The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

I'm going to buy my first archtop, but cannot decide which.

Ibanez AF125 ~ 900Eur
    Hagstrom HJ500 ~ 500Eur
    Washburn J5 ~ 350Eur

Anyone has experience of these?
    Or maybe is something better in this price range.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

my personal opinion: consider greg bennett as well.
    i took the JZ/1 new for 400 eur
    i wrote about it recently in some other post here

User Info Menu

Of those three, I'd go with the Ibanez.

User Info Menu

I like my Hagstrom HL550.

User Info Menu

I tend to Ibanez too.
    How is Hagstroms neck? Homepage says, that they have H-expander truss rod, that strenghtens neck.

User Info Menu

I love the neck on my Hagstrom

User Info Menu

I owned an Ibanez Artcore 105 and currently own a Hagstrom 800. I think both are of equal quality in terms of construction and fit. The Ibanez was lighter and had a better acoustic tone. The Hagstrom has a post under the bridge which does dampen the acoustic sound, but also helps to minimize feedback. I liked the neck on the Hagstrom better, hence I kept it. In terms of amplified sound I found that I could dial in the sound I wanted with both.

User Info Menu

Don't forget to check out the Ibanez AF105. It has all the same stuff and quality as the AF125, but less flashy decoration.

I've played the Hagstrom too and it was nice. I've heard they're a bit hit-and-miss in terms of quality control, but that may have been a while ago now. I'd check it out though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra
    Don't forget to check out the Ibanez AF105. It has all the same stuff and quality as the AF125, but less flashy decoration.

Not quite. The AF105 has custom 58 pickups, which are ceramic and the AF125 has Super 58 pickups, which are alnico.

They are otherwise pretty much the same.

User Info Menu

Washburn all the way...they're all similar in quality, IMHO, and the price for that ibanez is ridiculous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gpmedium
    Not quite. The AF105 has custom 58 pickups, which are ceramic and the AF125 has Super 58 pickups, which are alnico.

They are otherwise pretty much the same.
    No both have Super 58s, unless the Ibby website is wrong. It also says S-58 on my pups (I have the AF105).

User Info Menu

Interesting.

The Ibanez website was where I got my info from as well. I don't have one, mind you, so I'll bow to your physical evidence.

I agree with Mr Beaumont though, I think that a couple of bucks shy of grand is a lot of money for an Ibanez that isn't made in Japan. I'm not bashing Ibanez, I own two Ibanez instruments myself, but for that price you can get a nice used Guild or Heritage or even a solid-topped Eastman.

User Info Menu

Interesting.

The Ibanez website was where I got my info from as well. I don't have one, mind you, so I'll bow to your physical evidence.
    Ha ha, that's funny! I just checked the USA Ibanez website, and it does say Custom 58s on the AF105, with Super 58s on the AF125. But on the Japanese site (it's the same for the rest of the world) it says 'Super Custom 58s'. I can't imagine they put different pickups on the USA export models, so I guess it's a mistake on the US site.

BTW, the AF105 is about €750, but as I said it's the same as the AF125 except without the all the quilted maple and looks better too imo. Also, although it's MIC, the neck is certainly as good as my MIJ Prestige RG.

You could definitely do a lot better used though.

User Info Menu

Interesting.

I agree with Mr Beaumont though, I think that a couple of bucks shy of grand is a lot of money for an Ibanez that isn't made in Japan. I'm not bashing Ibanez, I own two Ibanez instruments myself, but for that price you can get a nice used Guild or Heritage or even a solid-topped Eastman.
    In the states, maybe, but our OP is in Europe.

But I still think that price is ridiculous for the ibanez's. They are simply not that impressive, and IMHO, no better than any of the other budget boxes that ARE in the same price bracket in the US (Epiphones, Hagstrom, Washburn, Aria, etc.)

It seems like many of these others are more reasonably priced in Europe. I wouln't let Ibanez gouge you.

User Info Menu

I bought my Ibanez AF125 brand new 629€ about one year ago.

I am surprised to see that it costs 729€ today !
    It is not 900€ , but already a difference !

considering the quality of the guitar + case, i would buy again the same guitar.

User Info Menu

I look prices at www.thomann.de and www.dv247.com and www.ebay.de
    Guitars in our local stores are more expensive, than in these web stores and here are not Jazz boxes to try out... only solid body...

I'll check out Washburn HB35, that is in local store and depending on that - is it good or not, maybe will stick to washburn J5 or J3.
    And yeah, 900Eur is really expensive...

Is Washburn J3/J5 in one class with Ibanez AF75? they have pretty close prices.
    Last edited by fender; 09-17-2010 at 03:47 AM.

User Info Menu

imo, buying a guitar of the class of the AF75 (i.e. around €300-€400) is only worth it as a stop-gap measure, to tide you over until you buy something much much better (say >€1500) and sell the cheaper guitar.

If, like me, you can't see yourself spending that type of money on a really nice guitar (for whatever reason), it's probably better to not buy a cheap one, save up a bit more and get a mid-range one (€500-€1000 say). Otherwise you may well quickly tire of the €300-€400 quality. I've played the AF75 and, although it's a decent guitar for the money, it probably won't be long till you're gassing for something better.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a really great archtop, but I'll never get it for free, I'll never be at the standard required to really justify owning one, I'll never be a pro, and frankly I'd rather spend that kind of big dough on two or three other decent guitars than one awesome one. I bought the AF105 after trying loads of guitars. For me it was worth the money and every time I pick it up I get a special feeling. It plays great, sounds great, and looks great. The same is true of the Hagstom series of the same price range, but I don't think the same is true of the lower-end Epiphones and Ibanez's, not for me anyway.

Living in Latvia I guess you don't have a lot of used options. Unless you find some other local shops (or are willing to travel to a megastore in Germany), I think it's internet for you I'm afraid.
    Last edited by abracadabra; 09-17-2010 at 04:30 AM.

User Info Menu

I also look and buy very often at thomann.
    They are very often the cheapest offer.
    I receive yesterday a piano for our son . No problem. Packaging was perfect.

But today, the AF125 is at 879€, in comparison with euroguitars at 729€. I am pretty sure that thomann will make the same price.
    I bought my AF125 at euroguitar. The packaging was absolut perfect.
    Not speaking of price, I always have good experiences with euroguitar. It is also a very good choice. I think they can deliver in all europa.

The price are with 19.6% french tax.
    The delivery charges for most of the countries inside the EU are set, whatever the amount of the order
    Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg: 11 euros
    England, Italy, Spain: 15 euros
    Austria, Denmark, Ireland, Portugal, Switzerland: 20 euros
    For a delivery to other countries, Euroguitar can make a personal estimate before any order.

User Info Menu

Hello guys, I am looking after a new (not-so-heavy) guitar as my current
    Yamaha AEs 1200, which brakes my neck. Saw an ad on the new Dean
    Palomino's (Solo & Trifecta) ans wondering "would one of these be a good buy?). Have to buy in Germany, cannot finf any in Holland my home country.
    Appreciate any American Experience or extra info. Thanks, Hans Dekker

im using an RG IBanez... but i used it for jazz just using the neck pickup and reducing treble to zero because I was thinking if there is a need for another archtop really or dedicated for jazz...
    var geo_Partner = '7c2d38da-3a8b-409e-94cc-9e42c3e79112'; var geo_isCG = true;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

But I still think that price is ridiculous for the ibanez's. ...no better than any of the other budget boxes that ARE in the same price bracket in the US (Epiphones, Hagstrom, Washburn, Aria, etc.)
    The Artcore Customs differ from the rest because of the little appointments that add to the cost: more detailed finishes, wood knobs and tailpieces, better pickups. The other Artcores (AK, AG, AF) are in the same range as the Epi, Hags, Washburns, Samicks, etc.

If you really like the AF105, try comparing it to another Artcore to see if the value is in those little extras.

User Info Menu

900 Euros is 1200 bucks U.S. as of 9/24/2010

The 729 is still close to 1,000 dollars here.

Too much, whatever glossy finish and fancy knobs they put on it. It's simply not a better guitar than the Epiphones, Hagstroms, Arias, Washburns, etc.

Samick I think is cheaper..Got one here in asia...

User Info Menu

I've come down to Ibanez.
    AS103 or AF125 (AF125 is cheaper than AF105 )
    AS103 which is 100Eur cheaper than AF125.
    Is it worth to add 100Eur for AF?

I know, that AS is semi hollow, but still cannot decide between those two.

Looks that on AS i'ts easier to reach upper frets and it's more resistant to feedback.
    But is it possible to get good jazz tone (a la Benson) from semi?

p.s.
    Samicks (RL5) ar interesting too, but don't know why, but don't trust them...

User Info Menu

I had a Bennett RL3 for a couple of years, loved the tone, and it was well constructed. I found I am more comfortable with a larger bodied guitar, so it was traded for 335 semi, and an Aria FA71.