The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I would like to get an amp for home use but it has to be loud enough due to the amount of noise coming from the rest of the people in the house.

Does anyone know of any good jazz practice amps

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gosh, how noisy is your house? I can't imagine an amp that is too quiet for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Gosh, how noisy is your house? I can't imagine an amp that is too quiet for practice.
    Too Loud If That's an accurate measurement xD

User Info Menu

Unless you want to amp up (groan) the noise, you could even use headphones. Some amps have an out for that.

Hmm. Can You Recommend Any?

User Info Menu

Small Roland Cubes like my 20X suit me fine, sound good with my jazz guitars clean, have a headphone jack, and some nice reverb to boot.

User Info Menu

+1. You can't go wrong with the Cubes.

Archie Guest
    My Tech 21 Trademark 30 has a headphone jack. Very small, light amp.

User Info Menu

Cube series gets my vote.

User Info Menu

Hmm, yes, I'd say something solid state with about 30 watts and 1 10" speaker - Tech 21 Trademark 30, Roland Cube 30x, VOX VT30 - should fit the bill and be usable for small gigs/jams as well.

User Info Menu

Fender Super Champ XD and get a 2 x 10" cab if the people are too loud.

User Info Menu

Roland Cubes are great. JC setting.
    Also, try the Vox Pathfinder 15R. Best $100 you'll ever spend.

User Info Menu

The Cube 30x is a lot of amp for the money, and with a 60-70 buck speaker mod it'll sound at least twice as good if you ever feel like it.

User Info Menu

For practicing at home I use a POD XT live and headphones. Doesn't bug anyone else in the house, repeating the same bloomin' line over and over, and I don't hear anything apart from what I'm doing.

User Info Menu

I use a Roland Micro Cube, interestingly "Classic Stack" setting with no gain gives a very nice clean jazz sound. JC setting is good too. If you max the volume, it is plenty loud.

Also good for practice, the Vox AC4 is much louder (4 W setting, 1/3 volume, tone rolled off) because I have it connected to an Eminence Wizard which has 103 dB.

Both are very inexpensive amps. Both are well built.

User Info Menu

+1 for the Roland Cube 30x

I have one, good for practise and some gigging too.

User Info Menu

Coincidentally I almost bought a used Roland Cube 30X off CL last week, but I decided to save the money for my upcoming move.

Let me put in a plug for small tube amps. The Epi Valve Jr. is IMO an awesome little amp that provides a warm slightly overdriven tone for jazz at the lower settings.

It can get loud enough to annoy the neighbors (DAMHIKT) or to play gigs in small rooms and can also be plugged into a larger cabinet. It doesn't have reverb, so I use a separate pedal (EH Holy Grail) for that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AZanshin
    I would like to get an amp for home use but it has to be loud enough due to the amount of noise coming from the rest of the people in the house.

Does anyone know of any good jazz practice amps
    Good amps given us good sounds from at the low volume.
    Fender: from the about V2.2(1 is Min of Fender).

Any good amps available, just set the enough lebel for good sounds and not loud levels.(not as rock music)
    I'm using Twin Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, Polytone Mini brute Ⅱ, etc same as not loud levels with good sounds.
    A good way: always with same amps, stage and home, settings know how, conditions etc good for you.
    Please get the good amps for your jazz life.
    Last edited by kawa; 06-09-2010 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

You have a point Kawa, but a small, portable and versatile practise amp is also a wise investment...... unless you want to take your Twin Reverb to that livingroom gig.....!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    You have a point Kawa, but a small, portable and versatile practise amp is also a wise investment...... unless you want to take your Twin Reverb to that livingroom gig.....!
    Yes Little Jay, I mean " Only For Practice Use..."
    See you.