The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 56

User Info Menu

I really like Dunlop's 'Jazz' shape. I've tried pretty much everything they make in that shape. A number of years ago, I settled on red nylon Jazz III's for all my guitars.

Recently, I had the opportunity to try a couple of their new variations:
    1) 'Max Grip' Jazz III's - a nice idea, but too grippy - feels like the pick is stuck to my fingers.
    2) Ultex Jazz III - I like these, but I still like the red nylon Jazz III's better.

So, since I have about 100 of them (20 in each of 5 guitar cases), and they're extremely durable (I change picks when I change strings!), I'll still stick with the red nylon Jazz III's. I remain open to trying other similar shapes from other manufacturers as well as Dunlop. Just my 2 cents ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've used those and Jazz IIIs and they are great picks, but I go back and forth with them. Currently, I'm using the Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm.

User Info Menu

I used the Jazz III's for a long time but now I'm playing the Stubby 3mm. Same shape--near enough--just a lot thicker.

User Info Menu

This thread got me a thinking...

A pick, if not the easiest way to change ones sound, it's certainly got to be one of the most economical.

User Info Menu

I am constantly torn between

what works for some situations and doesn't for others

what sounds best

what is easiest to play

and after playing dunlop jazz stubbies (3.0 I think) for many years I know use fender heavy jazz picks. A little less abrasive, but admittedly thinner sounding.

User Info Menu

I fail so hard with picks, am stuck with the thumb and finger picking .

User Info Menu

When I started back playing guitar I used Fender small teardrop (358) heavy the round side not the point ,but found that I was not able to play rhythm the way I would like so I went on a quest for a pick that I felt could do both rhythm and lead.
    The one that seem to spend the most time in my hand is Fender Heavy rounded triangle classic celluliod (346) after Joe lano gave me one, it did take some time to get used to but now it feel fine.
    Sometines D'Andera rounded pro plek triangle and rounded teardrop when I want a more rounded treble string tone but clicks on strings a little.
    I also really like the shape of the Dunlop red jazz 1,2,3 but not the tone I fine it a little harsh,I wish I could find this shape in classic celuliod.
    Last edited by bluemood; 01-02-2011 at 03:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Has anyone noticed a change in the black dunlop jazz III. I have been using them for about 20 to 25 years and they seem harder. They used to wear very quickly ( which I liked). Recently I found an old bag of them and they are different. Does annyonr know if they still sell the older version? They sound warmer do to the slightly softer material (almost like a graphite).

User Info Menu

I have a few picks laying around now that I like--for softer, electric playing, I've really fallen for a John Pearce "Fast Turtle" 5mm pick. But it sounds best with a light touch.

I also keep on hand a Wegen Gypsy Jazz pick (specifically for GJ) an assortment of Dunlop jazztones (liking the 207 on my archtops) and a few David "Dawg" Grisman mandolin picks (big, thick, very round) which pretty much sound good on anything, and sound very good when played hard.

My picks have gotten bigger in the last year--it was playing with that Wegen...made the little jazz picks feel really small after a few hours of Django-style jamming...With the quest for a bigger pick came new options...I think of them as paintbrushes now--I'm not gonna try to get too tied to one in particular.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Mr B, those Wegens retrain your fingers. I've used the Gypsy Jazz 3.5mm. How 'bout you?

User Info Menu

Anybody use these?
    V-Picks Small Pointed Lite 1.5mm, SPLGP
    I don't know if I want to pay $3.50 for a pick, though, unless it lasts for year (and I learn to stop dropping them and losing them).

User Info Menu

This thread came at a good time for me. I have been using the same pick, a Butterfly pick slightly larger than the Dunlop jazz picks, but lately have decided to try some others. I really like the shape of the Butterfly, but lately wonder if something else sounds better. Plus, their website seems to be down, so I don't know if they are still in production. So, I invested in some new picks and pulled out a ziplock baggie with some old ones. I'm leaning to the Dunlop III that I used to use, but also like the Blue Chip jazz size a lot. I'm also trying the John Pearse buffalo horn pick and a couple other John Pearse picks, but the jury is our on those.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    Yeah, Mr B, those Wegens retrain your fingers. I've used the Gypsy Jazz 3.5mm. How 'bout you?
    Yeah, that's what I have now. I've never noticed a pick that could make such a difference in tone--mind you--only on my Gitane. It goes from an okay sounding Gypsy Jazz guitar without to a really great sounding one with. "15 dollars for a pick! Hell no!" some would say.

I call it the cheapest mod (along with a good set of strings) imaginable.

User Info Menu

1) 'Max Grip' Jazz III's - a nice idea, but too grippy - feels like the pick is stuck to my fingers.
    2) Ultex Jazz III - I like these, but I still like the red nylon Jazz III's better.

quote]

I tried those "Max Grips" a while back myself--agreed--too grippy and I didn't like the tone. I had previously gotten the Ultex teardrop and let it sit around for about a year, then actually tried it and WOW! That's my pick now. I also got the Jazz III Ultex and use it, as well.

I ordered a few of the red Jazz IIIs, and just don't like them--a little more harsh attack than the Ultex ones. The thing is, though, that I modify my picks by sanding them and polishing them with progressively finer sandpapers and finally a piece of leather until they have a mirror shine on the rounded edges. Can't do that this as well with the Red Jazz III material. I got this idea from my background as a classical guitarist who has learned to fuss over nail shape, angle, and smoothness.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by life_with_a_song
    I ordered a few of the red Jazz IIIs, and just don't like them--a little more harsh attack than the Ultex ones.
    That's interesting: I find just the opposite to be the case. Goes to show you that how you pick is certainly at least as important as what you pick with!

Anyway, if you want a smoother Jazz III, check this out - the Eric Johnson Classic Jazz III! I'm not making this up - I copied and pasted it right from the Dunlop Website!

User Info Menu

My picks are custom made from Cambodian chicken beaks.

User Info Menu

My favorite picks right now are the Pickboy jazz. They're the same shape as the Dunlop Jazz IIIs, but slightly larger and perhaps not quite as pointed. More mellow than the Jazz IIIs, at least when I'm picking. They come in 1.0, 1.2 and 1.5mm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    That's interesting: I find just the opposite to be the case. Goes to show you that how you pick is certainly at least as important as what you pick with!

Anyway, if you want a smoother Jazz III, check this out - the Eric Johnson Classic Jazz III! I'm not making this up - I copied and pasted it right from the Dunlop Website!
    Yeah--I tried those, too, when I ordered the others. The Ultex are more harsh until you sand and buff them down--and then they last forever. To each his or her own!

User Info Menu

I've only used one pick the past year--RedBear Lil Jazzer, great grip, feel, sound, with sufficient weight to really go at heavier strings. yes, it's the one that costs $20 with the "grown from a protein in a Petrie dish" storyline, but since I haven't lost it (came close a couple times--ever see a grown man crawl in the street gutter in the dead of winter?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol

i use this pick, nice grip, and tone somewhat like finger picking.

User Info Menu

For electric playing, I use Dunlop Jazztone 205.

For acoustic rhythm playing, I use Dunlop Ultex 1.2mm triangular (works better for me for vigorously strumming because I after all these years of playing still tend to be a pick dropper).

Both are extreme durable. I have a bagful of each, so I should have picks for the rest oif my lifetime.

I have tried a few of the very expensive "custom" picks in exotic materials, but have never found them any better than the above cheap Dunlops. Since they works well for me, I see no need to do further (costly) experiments.

User Info Menu

I keep trying new ones but the Jazz III always finds its way back to my fingers. I do keep some Dunlop Nylon .73s around for brighter sounds, especially on the electric.

EG

User Info Menu

I've used red Jazz IIIs for years, nothing else works for me. I prefer the Max Grip version, though it took a couple of weeks to get used to them.

User Info Menu

I've been comparing the red nylon Jazz III's I've used for years now to the new Ultex Jazz III's again this week. I think I may switch to the Ultex version after all (for now).

User Info Menu

I have an ultex that my brother in law gave me. He was hardcore Red IIIs for the longest time. Me, I have about 5 different picks that I bounce between as the mood moves me. It is cheaper than changing guitars