Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 61

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting the Hofner Chancellor with the classic finish.
    I really like the look and I think the specs is rather good.
    This would be my first ''proper'' Jazz guitar if I were to get it.

What do you guys think? Would it be a good buy?
    Can I please get feedbacks and comments from you guys.

Another things is that,I'm thinking of changing the pickup to a
    Attila Zoller's Shadow pickup which is neck mount instead of
    attachment to the pickguard like the one issued.
    Is it possible to get the Shadow's on this guitar without changing or sacrifying any parts? Does anyone knows?

Thanx,
    Faris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Faris,
    I have AZ Shadow for sale if you are interested.
    ...but I think Hofner Chancellor is a great guitar/expensive/.
    YOU do not need to change pick ups.
    Regards
    Kris

User Info Menu

Have you played the guitar much? I usually live with the pickup for a while before thinking of switching. is this a German or a Chinese Höfner?
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

The stock hofner pickups are damn good...I'd wait before switching.

Hofner used to use the Zoller pups. They don't anymore. That might say something.

The Chancellor is a first class instrument on every level, as are all of the German made Hofners I've played. You will not be dissapointed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    Faris,
    I have AZ Shadow for sale if you are interested.
    ...but I think Hofner Chancellor is a great guitar/expensive/.
    YOU do not need to change pick ups.
    Regards
    Kris
    I'll buy that Shadow! (seriously)

Hofner Pickups are great. Do not swap it. Made by Schaller. I actually bought a Hofner pickup on ebay to use with another guitar. I'm a big fan. It is articulate, warm, and has no noise. Chancellor is a pricey guitar but judging by quality of the New President i owned, it is worth the cost.

BTW the pickups on Hofners are mounted to the neck via a plastic ring. It is nice because you can adjust the height and angle of the pickup much more easily than you could with a normal floating pickup.

User Info Menu

The Hofner pickups on my Hofner Very Thin Classic are Fantastic ...Designed by Kent Armstong.

User Info Menu

Nice guitar.

It is Hofner's flagship guitar, made in Germany, the first and only archtop guitar Hofner have made with carved maple back plate and solid maple rims as well as a carved spruce top.

They have built very few of these instruments since launching the model in 2004. They are not expensive at all compared to other 17" all-carved archtops.

User Info Menu

Another vote for Hofner PU's.

Also another vote for the value of German-made Hofners vs. other similar guitars made in countries with similar costs. They are a bargain.

My one significant gripe is the 16th fret clearance from the body. This sounds like it would be a good thing, and for many it clearly is.

But I always have the sense that the lower position frets are off in another room to the left. It is a small difference, but worth noting in my opinion.

Also, the neck is long. First there is the 25 1/2" scale, then the extra 2 frets of clearance. In a climate with extreme humidity change (humid tropical summer, extremely dry winter) the change in relief is far more than on any guitar I have ever owned. I had a Verythin JS for a few years and really had to adjust the truss rod 3 or 4 times as the guitar dried out, then another 3 or 4 times as it swelled back up.

More complete humidification would solve this of course. And with the solid woods in the Chancellor, very attentive humidification is a good idea anyway. Nonetheless the twice-a-year multiple neck tweaks were a chore that I do not need to do on any other guitar.

So, in my opinion they are fantastic sounding guitars and a bargain - with a notable quirk.
    Last edited by NiAg; 01-21-2011 at 12:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh, and a 7mm metric socket wrench for those tweaks...You won't find a nut for an allen wrench under that cover!

I have a verythin standard that's neck has been pretty stable so far, although it did need a little tweak when I switched to the .11 gauge flatwounds I use from whatever was on there. But it was an easy process...we'll see how she behaves in a few months when things "wet up" around here.

User Info Menu

DOUBLE-CUTAWAY SEMIS - APPLES:

The Hofner Verythin family of double-cutaway instruments are typical of the form, with neck/body joints at the 18th fret. This style of instrument, established by the Gibson ES-335, is completely different from traditional single-cutaway, hollow jazz guitars. It provides unimpeded neck access as far up the neck as most guitar players ever want, and is a classic style.

While it has been increasingly adopted by jazz players over the years, it is far-better-known as an instrument used for rock and blues. Hofner's Verythin JS, Verythin Classic and older Verythin Standards are all in that family, with key design differences such as the 25 1/4" (not 25 1/2") scale, and the shape and depth of the instrument, the solid spruce block running the length of the body, and the mini-humbuckers.

On all instruments of this design, it is normal to use the trussrod to make seasonal adjustments.

SINGLE-CUTAWAY JAZZ GUITARS - ORANGES:

The Hofner Jazzica, New President and Chancellor instruments are within the general and classic form of hollow arched-top jazz guitars, with key design differences including use of a 16th fret neck/body joint (as opposed to the typical 14th fret joint. Interestingly, Felixe Staerke built non-cutaway "ESTE" archtops in the 1930s with 15th fret neck/body joints). The "long" scale is 25 1/4", close to that used on many 17" and 18" jazz guitars, but harder to find on 16" archtop guitars.

One could call the design "quirky" but I don't think it's way-out or off-beat - more idiosyncratic, just a characteristic of these instruments that makes them different.

The 16th fret neck/body joint is an innovative feature that provides better access to the higher frets. It moves the neck away from the body by less than 1 1/4" compared to traditional jazz guitars like the similar scale L-5C. I don't think this is a significant contributor to seasonal changes in neck relief, although it no doubt is a small factor. The 16th fret neck/body joint is by far the most common style of glued-in neck joint for electrified guitars, used on millions of single-cutaway guitars (every Les Paul and Les-Paul-style guitar ever built) and is quite stable.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-21-2017 at 05:26 AM.

User Info Menu

No, not curmudgeonly. They're very different guitars, for sure--my point was only to bring up the truss rod adjustment nut and to say (in an earlier post) that across the board, the hofner pickups are very good.

User Info Menu

[Hammertone] >>> I being curmudgeonly here, or what?

I would not say so. I was pretty sloppy in mixing apples and oranges above (and even left out the bananas of a Hofner asymetrical neck,...).

I am, for geographical and other reasons, rather familiar with the need for seasonal neck adjustments.

Further, it is common for Ebony to shrink/swell along the growth (aka "grain") axis more than rosewood.

Nonetheless I am surprised by how much the JS neck would move seasonally. It is a decent hunk-o-maple, yet whipped back and forth quite a bit.

In my opinion, many hollow archtops (joined, as you note, at the 14th) get by with little or no seasonal adjustment - particularly those with maple necks and rosewood FB's (love me them Guilds).

I have the opinion that the Chancellor is great, and a great value, but that the extra clearance comes with some minor side effects.

Indeed, as you mention, the truss-supported neck length would be shorter than a Verythin, and longer than a 14th fret-joined 24.75" scale guitar.

Thanks for noting the sloppy mixed fruit.
    Last edited by NiAg; 01-21-2011 at 02:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NiAg View Post

Further, it is common for Ebony to shrink/swell along the growth (aka "grain") axis more than rosewood.
    That's interesting, considering ebony is "harder" than rosewood, but it also makes sense to me, when you consider the things ebony is most often used (and not used) for in guitar building... Good food for thought NiAg.

User Info Menu

Yeah, the wood industry is mostly concerned with the relationship between the swell/shrink of the radial axis vs. the tangential axis and ignores the vertical (or "growth", or "grain") axis in wood specifications.

But here in luthio-land we laminate different woods (maple Fenders and such notwithstanding) on the neck yet also recognize that tension on along the neck is a critical factor.

Ebony is the traditional "high-end" wood for FB's, and as you say is quite a bit harder than rosewood. But rosewood is more than hard enough, and had a few virtues. One is the reduced change caused by humidity. The other is that re-frets are typically far easier on rosewood FB since they do not chip out nearly so much as Ebony, plus there seems to be a slightly better resilience to the wood, so fret tang width and "nubbin" protrusion os not as critical.

But this is a long drift from the fine Hofner Chancellor,...

User Info Menu

i almost had a jazzica a few months ago, but the cat who was selling got cold feet....not that I could blame him!

I sulked for a week and then came across a good del on my veruthin, which I ended up liking more.

But there's a hofner archtop somewhere in my future, I know it. Beautiful guitars...why I ever passed up buying spiral's new president I'll never know! That chancellor in the violin_ish finish is too friggin' gorgoeous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    why I ever passed up buying spiral's new president I'll never know!
    The more i keep looking for a nice acoustic archtop the more i regret selling it. There is one on Chicago Craigslist right now but the guy wants too much for it.

LOL @ Hammertone's avatar.

User Info Menu

Hofner makes very few jazz guitars in Germany these days.
    Jazzicas and New Presidents are not commonplace, but they are around, new and used. The Jazzica is not in the 2010/2011 Hofner catalogue.
    Chancellors are in the catalogue but harder to find - Hofner makes even fewer of them.
    Thin Presidents (hollow ones with carved tops) and Vice-Presidents have not been in the catalogue for awhile.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-21-2017 at 05:27 AM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

Spiral,
    How much should a new president sell for.
    There is a beautiful blonde one on SF bay
    Craigslist right now. Only like 10 miles from me.
    He wants $2200.
    Darin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DarinB View Post
    Spiral,
    How much should a new president sell for.
    There is a beautiful blonde one on SF bay
    Craigslist right now. Only like 10 miles from me.
    He wants $2200.
    Darin
    That's tricky. What something is worth is complex, especially if you like a guitar. I will dodge the question and give you some thoughts:
    • quality-wise, it is on par with private luthier-made instruments which puts the value near around $3500-$4000. It is really well made and sounds as good acoustically as it does electrically (the Hofner Diamond pickup sounds great). the finish is poly (for the natural ones) but it is a relatively light coat. I preferred it for durability. Despite being pretty young wood, the top was very clear and had a snappy tone, even with flatwounds. I'm just now appreciating the quality of the guitar as i slog dissatisfied through dozens of other models
    • what people are paying for them is another matter. the brand new price got inflated because of import duties so i think in the US the new retail isn't in line with Europe (how Europe must feel about Gibson et. al.)--Hammertone can verify.
    • I tried selling mine for about $1700 last year on (msg boards / CL) which i thought was a blowout deal. No one else did. It eventually sold on ebay for $1690. I've watched a few others during that time around the $2k mark that got relisted over and over.
    • It is worth $2k or more, but the name just isn't there to generate demand.
    • high-end guitar market is really depressed right now
    • If you love it, and have been on the lookout, it's worth buying because they are fairly rare and if there is one you can go play, it might be a love connection.

Here was some discussion from when i was selling mine:
    For Sale: Hofner New President hand carved archtop hollowbody

User Info Menu

On the other hand, European advertised prices usually include tax, while American and Canadian prices don't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    I checked the European price. [...] So, advertised prices for these instruments in the US appear to be similar to or even slightly lower than prices in Europe.
    Thanks for a fact-check. I seem to recall either a message board post, or a conversation with Jeff Hale that the Hofners in the US spiked in price a big amount a few years ago because of import duties or a weak dollar. So maybe they were much less and only now they are in line with European prices? Either way, they are great, under-appreciated guitars.

@DarinB: post back if you decide to check out that New President near you.

User Info Menu

There was a significant price increase in the price of the Hofner New President from a 2007 MSRP of $3,595 to a 2008 MSRP of $4,799, probably due to the significant rise of the euro against the US dollar. Other than that, prices have been very stable.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-21-2017 at 05:29 AM.

User Info Menu

As of September 2013:
    2013 MSRP on a Chancellor in the US was @ $9,800 - $10,000. MAP in the US was @$6,800 - $6,900
    Deal pricing from a dealer was probably somewhere between US$6,000 and US$6,500, but that's just a guess.
    Hofner only made a few of them per year from 2004 to 2011, and then only made them to order, and ...not really.

It was specifically designed to be and really shines as an amplified archtop, with flatwound strings, in the tradition of a Johnny Smith, Legrande, Artist Award or similar instruments. The 16th fret neck/body joint adds tremendous functionality, IMO.

If anyone is interested in this model, just send me a note - I can probably tickle one out of Hofner. I think I'll hold onto the ones I have but... one never knows.

Obsession is a strange taskmaster.

Last edited by Hammertone; 05-23-2019 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Here are pix of the one I sold most recently (in the middle in the group shots above):

Last edited by Hammertone; 03-21-2018 at 03:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Yep, that's what "obsession" looks like alright. But aren't you a dealer, or are these your personal stash?
    When I got pretty good I went on the road with a group - We starved - Wes Montgomery

User Info Menu

I worked with Hofner as a consultant for several years, continue to be friends with them, and was directly involved in the development of this model.
    I also was the distribution agent for Hofner in Canada from 2007 until recently and carry an inventory of German-built instruments. But these in particular are in my personal collection.
    I figured I'd capture them as a group, since I'm selling the one in the middle (now sold).

[ed. - may as well post the spes for the one I sold - typical:]
    17" archtop guitar.
    Solid hand carved bookmatched spruce top.
    Solid hand carved bookmatched flame maple back.
    3" solid flame maple rims.
    Body binding, front - black / maple / black / maple / black / maple / black.
    Body binding, back - black / maple / black / maple / black.
    One piece flame maple neck.
    16th fret neck/body joint.
    Ebony fingerboard, black / white binding, mother-of pearl block inlays, 22 frets.
    Ebony headstock cap, black / white binding, mother-of pearl lilies-of-the-valley inlays.
    Ebony bridge…..
    H61/EB-G Schaller gold-plated tuners, ebony buttons .
    H62/EB-G Ebony tailpiece.
    Bone nut.
    H514/FN-G - floating, gold-plated mini-humbucking pickup, mounted to end of fingerboard/neck.
    ebony pickguard with ?
    1 x Volume, 1 x Tone.
    Includes custom-made Winter 5-ply hardshell case w/humidifier and hygrometer.

Standard Hofner scale length of 25 1/4" | 64.3 cm.
    The neck has a lovely "C" shape.
    The finish carving on the neck was done by Dieter Fischer (now retired)
    and his magic knife:
    -width at nut: 1 23/32" | 1.7188" | 4.37 cm.
    -width at 12th fret: 2 3/32" | 2.0938" | 5.3182 cm.
    -depth at 1st fret: 29/32" | 0.9063" | 2.302 cm.
    -depth at 12th fret: 1" | 1" | 2.54 cm.

Last edited by Hammertone; 03-20-2018 at 11:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I dig what appears to be an 18"!
    When I got pretty good I went on the road with a group - We starved - Wes Montgomery

User Info Menu

I must say hammertone, that I love your couch also...maybe I only noticed it since I've been hunting for one lately lol

And in case it's not implied those gits are amazing looking as well.

User Info Menu

They are all Chancellors.
    - 17" lower bout width
    - 3" deep rims

The neck of the Chancellor meets the body at the 16th fret, not the 14th fret.
    In order to do this without visually locating bridge and f-holes too high, the waist is a bit higher and the body is a bit shorter in height than other 17" archtops.
    We are so used to seeing certain proportions with these guitars that it suggests a wider guitar.
    Some folks in Hofnerland think it's ugly, others see it as distinctive.
    The number of used Chancellors on the market suggests how owners feel about these guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by 50Hz View Post
    I must say hammertone, that I love your couch also...maybe I only noticed it since I've been hunting for one lately lol...
    Heh, my wife wanted a red leather couch and said "I like it" when she saw this one. No-brainer. It's marginally less bright in person, btw.
    But, does Patrick approve?

Last edited by Hammertone; 03-20-2018 at 11:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Heh, my wife wanted a red leather couch and said "I like it" when she saw this one. No-brainer. It's marginally less bright in person, btw.

But, does Patrick approve?
    Well . . . it's a hell of a lot nicer than that . . . . Oh . . never mind.

By the way . . ALL of those Hofners are just way over the top beauties. How the hell did you ever decide which of them to sell? Kinda like picking one of your children to send "to the Gypsies".
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

User Info Menu

Talk about obsession... I was so into looking at the guitars that I never even noticed the red couch until this came up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2 View Post
    Well . . . it's a hell of a lot nicer than that . . . . Oh . . never mind.
    By the way . . ALL of those Hofners are just way over the top beauties. How the hell did you ever decide which of them to sell? Kinda like picking one of your children to send "to the Gypsies".
    Easy. I'm selling the one with the least large neck.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-21-2018 at 03:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ooglybong View Post
    Talk about obsession... I was so into looking at the guitars that I never even noticed the red couch until this came up!
    It's pretty easy to understand this sentiment seeing how amazing those gits are man...haha...

User Info Menu

Easy.
    I'm selling the one with the least large neck.
    You're a stronger man than I am in that regard. I've got a few arch tops with neck carves that are a bit thinner than I prefer. Yet, I still can't bring myself to sell them. I hate selling arch tops. I'm still not sure how I was able to let go of that Guild Benedetto Johnny Smith Award. I'll probably wind up buying another one, if I come accross one as good as the opulent brown one I sold. But, that's going to be a real difficult one to find. I still say I've never heard a voice like that on an arch top guitar . . ever!!
    Patrick2 . . Heritage representative (now former)

User Info Menu

if i only had the money !

User Info Menu

I was updating a few for sale listings, found this old thread, and thought I'd update it with news for 2018.

Hofner is still offering the Chancellor (my favourite Hofner), at least according to their website. It shows a thinline Chancellor available in a violin varnish finish, which is pretty *&^%$ cool. Noteworthy simply because there are so few of these guitars around, new or used.

My guess is that they have a few sets of top and back plates and will continue to offer these guitars until they run out of these plates and/or steam, whichever comes first.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-20-2019 at 11:55 PM.

User Info Menu

So beautiful. Any idea about pricing?
    ---
    "Everything you do is practice for something else."
    - Adam Rogers, quoting one of his teachers.

User Info Menu

The Chancellor has disappeared from the price lists.
    They typically don't put "Limited Edition" or custom-requested instruments on their price lists.
    [ed: It was up on the Hofner website until sometime in the spring of 2018, when it disappeared]
    My guess is that it probably has a street price somewhere around $7K in the US.

"Junction Music" in Grand Junction, Colorado (
    looks to be a music teacher, not a store) has a used natural finish 2008 full-depth model (3" rims) in mint condition on ebay with a BIN of US $3,500 or BO. Someone should grab it - that is stupidly cheap and they obviously have no clue what it is.

As of March 21, 2018, there are a few in Europe:
    -Marnic has
    a violin finish one listed at 8,190 euros (@9,140 - 9,150 USD)
    -Leih Instrumente has a violin finish one listed at 7,966 euros (@
    8,890-8,900 USD)
    -Thomann has a natural finish one listed
    at
    6,899 euros (@7,700 USD)
    -Umbrella Music has a natural finish one, used listed at 3,758.77 pounds (@4,785-5,000 USD).

Last edited by Hammertone; 05-23-2019 at 01:47 PM.

User Info Menu

The full depth version is 3 inches. I'm curious - what is the depth of the 'thinline'?.

User Info Menu

HT,

GORGEOUS Hofners, man. I can hear them from here.

If anyone doubts Hofner's quality in the top-shelf archtop market, all I can say is that the old (80s) Hofner AZ Award model that Attila Zoller, Jimmy Raney and others played was as good as it gets. Hofner knows how to get it done with an all solid-wood archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmorash View Post
    The full depth version is 3 inches. I'm curious - what is the depth of the 'thinline'?.
    @2 1/4 - 2 1/2"
    Go figure...

Just a guess, but they probably had a few sets of rims that didn't quite make the grade at the 3" depth. The elves are very practical folk.
    They are following in the noble footsteps of Gibson by providing a lot of useless information, but not including some of the important information.

CME has one of these on reverb, FYI.

Hofner Chancellor Violin Varnish USED | Reverb

The black binding on these gets me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by child as audience View Post
    CME has one of these on reverb, FYI.

Hofner Chancellor Violin Varnish USED | Reverb

The black binding on these gets me.
    Hey, Just chiming in to say that's my guitar for sale. Bought it off of Hammertone. Absolutely no issues with this guitar, whatsoever. It is in fantastic condition. I sold it and two others to CME (there's a spotless blonde 1984, last year at Kalamazoo 175 with Shaw pickups for sale there that used to be mine as well). The reason I sold it as as follows:

(1) I am absolutely not a collector and hate seeing instruments collect dust. I'd rather play my L5C and even a relatively beater like 1937 L7 ( L7 also purchased from Hammertone). I found myself having more instruments than I play, and started hating myself. The L7 I will NEVER sell, it's a fantastic acoustic archtop. and the L5C I will never sell, it's from the early 60s and perfect. I have attempted to buy Ibanez FBs, Gibson Howard Roberts and 175s multiple times and never bonded with them. Wound up selling them every time. My Jim Hall, which I traded away, I really regretted and I wound up buying an even better one. the Sadowsky JH is a lifer. I

(2) Having gotten my guitars down a select few again, I feel much better and am commissioning a Brahms guitar. The sale of these sold guitars will essentially pay for the Brahms guitar. If you don't know what that is, google "Paul Galbraith" and Brahms guitar. It is an incredible instrument.

You can't go wrong with this Chancellor, it's priced CHEAP as these goes, and it's spotless. The '84 Shaw pup 175 is spotless as well.
    Navdeep Singh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ View Post
    Hey, Just chiming in to say that's my guitar for sale. Bought it off of Hammertone. Absolutely no issues with this guitar, whatsoever. It is in fantastic condition. ... You can't go wrong with this Chancellor, it's priced CHEAP as these goes, and it's spotless.
    $3,495. Yeah, that's a great deal, and this is a fine guitar that sounds and plays great.

As of May, 2019, the Chancellor has disappeared from Hofner's website. Up until earlier in 2019, there were a couple of archtops shown, including a German-made Chancellor, an all-laminated German-made "New Committee", and a bunch of Chinese-made archtops. They have all been removed. Maybe they'll be back tomorrow. Or not. There may be one or two in varying states of assembly hanging from the ceiling at Hofner, waiting to be completed, or a stack of top and back plates sitting on a shelf, gathering dust. Or not. Maybe a Chancellor will pop up again on their site, or at a retailer, offering Chancellor lovers some choice. Or not.

I certainly don't see them trying to get back into the archtop marketplace anytime soon, let alone make more Chancellors. Hofner made fewer than 150 of these guitars between 2003 and 2018 and they don't come up for sale, new or used, very often. This one for sale is a really lovely guitar. We'll see how long it takes to sell. If someone here chooses to buy it, perhaps they will post their impressions.

CMI's posted neck measurements are a bit off, I think. Unless I was drunk when I took these measurement from this instrument before originally selling it, the actual neck dimensions are:
    The guitar has a carved top, carved back and solid maple rims. It is very much like a Johnny Smith, Legrande, or Artist Award, but ... better.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-24-2019 at 10:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Are Hofner (Hooofner) tops thick or thin? I'm talking about the soundboard. I really like the thin top on my Eastman--I can feel every note and I feel like it speaks more acoustically than a thicker top (it definitely produces a different sound to my ear).

Also, has anyone played a Hofner with round wounds--how did it sound? I'm not sure if Jimmy Wyble played with round wounds on his Very Thin. All I know is that he loved that guitar.

I have a Shadow AZ and I like it, for now... If I were to get another pup, I'd go completely custom--John Carruthers makes some good pups (he kept pressuring me to buy one when I took my guitar in for a refret)

That old Hofner that Jimmy Raney played towards the end of his life looked absolutely wild. I wonder how it sounded in person.

User Info Menu

Speaking for my Jazzica, the top is incredibly thin relative to a Gibson-type of archtop. That and the single tone bar make it a very snappy and fast-responding instrument, and I typically use round-wounds on it.

User Info Menu

As of May, 2019, the Chancellor has disappeared from Hofner's website. Up until earlier in 2019, there were a couple of archtops shown, including a German-made Chancellor, an all-laminated German-made "New Committee", and a bunch of Chinese-made archtops. They have all been removed. Maybe they'll be back tomorrow. Or not. There may be one or two in varying states of assembly hanging from the ceiling at Hofner, waiting to be completed, or a stack of top and back plates sitting on a shelf, gathering dust. Or not. Maybe a Chancellor will pop up again on their site, or at a retailer, offering Chancellor lovers some choice. Or not.
    I certainly don't see them trying to get back into the archtop marketplace anytime soon, let alone make more Chancellors. Hofner made fewer than 150 of these guitars between 2003 and 2018 and they don't come up for sale, new or used, very often. This one for sale is a really lovely guitar. We'll see how long it takes to sell. If someone here chooses to buy it, perhaps they will post their impressions.
    Proving the point, now Chancellor-lovers have a choice.

Here's one, finished in 2019, dressed to sort of resemble a well-played Hofner archtop from the mid-1960s. How about that, eh? Only USD @8,000, plus shipping.
    Hofner The Chancellor Aged Prototype*One of a Kind All Solid | Reverb
    It has a reliced wax finish, a cool idea that Hofner has played around with a bit.

And Thomann has had a natural finish one in stock for awhile, or so they claim (bottom). This one dates back to 2016, and has a catalyzed polyester finish:
    Hofner Chancellor Natural – Thomann United States

And here's another new one - lovely! As an observer might note, no one has clue about these guitars - look at the price spread.
    Hofner Chancellor Violin Finish HC-V-0 | Reverb
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Chancellor-hof-chancellor-beyers-png Hofner Chancellor-screen-shot-2019-02-21-3-09-48-am-jpg Hofner Chancellor-hof-chancellor-americanguitarshopberlin-png Hofner Chancellor-hof-chancellor-cmi-used-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-23-2019 at 01:50 PM.

User Info Menu

CMI's posted neck measurements are a bit off, I think. Unless I was drunk when I took these measurement from this instrument before originally selling it, the actual neck dimensions are:
    The guitar has a carved top, carved back and solid maple rims.
    Very useful information, thanks for that. Do you also know if the Chancellor really has a 7.25" fretboard radius? Seems unlikely to me and would certainly be a dealbreaker.

User Info Menu

I don't know, but I suspect that's unlikely. What I can do is check the fretboard radius on the four Chancellors I have here, maybe along with those on a few New Presidents and Jazzicas. To quote George Wootton, channeled through the immortal Lone Watie, of course, "Let us endeavour to persevere!"
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-23-2019 at 12:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm not planning to buy one of the currently offered Chancellors but at one point in my life I want to add a carved top and back floating pickup 17" archtop to my L5 CES and the Chancellor has very interesting specs to me. And it would certainly be good to know about the fretboard radius they usually have. Of course I could just write an email to Hofner so please don't go through lengths to measure yours. But if you own those radius measure tools (don't know how to call them but you sure know what I mean) that let you measure the radius without removing the strings, I would certainly appreciate receiving this information from a reliable source as yourself.