The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

I use a V0X Valvetronic VT15 for home practice and its brilliant for getting a jazz sound out of my guitar. Its really reasonably priced for what it is and although it has loads of rock settings, it also has the typical real valve sound of the Vox's of old.
    I use the ac15 amp setting on the appliance and it sounds really warm.
    Someone gave me one on loan when I was on holiday in Canada and the first thing I did when I got home was to go out and purchase one
    Hugh.
    Last edited by Hugh; 10-13-2010 at 02:07 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a Vox AC15H1TV and it sounds great with my Eastman John Pisano. It doesn't have a lot of clean head room although it stays pretty clean at the volumes I play at. It's a very versatile amp and can actually cover a lot of tonal ground. Since I don't care about reproducing what is commonly referred to as "jazz tone" - I'm more interested in creating my own sound - it works well for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Thanks Steve. The input you and others have provided have assisted me from making a bad choice by getting the Vox.

I've decided to make a safe choice with something that I can easily move once I'm ready to upgrade...that is, after getting a lot more grips under my belt. I'm going with a Hendriksen Jazz Amp 112. I've got this thing about performing walking bass lines on piano. It's my desire to somehow integrate the passion for walking lines into a chord melody concept approach on guitar. Learning a new instrument I've got my work cut out for me, but I'm having fun.

I'd like to thank you and others for invaluable input to this guitar newbie.

Enjoy all!

Greg
    Greg,

No problem. Just trying to prevent the same mistake I made at one time. There is no "one amp fits all" thing, even with practice amps.

Of course, now the people who have that little Vox will come on and say "I have that amp and it's great, blah, blah".

That's fine, but if you want a jazz tone, get something else.

I have a 1966 Vox AC-30 Top Boost that I'll be buried with but I don't play my L-5 through it. If I want feedback or the sound of the solo of the Beatles' TAXMAN, I'll use it. If I want to have the tone of a Johnny Smith or John Pisano, I won't. Simple as that.

Get a Fender Deluxe Reverb, used. You can use it to practice. You can use it at a gig. It's pretty good for the money (and I have 10 amps, vintage and boutique). If I needed a practice amp or a small gig amp and needed a clean tone, the Deluxe would be the one. Add a pedal if you want to make it dirty. But you don't want that dirty sound built in! You can't switch it off!
    Last edited by Steve Hoffman; 10-13-2010 at 02:23 AM.

User Info Menu

I dig the sound Wolfgang Muthspiel gets from a pair of Vox amps.

User Info Menu

I'm going with a Hendriksen Jazz Amp 112.

The Henriksen is a great amp--I have a jazzamp head that I use with a redtone speaker cab, and it's a lightweight rig that's cool for practice at home, and it also has plenty of punch for a gig.

But it's also the furthest thing away from a tube amp going! How did you get to the Henriksen from the Vox?

But make no mistakes, the sound will be clean and pure, you'll have excellent control over your EQ. The only problem is, there's nothing to hide behind with the henriksen, so it will amplify your flubbed notes and mistakes just as pure and clean as your good stuff.

It's also a very "modern" sounding amp--much dry-er and very different from say, the jazz tones of the 1950's. Just keep that in mind.

Overall, it's an excellent choice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The Henriksen is a great amp--I have a jazzamp head that I use with a redtone speaker cab, and it's a lightweight rig that's cool for practice at home, and it also has plenty of punch for a gig.

But it's also the furthest thing away from a tube amp going! How did you get to the Henriksen from the Vox?
    Well, the only thing that initially motivated me about the Vox was from my association with home audio equipment over the years I'd been familiar with the sound of all the tubes the Vox used. I made one awful big assumption confusing audio gear design with guitar amp design thinking two tubes used in either world would produce a similar sound. Hey it's the same tube, it's gotta work like it does in my stereo...Well, from you and others I learned that clearly was NOT the case. Thank you all for the lesson.

Sooooo I went back and read Henriksen's comments on their 'about our amps' page...I'd somehow glossed over that before...and doing so I made an amazin' discovery. Their design philosophy seemed so radically sensical to me. To design an amp for acoustic instruments with no tone controls just made sense. Logically it makes sense not to color the tone of an acoustic instrument one is simply desiring to hear more of. That's been a guiding principle for most hi-end audio preamp's for several decades. Most won't provide a tone control, and there's many a $10 K plus preamplifier that won't provide a remote based on a 'less is more' philosophy that says the more we eliminate from the circuit the better the end result.

Henriksen's 'less is more' philosophy struck a nerve with me that said: I gotta sample me one of these! Some times a product chooses us for whatever reason. But of course I don't mind one bit that it says "jazz amp" on the front!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    But make no mistakes, the sound will be clean and pure, you'll have excellent control over your EQ. The only problem is, there's nothing to hide behind with the henriksen, so it will amplify your flubbed notes and mistakes just as pure and clean as your good stuff.

It's also a very "modern" sounding amp--much dry-er and very different from say, the jazz tones of the 1950's. Just keep that in mind.

Overall, it's an excellent choice, though.
    Clean 'n pure...that works for me! Thanks again for the assist.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353
    You may find some clues to you question in the following link...
    vacuumtube.com/FAQ...
    ... Have you tried your guitar through your JC-120? It's not called a 'Jazz Chorus' for nothing, imho. If you find that too 'clinical', then don't look for a clinical valve amp, I would say, but...horses for courses..., you choose.
    Hope this helps...
    Hi Dad3353. Thanks for all your suggestions y'day. You and others were a big help. No, I sold the '120 several years back when I had no further need of a keyboard amp. I've read some reports of 'hissing' from the JC's. Have you found that to be the case?

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

...I've read some reports of 'hissing' from the JC's. Have you found that to be the case?
    Good evening, Greg...
    Yes, some (not all...) JC-120s 'hiss', especially when using the chorus. It can be a nuisance when playing low-level, or recording, but a 120 at stage levels, you surely won't hear the hiss..!
    Other models are not usually known for this, although sensitive ears could detect some with the effects on. It's not enough to be a bother; my two are quiet as mice. There is no known cure; if it hisses, you live with it or sell. It's never been enough of a problem to me, but I've just been lucky, perhaps.
    All in all, the JCs are great amps (well, perhaps the 120 and 160 are a bit heavy for old sods like me...).

User Info Menu

Now that we've done the "guitar tube amplifiers are different" talk, don't forget the "guitar speakers are different" topic, too. They tend to colour the sound more than, say, PA speakers, with a midrange hump. Note, for example, that Henriksen can be asked to use a Eminence® Beta-A 12 speaker (a PA speaker) or a Eminence® Legend 1258 (a guitar speaker). And I'm not even thinking about the difference between ceramic and AlNiCo magnets in guitar speakers. Some Henriksens come with a tweeter, too. Heh, heh.... and you thought you were done deciding...

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Now that we've done the "guitar tube amplifiers are different" talk, don't forget the "guitar speakers are different" topic, too. They tend to colour the sound more than, say, PA speakers, with a midrange hump. Note, for example, that Henriksen can be asked to use a Eminence® Beta-A 12 speaker (a PA speaker) or a Eminence® Legend 1258 (a guitar speaker). And I'm not even thinking about the difference between ceramic and AlNiCo magnets in guitar speakers. Some Henriksens come with a tweeter, too. Heh, heh.... and you thought you were done deciding...
    Geez BD. You're absolutely correct. So how does one decide without being able to A/B an amp in person?

You just luv stirrin' the pot don't cha!

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353
    Good evening, Greg...
    Yes, some (not all...) JC-120s 'hiss', especially when using the chorus. It can be a nuisance when playing low-level, or recording, but a 120 at stage levels, you surely won't hear the hiss..!
    Other models are not usually known for this, although sensitive ears could detect some with the effects on. It's not enough to be a bother; my two are quiet as mice. There is no known cure; if it hisses, you live with it or sell. It's never been enough of a problem to me, but I've just been lucky, perhaps.
    All in all, the JCs are great amps (well, perhaps the 120 and 160 are a bit heavy for old sods like me...).
    Okay, thanks for your insights. Maybe I'll pick up a 120 as well, just to sample for guitar for I can always use the 120 with my digital keyboard, for the 'lil 20 watt stock speakers in it are so lame. I observed a 2 year old 120 on the 'bay today for less than $500, which seems a good price...hmmm

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Geez BD. You're absolutely correct. So how does one decide without being able to A/B an amp in person?

You just luv stirrin' the pot don't cha!
    Tweety: if you search this forum, you'll find reviews of Hendriksen amps and reviews, in particular, of the tweeter. The good news is, the extended versions with the tweeter have a switch to turn it off, and you can always buy the separate tweeter, otherwise.

For me, I like tweeters with flattop guitars, for the jangle/sparkle. For jazz guitars, not so much.

speaker choice: that's tougher. If you like more of a traditional jazz amp sound, that's a guitar speaker; if you like more of a drier, modern sound, that's suggests a speaker like the Eminence Beta.

For me, I like tweeters with flattop guitars, for the jangle/sparkle. For jazz guitars, not so much.

speaker choice: that's tougher. If you like more of a traditional jazz amp sound, that's a guitar speaker; if you like more of a drier, modern sound, that's suggests a speaker like the Eminence Beta.
    So BD what would you think about a Jazz Amp 112 that's been customized, meaning it's had the Eminence Beta replaced with the Eminence Legend 1258?

The factory tells me the Legend gives up some low end for more clarity in the high end, which is why the seller did the speaker swap. He's asking $600 shipped.

User Info Menu

I think the 12" Legend still has plenty of bass (some folks prefer a 10" combo). $600 sounds like a good price if it's in good condition.

I think the 12" Legend still has plenty of bass (some folks prefer a 10" combo). $600 sounds like a good price if it's in good condition.
    Okay thanks. The same seller has a Blues amp 12 as well for $100 more. The advantage there of course it's got a tweeter. Have you any experience with that model?

User Info Menu

No, but as I wrote, another forum member wrote a review of his "Tweety".

<searches/>

It was Tom Karol: https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...henriksen.html