The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Now I have to change string on my guitar(Yamaha AE1200 copy gibson L-5)
    I had to used D'Addario flatwound string 13-56. I thing It's ok for me
    but I want to taste thomastik flatwound string but It's more expensive

D'Addario flatwound string VS thomastik flatwound string. How do you think

D'Addario flatwound string on Yamaha AE1200 copy gibson L-5

Thankyou.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have Tomastik Infeld Jazz Swings on my full hollowbody and the Chromes on my tele and semi-hollow. The TI's are great strings if they produce the tone you're looking for. For me, they seem to last forever and get more mellow as they age but I prefer them slightly dull anyway. The Chromes also last a long time for me--months, rather than weeks played every day. I stick with the heaviest gauges I find in the stores.

User Info Menu

My experience with the d'Addarios is that it takes them quite some time to mellow. And even then, the sound can't beat the one of the Thomastiks.
    I also prefer the grip you have on Thomastiks to the one you feel (rather, don't feel) on the d'Addarios - to me, especially the lower strings feel a bit like rubber-straps.

However, one disadvantage of the Thomastik sets is that the two upper strings are not very long lasting, although they sound great. I am usually replacing them with d'Addarios or others once they've worn out and keep the rest of the set until it becomes unbearable.

Another aspect you might have to think about: With Thomastik, at least with their Swing-series, the lower E string usually is thinner than with a set of d'Addarios of the same gauge. F.e. if you take a set gauge 012, the E string will be 050 with Thomastik and 053 with d'Addario.
    Last edited by Uli; 07-06-2010 at 08:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Uli is correct. I forgot to mention the difference in string tension between them. The TI's have a good bit less tension and would be better than the Chromes for a longer scale length than the typical Gibson. On my Gibson scale guitars, the TI's feel "slinky" and are very bendable even with thin and narrow frets.

Thank you all.
    I can buy three the Chromes in price of one thomastik.
    I love to play new string.
    because string be fresh in about 2 weeks after change string.
    I think maybe thomastik have a long fresh more than the Chromes.

User Info Menu

It's doubtful that a sonic difference between those strings is detectable from the perspective of the listener. In fact, an audience generally can't detect the difference in sound between a $200 Chinese-made guitar and a $40,000 (todays $) custom-made guitar, hand-crafted in New York circa 1947.

We choose our instruments (and strings) for reasons that audiences wouldn't understand (they would probably be appalled by our reasoning) but mainly because we feel that we PLAY better with certain instruments, adjusted a certain way with certain strings through a specific amplifier ...

Isaac Stern didn't play a Yamaha violin, Yo Yo Ma doesn't own a Chinese-manufactured cello. (Musicians that are not in that elevated stratosphere frequently play instruments that they are payed to play, using strings that are also commercially supplied ...)

Musicians "at the top of their game" play instruments that stimulate their virtuosity. They may - to the ears of an audience - sound "good", playing instruments from the bargain back pages of "Musicians Friend" catalog. Be assured that the performance would not be at virtuoso standard.

If you feel that your playing is enhanced by the use of a certain brand of strings, a certain pick, cable, amplifier or a well-worn Tee-shirt, then that is adequate justification for a purchasing decision. The audience doesn't care about HOW you achieve a result, just that you DO achieve the results that please them.

I've used D'Addarios most of my life - they are one of the few U.S. string manufacturers and a quality product for a good price. I buy "sets" but supplement them with "loose" strings. I have a few guitars and one size definitely doesn't fit all !! Guitars, even with the same scale length and approximate body size, don't respond the same with similar strings. But changing the string diameter (rather than the brand) accomodates my needs.

If I felt that Thomastik-Infeld strings enhanced my ability by even a fractional amount, that's what I'd be using. But ONLY if I was being paid for my playing and could deduct the cost of my strings as expendable materials, as I was able to do a few decades ago.

Since the imported strings cost about five times as much as the D'Addarios, I'll just stick with the U.S. products. (Not to mention that my musical abilities - and my ears - are so compromised that I could probably get by with lengths of wire snipped off my neighbor's cattle fence.)

Cheers,
    RandyC

User Info Menu

I used the Chromes for some years, but switched to the Thomastik because they gave me the better response. And at least here in Switzerland the Tomastik are only little more expensive.

User Info Menu

+1 on the .13 Chromes. I have them on my acoustic archtop, and electric archtop and i love the sound and the feel. You can get them pretty much anywhere that sells strings, and they are about 1/3 the price of the fancier string sets.

In the past i have strayed from the Chromes because i think there might be something better, but i always come back to them as my favorites mainly because i think they have a lively acoustic sound but with a flatwound feel. They seem classy to me. But i'm not a classy guy.
    Last edited by spiral; 07-19-2010 at 06:40 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the 12's Chrome warm and mellow D' Addario on my Aris FA 71 a lot more than the one set of Tomastik I tried a while ago. DR also has some nice flats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randyc
    I've used D'Addarios most of my life - they are one of the few U.S. string manufacturers and a quality product for a good price. Cheers,
    RandyC
    Randy-All the Chromes I've used used to have the Made in the USA mark on them. The new packaging doesn't make this claim (I buy my strings in from America, by the way, to be sure to be sure!). I'm just wondering-have they quietly outsourced in the last couple of months? Hear anything about that?

User Info Menu

I loved thomastiks on my EmpReg but they died too quickly (it is more the guitar than the strings fault). I really believe you have to find the right strings for your guitar.
    For years I used Daddario 10-52 because I was playing rock on fenders. When I started playing other guitars I realised that what I HATED on one guitar might actually work better on another.

So... on my Tele I have D'Adds halfround 12s. I dont like them.
    On the EmpReg Newtone 14s. Bright for a LONG time but so far so good. I like them.
    Tried the newtones on my es-165. Too bright, odd overtones. Tried TI GB114s, too dead. Now I have TI Bebops (RW 14s) and it seems like a nice compromise.. I have a set of chromes that I will try on the 165 when the TIs die but they are 13s. PITA but at least I can upgrade the E and B string and still come in cheaper than TIs (and Dadd 14 singles are pretty easy to find.. dont know about 18s.. we will see).

Strings are subjective and really have to work well with the guitar in question.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    So... on my Tele I have D'Adds halfround 12s. I dont like them.
    Me either. They seemed sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by billkath
    All the Chromes I've used used to have the Made in the USA mark on them. The new packaging doesn't make this claim
    Bill - The package i have says "Manufactured and Printed in the USA" on the back. They are the new packaging (based on what you said in the other thread.)

User Info Menu

Just checked mine-they also say it on the back. Used to be proudly and loudy on the front, tho. I wonder why?

User Info Menu

When I bought my guitar, it had Chromes on. Sounded nice.

But, I put on the TI Swings that I really liked. Once I had done that, it sounded much better than just "nice".

User Info Menu

Just put the TI Swing JS100 set on my beater Yamaha Pacifica 512 to see if I could get some nice jazz tones without spending a grand on an archtop. Sounds so, so sweet. Plays like a dream and the JS110 pack didn't require me to change the setup at all. For me, they were worth the money. But, when money is tight, I am sure the D'Addario strings will be fine.

User Info Menu

I think Chromes are fine strings, barring the recent quality control issues a few of us have experienced. I just like TI's better. Since I get about 6 months out of either string, I choose TI's. However I use DA's on my strat, tele, and Soloway, rounds.

User Info Menu

Thomastics flatwounds for me have a mellow vintage tone and the strings don't feel stiff and last longer...nice jazz tone.
    D'Addario flatwounds are kind of new as for flatwounds - I could be wrong but D'Addario didn't make them until a couple of years ago, I think. I couldn't find them. I'll use nothing but flatwound Thomastics for jazz tone.
    How do you pronounce D'Addario?
    I understand from their string catalog in the back (old catalog) D'Addario headquarter staff pronouce their name: Da-dairy-O instead of: Dee-A-dairy-O.
    I know...doesn't matter.

User Info Menu

[quote=jamesbdean55;90421]
    How do you pronounce D'Addario?
    quote]

Dad-Ar-Ee-Oh. Just like it's written. They're just saying it with an American accent, is all. Like lots of Americans pronounce the Irish name Mahoney "Ma-Hone-ee" instead of how the Irish pronounce it -"Mah-hn-ee"
    Last edited by billkath; 07-20-2010 at 07:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbdean55
    D'Addario headquarter staff pronouce their name: Da-dairy-O
    I just posted this revelation in another thread because i just called their customer service and never actually heard anyone pronounce it. You're very right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    I just posted this revelation in another thread because i just called their customer service and never actually heard anyone pronounce it. You're very right.
    Maybe they're American versions of culchies? What do you call culchies in America, by the way?

User Info Menu

In my opinion, The Tomastik offer a better sound, especially brand new.
    But I don't why, I had already broken the High E string twice by tuning.
    It never happened to me with the Chromes.
    And the price is also cheaper with the d'addario.

I personally mount D'addario Chromes flatwound on both my Ibanez and Strat copie epiphone !