The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

I Recently played one of the best ES-175's I have ever played in Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island for 3500 it was Natural with one pickup it felt so good

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Seems like a reasonable price for a sweet instrument - so why, pray tell, is it not parked beside you at this moment?

User Info Menu

money is tight

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sphereacidburn
    money is tight
    They are expensive. No joke. Depending how tight your money is, Heritage might be an alternative. New, the 175-esque H575 is under 2500 but can be had used for about 1200-1400.

Hardly in the same class, but if money is REAL tight and you NEED a guitar, Epi has a 175 for about 500. Upgrade to some good hardware, get a good set up and you have yourself a decent guitar there!

Archie Guest
    There was a nice used ES 175 at The Twelfth Fret in Toronto for $2799. Canadian last week. It might still be there.

User Info Menu

WTF? Looks like Gibson jacked up the prices again --just a couple of years ago, these were $2400, now increased 50%!!!!!!!!

Maybe they caught wind of what Benedetto and Sadowsky were charging.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    WTF? Looks like Gibson jacked up the prices again --just a couple of years ago, these were $2400, now increased 50%!!!!!!!!

Maybe they caught wind of what Benedetto and Sadowsky were charging.....
    Not meaning to be argumentative, but it has been quite a while since the ES175 was $2500. I bought one new in 05, and it was $3k retail.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Not meaning to be argumentative, but it has been quite a while since the ES175 was $2500. I bought one new in 05, and it was $3k retail.
    Yeah. I believe they are in the area of about $4k now retail.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by barrymclark
    They are expensive. No joke. Depending how tight your money is, Heritage might be an alternative. New, the 175-esque H575 is under 2500 but can be had used for about 1200-1400.

Hardly in the same class, but if money is REAL tight and you NEED a guitar, Epi has a 175 for about 500. Upgrade to some good hardware, get a good set up and you have yourself a decent guitar there!
    ...and the 575, although close to the 175, I might put closer to an L-4 in terms of construction. I think those are in the low to mid $4k area.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by barrymclark
    Depending how tight your money is, Heritage might be an alternative. New, the 175-esque H575 is under 2500 but can be had used for about 1200-1400
    You might also be able to find a Guild X-175 for $1500-2000, or if you can deal with a thinner body, an X-170 for closer to $1000. IMHO, both can more than hold their own against most comparable Gibsons.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    You might also be able to find a Guild X-175 for $1500-2000, or if you can deal with a thinner body, an X-170 for closer to $1000. IMHO, both can more than hold their own against most comparable Gibsons.
    Brad
    Absolutely. I really hated to hear that you couldn't get these Guilds anymore. I remember when I worked at Guitar Center in the 90's and we'd get in the Guild arches. They were very cool indeed.

User Info Menu

I played this fantastic Gibson ES-175 at a local shop just south of Nashville. The guitar is absolutely gorgeous and plays as well as it looks. The guitar is on consignment (not mine nor do I know the owner) so there is likely wiggle room on the price...

2006 Gibson ES-175 Vintage Sunburst - Artisan Guitars

User Info Menu

Yeah, I like the Guild X-150 too. It's almost better than a Gibson, but the neck / fingerboard is so cramped! A little bit of sweet talking would get me to part with mine.

User Info Menu

Kamlapati.. single pickup X150?
    Why is it cramped?

User Info Menu

Yes, it's a single PU, which IMO sounds absolutely fantastic. Definitely more life than the dual PU models, at least to my ear.

However, the short scale and the narrow nut makes me feel cramped. I am basically a long scale kinda guy, (Strat, L-5, etc.) and the nut is the narrowest I've ever played

User Info Menu

I hear you .. I would never have bought a 175 but caved when I saw the 165. I find the 17 bodies more comfortable. I cant compare tone of the 24 3/4 vs 25 1/2 scales since my EmpReg and 165 are so different in so many other respects. I like the feel of the 25.5 but it wasnt a big issue to go down to the gibson scale (I play equally badly on both)

User Info Menu

Have my L-5 for @25 years, but now at 70 the guitar, although luscious and impeccable, has grow oversized and heavy as daily routine and gigging guitar; it's just too heavy and cumbersome at this point. I regret having to sell it, but otherwise, it wold remain in the case un-played. What ES-175 in particular what anyone recommend?

Thanks,
    JA

User Info Menu

I have owned various year 175's. I just bought 2 new 2016 non VOS models. One natural and one VS. I got them both from Chicago Music Exchange. One was $3500 and one $3300. They are both the best sounding 175's I have ever owned. FYI Gibson is pinning the bridges on the new ones now but intonation was spot on on both.

User Info Menu

Thank You,

Right now I'm in a toss up between a 1 or 2 PUP ES-175 -- I know the 2 PUP version has way more versatility -- as the 1 PUP is more suited for Jazz chord and solo work.

User Info Menu

So far, my research (and ears) are leading me toward a 2006 Gibson ES-175 Vintage Sunburst ID-5125 . . . any comments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamato316
    So far, my research (and ears) are leading me toward a 2006 Gibson ES-175 Vintage Sunburst ID-5125 . . . any comments?
    Just make sure the trussrod works.
    I have seen many 175's from 06 to present with trussrods that do not work. If the trussrod works it will be a great axe.