The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I haven't played an archtop with the wider nut, but with flattops I can finger pick a little better if with the extra space.

There must be pros and cons for each. What are they beyond just feel?

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think a lot of it is preference and what you're used to, which is probably the same thing, now that I think about it! Perhaps folks who do a lot of thumb fretting over the top might prefer a narrower neck, though. It's funny, when people switch guitar genres, like classical to jazz, they carry along the previous nut width; I've never read anyone write that after the 2" classical nut they were dying to find an electric guitar with a 1 5/8" neck!

For what it's worth, I like a 1 3/4" nut (and dream about a 1 7/8"), fat contour and 25 1/2" scale. I don't see any reason to be cramped in.

User Info Menu

I was just playing my big ol' Stella archtop, with a log of a neck, at my Aunt Tilda's picnic, and when it comes to pecan pie, I prefer the smaller nuts.

User Info Menu

I'm very aware of scale length and find anything longer than a 24.75" scale "too big". But I switched to a 1.75" nut from 1 11/16" and didn't really notice any difference.

User Info Menu

Size of your hand is a consideration, especially if you like to grab notes with your thumb while playing a 'stretchy' chord (which is really hard to do on the 2" nut width fat neck of my classical guitar).

Quote Originally Posted by mgoetting
    The only "pro" in favor of a 1 & 11/16" nut is speed. Not that I prefer it. I like the feel and ease of 1 & 3/4 any day.

It pretty much does come down to "just feel". My fingers get jumbled up on anything narrower that 1.75 with the exception of smaller scale guitars. My electric is 1 11/16 but doesn't feel narrow due the scale.

TommyD Guest
    1 and 11/16ths" versus 1 and 12/16ths"? You're kidding, right?

User Info Menu

No, I'm not kidding. Eastman and Martin are 12/16ths, Heritage is 11/16ths. Heritage will do a 12/16ths as a custom.

When I finger pick I can feel a slight difference, but I'm comparing a Martin flat top to a Heritage arch.

Please correct me if I got it wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mgoetting
    I haven't played an archtop with the wider nut, but with flattops I can finger pick a little better if with the extra space.

Thanks.
    To me, the bigger difference between the two nut widths is how they translate to string spacing at the bridge. I had a very nice L5 with a 1 11/16" nut & 2" string spacing at the bridge. I found it very cramped to do much fingerstyle playing.

I replaced it with a Campellone with a 1 3/4" nut & ~2 1/4" spacing at the bridge. It is much more comfortable for me, esp fingerstyle, and still seems just as easy to play when I'm playing with a pick.

Those dimensions seem to be the sweet spot for me.

User Info Menu

When it comes to "fingerpicking" acoustic guitars, the necks can be wider. The Larrivee LSV-11 (which I lust after) is 1 13/16" at the nut.

User Info Menu

Let's see:

Tele clone - 1 11/16 & 25.5
    T5 clone - 1 11/16 & 25.5
    335 clone - 1 11/16 & 25.5 (yes, 25.5!)

But:

000-28 - 1 11/16 & 24.9
    Travel Guitar - 1 3/4 & 24.5

OK, that's not really an answer, but I'm comfortable switching between any of them. I don't like 1 5/8 at the nut at all though - that's too thin!

User Info Menu

Are there recommended entry level archtops ($500) with 1.75" width nut?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by praesentire
    Are there recommended entry level archtops ($500) with 1.75" width nut?
    The Godin 5th Avenue guitars have a 1.72" nut. Close enough?

User Info Menu

Looks like there are no entry level 1.75" nut archtops under $1k.

User Info Menu

Can you detect a 0.03" difference?

I know Mr. Beaumont here likes his Godin single pickup archtop, although he seems to prefer his old Kay, now.

User Info Menu

Maybe not.

It's just that my fingers touch the unwanted strings ever so slightly and makes them hum/buzz. So so slightly.

Then there's a voice in my head saying, "If it's so slight, why don't ya shave off some layers of skin, or work on your newbie fingering technique before suspecting the instrument's specs."

Thanks for your input.

User Info Menu

UPDATE: I just got my guitar back from the shop. I had the bridge replaced with an ebony one from Stew-Mac and the nut replaced with a Tusq nut. While at it, I asked for the string spacing to be widened as if the nut width was 1.72" (a la Godin) as opposed to 1.69" (43mm) to see how much difference there is.

Whoa, what a difference. It's much nicer to grab the chords at the first few frets now. My fingers no longer squish together in certain chord forms and I can keep my left hand relaxed better. I read that one could even get it widened to 1.75" equivalent but you risk the high and low E strings getting too close to the edges on a 1.69" nut.