The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    The buzz is still there. Thank you!
    Try hitting a note that buzzes, and then hold one by one the pickups, pickguard, and all the guitar's moving parts. If buzz doesnt come from the frets, somewhere will stop...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

research sympathetic vibration and look towards your tail piece as the culprit.

User Info Menu

Could it be the tross-rod?Had the same trouble on mine-drove me mad but took it to my tech and he adjusted/tweaked with the truss-rod.All ok now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzuki
    Could it be the tross-rod?Had the same trouble on mine-drove me mad but took it to my tech and he adjusted/tweaked with the truss-rod.All ok now.
    The short answer is, no. It probably isn't the truss rod, in this situation. While a poorly adjusted truss rod could cause a back bow . . (upward bow rather than excess relief bow) there would be buzzing all over the neck and not just in the areas the OP described. However, when lumping ALL the possibilities together . . ie . .. eneven or not perfectly level fret heights, bridge height, nut slot height, improper truss rod adjustment . . . then, yes . . . the truss rod could be part of the cause. However, it sounds like the OP and his tech addressed all of those other possibilities.

Obviously, if the buzzing is occuring at the 5th fret . . . then fret the guitar at the 6th position on the 5th and 6th strings and see if the buzzing is still there. If not, then level the frets. I have to assume all of these possibilities have been explored . . . as well as tightening the pup springs or replacing them with a stronger stiffer spring.

Nope!! I'm sticking with sympathetic vibration caused by certain harmonics, affecting something in the tail piece area.

This will sound goofy . . . but, I would try it anyway . . . change out the strings. Go the a brand new set of high quality flat wounds . . . see what that accomplishes. I have seen situations where the wound strings are defective or not properly wound causing an ever so faint buzzing. I'd give it a try. Wouldn't cost more than $15.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    This will sound goofy . . . but, I would try it anyway . . . change out the strings. Go the a brand new set of high quality flat wounds . . . see what that accomplishes. I have seen situations where the wound strings are defective or not properly wound causing an ever so faint buzzing. I'd give it a try. Wouldn't cost more than $15.
    I second that. I experienced some hard to locate high pitched buzzing with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings on my Triggs Master 400. I recently decided to try out a set of cheap Martin M150 bronze strings, though not for the reason of the buzzing. I was darned - the buzzing stopped. The Martin strings sound fine for rhythm strumming because they are bright and project well - and they only cost 1/5 of the D'Addario strings.

As for buzzing, through my 35 years with guitars, I have experienced buzzing from a loose truss rod, from badly cut nuts, from too deeply cut nuts, from badly designed tailpieces, from strings at the point where they are attached to the tailpiece, from a loose pickguard, from loose tuner buttons. Pickups is also a frequent source of buzzes/rattles. On my Gibson 175, the tip of a saxophone reed has for 25 years been wedged between the PU and the PU mounting ring to stop the PU from rattling sympathetically. Crude, but it works.

User Info Menu

I've had sympathetic resonance rattles from
    Pickup rings and a curly tailpiece myself

Difficult to locate , easy to fix
    drive you insane tho dunnit ?

I sympathise keep at it , it such a relief when you locate the culpret
    its a two person job really