The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Here are some quick thoughts... ending my latest 'search' for a guitar:

I should start by saying that I hate buying new guitars. I find the 'search' to be a distraction from practicing and gigging. Further, I generally dislike having to modify/set up/etc new instruments once they arrive as this is a further distraction. I've played guitar and bass for about 20 years on and off -- and over the past few years, I've been very intensely focused on straight ahead real book 50's and 60's era jazz. I'm a huge fan of simple set ups and clean tones -- warm and not too overwhelming. My heroes include Ray Brown, Carol Kaye, Joe Pass and Barney Kessel.

Now...before you ask... well, "why aren't you buying a freaking archtop?" I strongly prefer the ergonomics of slab guitars. Feedback is never a good thing, and for what it's worth, I'm convinced that with the right strings/pickup/setup, you can get a perfectly acceptable jazz tone out of a slab without the headache and fragility of an archtop.

I tried about 20 or 30 guitars (maybe more) before I ended up with the Becker. When the Becker arrived, I was first a bit surprised at how much hum was coming out of the p90's when they were selected by themselves -- then I remembered that the level of quality of electronics with Sadowsky is so far beyond the other stuff I was trying. This stuff needs to be fine tuned -- not set to extremes like so many of the factory instruments out there. For the past 7 years, I've played one guitar with the vol pot all the way up, the neck pickup selected and the tone pot all the way down... go figure.

I spent about an hour exploring the tonal possibilities with the Becker, before I realized that 'my tone' is as follows:

-neck + mid
    -pre-amp off
    -vol at 90%
    -tone at 5-20%

Now...that is some beautiful music. The sound coming out of the slab with this setup is just... it's something special. It almost reminds me of a warm rich piano tone. Nothing short of remarkable.

I have been playing the guitar straight through my amp with flat eq. The guitar is strung with flatwound Sadowsky 12's -- which are very nice strings. I've been using George Benson Thomastik 12's for about 7 years, so I note some difference, but nothing so substantive that I would say one is 'better' or 'worse.'

My previous instrument had a radius of 400 mm. I understand the Sadowsky to have a 12" radius or 304 mm. My previous instrument had a nut width of 43mm. The Sadowsky has a nut width of 42.8mm. The frets are definitely a bit smaller on the Sadowsky. To my untrained eye, I would describe them as 'medium' versus 'large' on my previous instrument.

The Sadowsky neck feels meatier than my previous guitar. More of a classic shape -- modernized for comfort. My hand always felt a bit big on my previous guitar. I had two initial reactions to the neck overall versus my previous guitar:

- The string spacing and note clarity is a lot better on the Sadowsky with my hand size. For example, some more elaborate jazz chords (my favorite fingering of Am7b5 or A7b9 as examples) are a lot clearer as there seems to be a bit more spacing between the strings. I also seem to be able to fret chords in the upper registers with greater clarity. Always a good thing.

- At first, I felt like the neck was quite a bit 'slower'. I realize though that this may be an unfair statement as I clearly needed to get some greater familiarity with the instrument. After 2 days of playing the Sadowsky, I am fairly confident that whatever initial 'speed bumps' I was facing have been mostly dealt with and I'm every bit as fast and accurate on the Sadowsky as I was on my previous instrument. Perhaps that initial reaction was more a 'getting used to' than a 'difference.'

I still am convinced that the string spacing or fingerboard radius or something is GREATLY enhancing the note clarity. Every little subtlety is much more apparent now.

So, I've really come full circle with the guitar. My initial reaction was 'wow, quite a bit of buzz' to 'this may be the best darn guitar i have ever played.' Quite an incredible instrument.

I should also add that the NYC Gig Bag that was included is by far the best designed gig bag that I have ever used/seen. I was using a sling bag that I really enjoy -- but there is no comparison. These guys make incredible stuff.

[NOTE: this was also posted on sadowsky's forum]

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Is that a set (glued) neck or a bolt-on?

User Info Menu

What were you playing before the Sadowsky?

The neck is a bolt on.

Before the Sadowsky, I was playing an Ibanez RG with a fixed bridge. The guitar had a Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II hum and Thomastik Flats.

User Info Menu

Though essentially a super strat, the Becker like any Sadowsky is a top notch instrument from what I have seen. I have no doubt you dig it. I have an online aquaintence who has a Sadowsky tele with 3 P90's and a gorgeous flamed redwood top. It is truly sublime.

So whether his "slab" guitars/basses, semihollow or hollowbodies, Rodger and the boys seem to know how to make a heck of an instrument. Glad to hear you are so happy with it. Pics?

User Info Menu

Pictures????

User Info Menu

I looked at the Sadowsky web site -- $4,000! For that, I could put together exactly the Partscaster I want and have plenty left over to buy a swee-eet amp.

User Info Menu

That is a sweet Bambino, but I don't want the bridge pup...

User Info Menu

if you don't want/need that bridge pick up you could also go for a höfner john stowell signature... they don't produce them anymore, but are still found on some shops.

I got mine like 2 months ago and as soon as i get a digicam for some pics i'm gonna post a little review in here. It goes for ~2000€ for the natural and ~2.500€ for the violin shellac finish and is made in germany.
    Last edited by shoome; 07-29-2010 at 02:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Squint
    That is a sweet Bambino, but I don't want the bridge pup...

no sweat, that one is a one-off and is gone anyway. they could make a one-off for you too. takes about 3 months from what i remember.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I said the Brecker's $4,000 was too much, and you come back with even more expensive models! Oh, the GAS!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwiz

Yes, it's a pricey instrument (relative to many) and it's inexpensive (relative to many).

"The quality remains long after the price is forgotten" ...

User Info Menu

Well if a were a millionaire this would be my choice... 16-B One-off in Black Pearl | Benedetto Guitars sorry BDLH couldn't resist

User Info Menu

Very pretty guitar. I'm glad it's working for you.

User Info Menu

Sorry Big Daddy, it's hard to see the price tag through the GAS!

I'm not too thrilled with Hofners, shoome. Have they gotten any better with their frets? The last ones I played all needed at least $300 in fret jobs before I could play them. They were like railroad ties. But I do like the Verithins... nice once they're PLEK'd!