The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353
    Good afternoon, Meggy...
    Googled, found...
    'Plek machines in the UK are at Chandlers (Kew) and Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience (Kingston).'
    Hope this helps...
    Good afternoon! (albeit it a different one from when you posted...). But cheers, that does help . Clearly I should have been a bit more pro-active and done a search myself, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction - I will investigate further.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

[quote=NSJ;97466]Agree. Except I don't trust myself to that "quarter turn" of the truss rod.

To be honest I have never seen someone hamfist a trussrod into breaking.
    I HAVE seen people not inserting the wrench far enough or using the wrong one and stripping the slot/socket. I have also seen people tighten the rod (over the course of years) and the wood just keeps compressing until you cant go any further.

User Info Menu

[quote=SamBooka;97515]
    Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Agree. Except I don't trust myself to that "quarter turn" of the truss rod.

To be honest I have never seen someone hamfist a trussrod into breaking.
    I HAVE seen people not inserting the wrench far enough or using the wrong one and stripping the slot/socket. I have also seen people tighten the rod (over the course of years) and the wood just keeps compressing until you cant go any further.
    I agree - sometimes a quarter turn is too much. Better to just do a very small amount (maybe an eighth or less) and see what the effect is (after a reasonable wait for the new setting to settle in) before adding a little more if needed.

User Info Menu

Hi like you I play different styles. I have an Ibanez Am93 and I am working on Ted Greenes " have yourself a merry little christmas "
    My strings are probably 10s and the sound is too light.
    I'd like to have a warmer creamier tone and I read your post. Would your string selection do the business. Thanks. Joseph

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Navan55
    Hi like you I play different styles. I have an Ibanez Am93 and I am working on Ted Greenes " have yourself a merry little christmas "
    I'd like to have a warmer creamier tone and I read your post. Would your string selection do the business. Thanks. Joseph

User Info Menu

The good thing about experimenting with strings is that it's relatively inexpensive – compared to amps and guitars.
    Personally I think that flatwounds have a very distinct tone and attack – they are kind of a one-trick pony – while roundwounds are more open sounding and versatile. As some have said: you can always back-off treble. But still they won't give you exactly the percussive attack that flats have. OTOH flats to my ears sound terrible with overdrive.
    Currently I play in two bands and use an archtop with flats in one and a tele with roundwounds in the other – so I get exactly the tones that suits best in the context.
    To each his own and may the power be with you. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzVocab
    Newtone Archtops!!!

Nuff said ;-)
    Could I put these strings om my telecaster (semi-hollow)?
    I'm experimenting with all kinds of strings. Two things I learned is: roundwound for me and gauge 12 or 13.

greetings from Belgium,

Stefaan

User Info Menu

I’ve moved over to rounds myself. There’s no doubt that my 175 sounds great with them though, but I do like to be able to hear the notes in chords.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Navan55
    Good luck- that arrangement is killing me! My wife says maybe I'll have it down by next Christmas!

In terms of flats, never say never but the closest I go is ground wound which I have on a laminated guitar. More "thunk" and less string noise but preserves some of the high end.

Definitely at least try .011's. You need strings that stay in one place when you're trying top play those Greene voicings.