The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently came across the excellent book Jazz Piano Fundamentals by Jeremy Siskind. In my transition from classical guitar to jazz guitar i have been looking hard for a good methods book for jazz guitar but haven’t found anything quite like the Siskind book.
    Is anyone aware of a book that compares to it for Jazz guitar?

In Jazz guitar there seem to be several books that suggest you learn hundreds of chords first and then…
    this isn’t an approach that works for me and that I buy into.

Then there are the excellent “advancing guitarist”, “linear expressions”, Arnie Berle’s “Chord progressions for Jazz…”, Jens Larsen books,… but nothing that I have found seems to compare to something like the Siskind book for piano.
    Any pointers are appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Judging by the description and reviews, this is a unique book. I don't know of any comparable jazz guitar oriented books but others here may have suggestions. Then again, it sounds like you get a lot out of this book just by applying the ideas in it to guitar.

"Jeremy Siskind's book creates a methodology and answers questions in a way that I have almost never seen done in a jazz educational tome. He breaks down the practice of improvisation to its smallest building blocks, and is careful to relate each lesson to real-life examples from the jazz canon....This book will be excellent for jazz beginners, players of other instruments who wish to bone up on their piano skills, and advanced improvisers may find ways to fill in gaps in their skill sets " - Mark Shilansky, pianist/composer, professor, Berklee College of Music