The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 114 of 114

User Info Menu

My favorites have been the Keeley 4 button pedal, and the Mad Professor one, but i only use them for the specific effect when needed in funk, fusion etc., never for jazz. I generally dislike compressors, they feel like something is messing with my hard earned dynamics on the guitar. Some people use compressors really creatively, and it becomes their voice (same with excessive reverb use), but play a ballad or acoustic guitar stuff without compression and reverb and it really challenges and develops your technique.

And of course even if you play without a compressor, when playing live with a tube amp you have enough compression going on already in the amp, and when recording again there 's some compression, being mixing or mastering.. Youtube compresses the hell out of the audio, as do most recording equipment.

For acoustic playing and recording, i 've found software plugins to be a lot better than pedals, as you can control things better, have your recording done with full dynamics and apply compression later, and also avoid coloring of the sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    Origin Cali76 is a great compressor, the Cali76TX with transformer is even better (nice warm tone). These are based on the UREI 1176 studio compressor of the late 60's. The Cali76 isn't cheap, but it's a really really nice studio quality compressor in a pedal.
    FWIW I saw Kurt Rosenwinkel use a Cali76TX at a gig in Sweden in January.
    Sweet tone as usual.

User Info Menu

I play a 1961 ES 175D through a Fender princeton Recording. THe natural compression from the tubes is OK but the amp also includes a compression circuit which is very close to the early MXR DyanaComps with sensitivity and level controls. Works fine for me if I need to increase sustain without changing the overall vibe.
    The MXR Super Comp includes an attack dial, which for some of my single coil instruments is useful for getting more "bite". there are a few pedals that also have a delay adjustment to really balance the degree of compression, but you rarely see that outside of a studio...

User Info Menu

For me the two features that make a compressor usable imho are the mix/blend knob (so you can fine tune the balance of compressed signal with uncompressed), and the LED/needle meters that show how many db of compression you're actually getting. Oh... a third: adjustable compression ratios (1/2, 1/4, 1/10 etc.) Again, a little goes a long way, but I really appreciate having an Empress on my board. And it sounds/works even better now that I have a Sarno Black Box tube buffer at the beginning of the signal chain. (Disclaimer: I was a recording engineer for 10 years, so that might something to do with it.)

User Info Menu

The only guitar I need to use a compressor with is a Strat.

User Info Menu

Either my ears or shot or my headphones are crap but I listen to YouTube videos of compressor pedals and I don't hear must difference on or off!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Either my ears or shot or my headphones are crap but I listen to YouTube videos of compressor pedals and I don't hear must difference on or off!
    Thing is that most YouTube videos are heavily compressed so that doesn't help.

I like my compressor in a setting where you can't really tell when you turn it on but you miss it when it's off, if that makes any sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blille; 04-22-2017 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Thing is that most YouTube videos are heavily compressed so that doesn't help.

I like my compressor in a setting where you can't really tell when you turn it on but you miss it when it's off, if that makes any sense
    That does make sense. I'm that way with a bunch of pedals: say chorus.

User Info Menu

I have a Dynacomp I never used that I have been messing with lately and I'm liking it. Now I'm wondering if I'd like an MXR M76 "studio" compressor more. Any experience/ opinions?

Hack

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell made a couple of records in the 60's that came out on the Chess Label and - if I'm not mistaken - were recorded in Chicago. The tone he has on those sides is to die for and one of the reasons is the use of an original UREI studio compressor, the
    new thing to have in those days. I tried to emulate that tone for years and when I tried a TC Electronic Nova Dynamics.

Compressor Pedals for Jazz Guitar?-tc-electronic-nova-dynamics-jpg

I came really close. There is a "studio compressor" mode in that pedal that lets you tweak the sound to a really fine point so that the typical pedal compressor artifacts don't appear. You can choose the bandwidth and it stays just a hair away from sounding artificial and
    overbearing. I must say though that in my case the compressor really only works because I have a rather strong pick attack - I like the heightened PLOP I get. What I do not like is the tone of a hard working, pumping compressor - like Philippe Catherine gets on his earlier recordings. He wanted more sustain so he cranked the thing ...
    What I do want to try out though are the new Cali76 units but sadly these are either unknown to most store owners over here or they think they are too expensive....
    Last edited by gitman; 04-28-2017 at 06:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Kenny's Sound (1966, Cadet Records) :

User Info Menu

My Carl Martin compressor/limiter is the the most beautiful sounding compressor my ears have ever heard. However, I almost never use for jazz. Downside is that it has a hardwired AC cord, so can't go into a dedicated pedalboard power supply.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    The first compressor I enjoyed for cleans is the one on the Amplifire... a threshold control is essential, very subtle yet effective. Hard to play without it now.
    Hi, can you share your compressor settings in Amplifire? If you can share a preset much better.

Can you emulate tube compression with a compressor pedal (into ss amp)?