The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

One nice thing here in KC was that for a long time we had a Musician's Friend outlet at their distribution center. It was great to be able to basically play whatever you wanted. I loved it. The staff was cool with it and understood. You literally could play anything their warehouse had in stock.

Unfortunately, a year or so ago, they closed the store. The distribution center is still there, but they don't have the outlet open. Kind of sucks.

~DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What about Bernunzio's! Only one transaction but it was very pleasant.
    I bought an Eastman from them for a great price.
    Months after I had the guitar I read that, that particular case came with shoulder straps. I e-mailed the sales dept and the straps were in my hand in 3 days at no charge.

User Info Menu

Y'all need to come out to L.A. and visit Westwood Music!
    We have some of everything that the big chain stores don't and some VERY nice instruments on consignment from REAL MUSICIANS!
    Oh, and some really comfy couches, coffee, and all the time you need...

Just ask for Squint!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bkdavidson
    Derek, I remember a time when you could walk into that store and browse as well. One day I was in the neighborhood in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, pulled on the door, and it was locked. I could see a couple guys inside, and they acted as if nothing happened. Then I read reviews about this appointment crap, and that store has been dead to me since. The other thing I keep hearing about them is that they sell their amps at the list price and won't budge. Fazio's is a great shop. Have you been there since they moved from Manchester/141 to their new location?
    No, I haven't been there in a couple of years. Last time I was there, it was in the Manchester location. Where are they now? With regard to Eddies, my understanding is, his son has taken over primary operations, and the focus has moved away from walkin traffic to online sales. This, out of necessity due to the amount/type of inventory they carry, plus the economy. They have gotten trashed over on TGP quite a bit.

I have had nothing but good experiences with them, and do understand the appointment only thing, but not the attitude. However, they really don't carry anything that strongly interests me, so I don't bother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Squint
    Y'all need to come out to L.A. and visit Westwood Music!
    We have some of everything that the big chain stores don't and some VERY nice instruments on consignment from REAL MUSICIANS!
    Oh, and some really comfy couches, coffee, and all the time you need...

Agreed. A very nice place in LA...

Also in LA, try California Vintage Guitars in Van Nuys and Norman's Rare Guitars in Tarzana. Both owned by two of the nicest people in the biz... Stay there all day, play anything you want, come back every day, etc. No pressure whatsoever..

User Info Menu

Derek, Fazio's is still on Manchester. Sorry, I thought I said that, but I didn't. They've moved a few miles west down Manchester. I don't know how familiar you are with West County, but they're in the same plaza as the giant Shop & Save now, the next stoplight after New Ballwin Rd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bkdavidson
    Derek, Fazio's is still on Manchester. Sorry, I thought I said that, but I didn't. They've moved a few miles west down Manchester. I don't know how familiar you are with West County, but they're in the same plaza as the giant Shop & Save now, the next stoplight after New Ballwin Rd.
    Yeah, I vaguely know where that is. Closer to 270 now?

User Info Menu

Nah, other way. Further from 270. It's quite a bit bigger, especially the acoustic room. The staff there is just so laid back and helpful, too.

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    I know those cats at Sam Ash can seem a bit prickly at times. But, you got to feel for them. Sure, everyone wants to be a big shot player with success and and fame. And when it doesn't pan out, the music shop gig is the fall back gig that only reminds them of the rocky road they chose. We all can't be super stars, and some of us really are losers. Imagine every bright eyed whippersnapper customer, a mirror image of an earlier time, a snapshot of their once lofty dreams....broken to serve them again and again. It's purgatory.

I was in Sam Ash the other day. I found a particularly intriguing new instrument. It was a concert sized ukulele, strung with 1/4" - 1/8" fat rubbery black strings. Never seen anything like it. Astounded I asked the salesman, "what is this"....he just stared at me, a hollow, lifeless blank look...sapped of any enthusiasm. As if I'd asked him to explain his deepest most solemn concerns. Finally, he replied "bass ukulele". Hmmm, ok, sort of an oxymoron, interesting. But he sure wasn't. Not a great sales pitch, but I know how he feels. respect.

For those in the new york area... The nyc guitar center has a nice Carr Mercury, and a rivera (not sure which rivera) amp sitting in their used section. I had time to play the mercury, but not the rivera. The mercury sounded fantastic on the 2 watt setting!! (only setting I tried it on) $1400 For the Carr, $1000 for the rivera. Unfortunately, my wallet wasn't heavy enough to take one home. I don't think the guitar center guys even knew what they had.

I recently went into samash and was approached by a salesman. I told him I was looking for a smallish amp that had decent clean at low volumes. I told him my budget was around $300. Another guy jumped into the conversation and said, "I can get you what you want, but it will cost you three times what you want to spend." Then he went onto describe the Deluxe reverb. Then I said, "you don't think you can get a decent clean sound at low volume out of a fender pro junior?" Afterwards, I shortly left. I was surprised. If he had suggested a $300-400 amp, maybe like a roland, which they carry, I might have bought something that day. Oh well.