The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I'm going to order one, It's been many moons since I picked up any instrument, but for the first 30 years or so., I played the trumpet in school, and a little jazz on it in college. After that strummed and noodled. Now life allows me to get back to the guitar. My playing interest s lies in Swing, Bop, Cool, Pre-Elvis R&B, Western Swing, and Western Kentucky finger pickin' (can you say 40's?).

I've never been much for tricks and hardware, just like a clean tone and good technique- keep it simple- so I've always had my gaze on jazz guitars. So a few weeks ago I started looking into it-starting at the top with the L-5's and Super 400's I cant afford- and contemplated the Gibson Herb Eliis for a few days. I got a good piece of wisdom though, that advised me to seek out the Asian guitars and keep some cash in the bank- to see if my interest would get to a point where it would justify such an investment. I remembered Aria from way back in 1970's in my high school days. They were selling what appeared to be a Howard Robertsesque thing with f-holes! Mighty interesting back then. I heard at the time they made good stuff for the money.

So I went and looked on the sites and liked all three of the floating pickup archtops Aria had listed for sale presently- the FA-50E, -71 and -77. the FA-50E and FA-71 had very good reviews, praising their value for money. I wavered between all three. I went deluxe and king size, choosing the FA-77. No (English) reviews on it, but the YouTube video made up for that. Something about it grabbed me, it just looks wonderful in the natural finish. The FA-77 also seems to be popular in Europe. Further net surfing, and it was obvious that the 77 is Aria's take on Benedetto.

I did notice something. While the FA-71 has a Sammick clone in the JZ-4, there are are no Sammick models to equate with the FA-50E and FA-77. Could these two be made in Japan, rather than Korea?

Anyway, if anyone has anything new to say on the FA-77, I'm all ears.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think If you like a guitar, wether people thinks its better or worse than another one doesn't really matters. For example, I have an ibanez af75, which lists for a little more than 300€. I checked my teacher's Yamaha AES1500, which costs more than three times the price of my ibanez, and really, I didn't like it any better. In fact, I found the tone poorer, and the neck was too chunky for me (I prefer the slimmer Ibanez one). So, If you love your Aria, at least you will hear it sounding better than other guitars (and maybe you can make it sound better too

User Info Menu

I've never played one, but have also been eyeing one for months now. It has a solid [edit: clem says it is pressed] top, is affordable, and looks to be really well made. For acoustic sound the 77 might be the leader in your list. Forum member "Davidh" has one so hopefully he will post some thoughts. I emailed him asking for some details but never heard back.

Of all the reviews i have read (many), i can't find any disparaging words about it. The common theme seems to be "can't believe the quality for the money; sounds and feels as good as guitars 2-3x's the price."

If you are in the US i know where you can get one brand new, set up, and for 20% less than the normal retail you see everywhere so PM me. I am so close to pulling the trigger on an FA77 myself. You should get it, post some sound clips and a review!
    Last edited by spiral; 09-27-2010 at 04:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I tried a Fa-77 last year in Montreal. A very nice guitar for the price. Great tone amplified, loud enough when played acoustic.

The top is not carved. It's a "pressed" solid spruce top.

I decided to buy an eastman 603 instead. For 400$ more, I got a real hand-carved guitar.

User Info Menu

Hi Kambor,I too have an af75 which for the money is a very well built guitar,i do feel the tone could bea little better though,do you think buying some upgraded pickups migh help. Dont get me wrong for what this guitar costs it is well worth it but i just wondered if you thought for the 100pounds or so it might make it ino a really serious jazz axe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clem_gael
    The top is not carved. It's a "pressed" solid spruce top.
    You are very correct. Sorry. I had read that it was carved but i guess it was anecdotal. The Aria site doesn't explicitly say carved so i should have assumed pressed. I just confirmed this with Aria USA. Either way, still a bargain at around $860.

User Info Menu

I went through the same process but wound up with an Epi Broadway. I went to Sam Ash in Atlanta and the nice folks there let me play several large archtops but I picked the Epiphone. Would LOVE an L5 but not enough coins.

Big Ron

User Info Menu

I bought an Epi EmpReg after trying what few 17 in guitars were around.
    If the FA-77 had had a cutaway it probably would have won. It is a better guitar than the Regent but that missing cutaway.. (and yes.. I DO play up there)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    If the FA-77 had had a cutaway it probably would have won. It is a better guitar than the Regent but that missing cutaway.. (and yes.. I DO play up there)
    FA-71 not a contender?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dixiehwy25
    I'm going to order one, It's been many moons since I picked up any instrument, but for the first 30 years or so., I played the trumpet in school, and a little jazz on it in college. After that strummed and noodled. Now life allows me to get back to the guitar. My playing interest s lies in Swing, Bop, Cool, Pre-Elvis R&B, Western Swing, and Western Kentucky finger pickin' (can you say 40's?).

I've never been much for tricks and hardware, just like a clean tone and good technique- keep it simple- so I've always had my gaze on jazz guitars. So a few weeks ago I started looking into it-starting at the top with the L-5's and Super 400's I cant afford- and contemplated the Gibson Herb Eliis for a few days. I got a good piece of wisdom though, that advised me to seek out the Asian guitars and keep some cash in the bank- to see if my interest would get to a point where it would justify such an investment. I remembered Aria from way back in 1970's in my high school days. They were selling what appeared to be a Howard Robertsesque thing with f-holes! Mighty interesting back then. I heard at the time they made good stuff for the money.

So I went and looked on the sites and liked all three of the floating pickup archtops Aria had listed for sale presently- the FA-50E, -71 and -77. the FA-50E and FA-71 had very good reviews, praising their value for money. I wavered between all three. I went deluxe and king size, choosing the FA-77. No (English) reviews on it, but the YouTube video made up for that. Something about it grabbed me, it just looks wonderful in the natural finish. The FA-77 also seems to be popular in Europe. Further net surfing, and it was obvious that the 77 is Aria's take on Benedetto.

I did notice something. While the FA-71 has a Sammick clone in the JZ-4, there are are no Sammick models to equate with the FA-50E and FA-77. Could these two be made in Japan, rather than Korea?

Anyway, if anyone has anything new to say on the FA-77, I'm all ears.

I initially planned to purchase the F77 as my first "jazz hardcore " archtop guitar (ES 150 look, bulky body, only one electric sound, floating pickup, outdated tailpiece design etc...) but finally bought the Samick JZ4 instead.
    I liked the ES150 look of the Aria but was not sure enough whether I would miss or not the cutaway in terms of playability.

User Info Menu

There is a JZ4 on ebay at this very moment for $250 with 5 days to go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    FA-71 not a contender?
    Nope. Wasnt bad but wanted single pickup, preferably a floater (which the 77 does have)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    Nope. Wasnt bad but wanted single pickup, preferably a floater (which the 77 does have)
    The FA-71 does in fact have a single floating pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodinFan
    The FA-71 does in fact have a single floating pickup.
    Oh.. I was thinking of the dual HB model. I didnt see an FA71 when I was shopping for one. Just the 77 and the .. ok.. I will have to google it

EDIT: Ok.. I played an FA65 and an FA77. The store didnt have any other models. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by SamBooka; 09-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.

User Info Menu

FIrat I'd like to thank everyone for the responses- and yes, I did order one!

I'll add a couple of things here.

I gave the cutout issue serious consideration. In the end I went with not having one. All the guitars in that distant past I owned lacked a cutout, and at the time I thought it was pretty uncool. All were cheap folk types anyway, except for an Epiphone. It was a thin semi-acoustic from the late '60s with a single P-90. It was likely the cheapest guitar of that type they sold at the time. Another thing is , having long thin fingers, I've never missed a cutout when playing.

Of course not having a cutout appeals to the large contrarian streak in me...

As for the pickups I did a lot of surfing and looking at photos as well as reading. and all three have a neck mounted floating pickup apparently, although granted, the makers's info was sketchy for the -71 and -50E. The -77's pickup is unique to it.

Maybe I've caught a new disease, guitar collecting- but I still feel a draw to the FA-50E. I threw it out first in the decision making process, due to the 16". Arbitrary, I know- but I had to make a decision. Now I find it more attractive than the -71 (which at one point I was a click from buying). It has the mahogany top, no cutout, and a clean '30's basic look and appears to share the the -71's hardware, albeit in chrome. Yes, definitely appeals to that contrarian streak! I'll have to try one out.- but no purchases for a while...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dixiehwy25
    and yes, I did order one!
    You must have gotten it by now! Impressions please ... dying to know.

User Info Menu

Not yet.... FedEx says by the 6th. But I have a lovely, near mint, Roland Blues Cube BC-60/112 here in the living room to plug it in to!

Found a cheap FA-70, that I'm looking into for more "electric" stuff as well, and still not ruling out getting a BC-30...

Dennis

{Edit: Just tracked it on the FedEx site. It's in the state and due here in the morning (as that is when FedEx usually shows here...)
    Last edited by dixiehwy25; 10-05-2010 at 01:38 AM.

User Info Menu

(Disclaimer: I consider myself a neophyte as it's been so long, so keep that in mind with the comments...)

Mr. FedEx brought it at 10:30 this morning. Of course I was at the door when he came up the drive.

Fit and finish were excellent. It is a gorgeous piece for the price and for something 2 to 3X times that- at least from, what I've seen recently out there. Nice materials and grains (at least to my taste). No neck binding, but I do like the binding on the headstock and body. The ebony is a flat finish and not quite totally black. Not as heavy as I'd thought, quite manageable, even for it's size. It's substantial. The hardware, seems to be of good quality. I guess I'll find out if that gold finish holds up. Pots felt nice.

I noodled with it for a bit. Fingers slid up and down the neck effortlessly. I've got long. thin fingers, so I'll not miss the cutaway. I've no idea if I setup is needed, but will look into that shortly. It did feel good, better than I can recall other guitars in my foggy memory. Strings seemed to be tinny- more attuned to a solid body- although it came with D'Addarios. My hunch is if it needs anything- it won't be much.

I needed some basics (cable, picks, stand), so after the noodling I ran down to Guitar Center. It got quite a bit of attention and kudos, interesting since they don't sell Arias. The clerk also felt the strings were more suited to an electric, so I let him sell me some D'Addario 12 flatwounds. I came home and restrung.

Acoustically it's no Stromberg, but the tone and volume are a little better than an L-48 and an L-50 I tried. The body is pretty healthy, with a 3 1/2" depth and a 17" bottom boat- size doesn't bother me as I'm 6'-5". The new strings made a difference. Lots of resonance and depth. If one switches off between acoustic and electric duties the FA-77 is adequate fir that. But if you specialize in acoustic, or are overly picky, look elsewhere.

I plugged it in to the Blues Cube BC-60/110. All i can say is "Wow!" I don't know enough at this point to tell if it is due to guitar, amp, or both. but the tone is really rich and full. I've stayed on the "Normal" side of the amp as opposed to the "Lead" side. You'll ge feedback easily on the lead side. But so far the BC-60 and the FA-77 seem to be a symbiotic combination.

Maybe if I develop and do more, I'll feel compelled to step up. For now though my nascent case of GAS if not cured, is in remission. That likely says it all. The only other thing I might want after getting this guitar and plugging it in is a Street Cube. The BC-60 isn't the lightest thing and the Street would make a good amp for MP3 and playing along with recordings.

So, (with the exception of the Street Cube) I'm done for now- in more ways than one.

Dennis
    Last edited by dixiehwy25; 10-05-2010 at 05:54 PM.