The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hello. I have recently became aware of melodic cells through the guitarist Jimmy Bruno. I cannot read standard musical notation, but I do read tab well. Has anyone used this book for study and does T do a good job of breaking down the subject and how to use in one’s own playing? I thank you for your time and response.
    Attached Images Attached Images Learning Melodic Cells-img_0412-jpeg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The thing Jimmy Bruno is talking about are 1 bar licks you take through his fingering positions. It's just another exercise after you do the positions, thirds, triads, chords. You take a little melody and run it through.

No need to get a book, just make something up, or open the realbook to any page and pick a random bar. Run that through the fingerings, changing to keep it diatonic, then around the 12 keys. Your head will be spinning in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    The thing Jimmy Bruno is talking about are 1 bar licks you take through his fingering positions. It's just another exercise after you do the positions, thirds, triads, chords. You take a little melody and run it through.

No need to get a book, just make something up, or open the realbook to any page and pick a random bar. Run that through the fingerings, changing to keep it diatonic, then around the 12 keys. Your head will be spinning in no time.
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like fun. I shall look into it.

User Info Menu

Oz Noy is a fine player and I imagine that his book is a quality product but it would be hard to top Randy Vincent's A Cellular Approach. One of the best IMO. No tab but fingerings and string indications are included.

https://www.shermusic.com/1883217814.php

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB View Post
    Oz Noy is a fine player and I imagine that his book is a quality product but it would be hard to top Randy Vincent's A Cellular Approach. One of the best IMO. No tab but fingerings and string indications are included.

https://www.shermusic.com/1883217814.php
    This ones been on my list. And in this case he’s talking about more like small melodic patterns that are strung together into lines in more modern playing. Probably more like what Oz Noy is doing, if I were to guess.

More like what Dave Baker called “digital patterns.”

Thats something different than what Allen’s describing. So if that’s what Jimmy Bruno meant, then it’s a different (and really good) exercise and probably not the one in Oz Noy’s book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened Rogue View Post
    Hello. I have recently became aware of melodic cells through the guitarist Jimmy Bruno. I cannot read standard musical notation, but I do read tab well. Has anyone used this book for study and does T do a good job of breaking down the subject and how to use in one’s own playing? I thank you for your time and response.
    Hey Rogue..

Best Tip: Learn to read standard notation.

Its not that hard

If you start now..by next year..you will be able to read any guitar study book.. and you will thank yourself for the rest of your musical life

my take: going to the library and you can only read picture books

User Info Menu

If you listen to jazz or analyze it transcribed, you see that all it is is short motifs developed or sequenced and longer ideas. So if you want to be fluent in jazz melody, that's what you have to understand and practice. What AA said is accurate. You can get the lil cells or motifs from anywhere. Make em up, hear em, read em. Then just sequence them or develop them. I like to think of them as either pattern sounding or more natural/musical sounding and work both types.

User Info Menu

"it would be hard to top Randy Vincent's A Cellular Approach."

Sounds like a molecular biology textbook.... I guess everyone knows that Randy was Julian Lage's teacher? Both were Sonoma County, CA residents.

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    This ones been on my list.
    Which is, what, about 20 pages long by now?

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen View Post
    Hey Rogue..

Best Tip: Learn to read standard notation.

Its not that hard

If you start now..by next year..you will be able to read any guitar study book.. and you will thank yourself for the rest of your musical life

my take: going to the library and you can only read picture books
    Thank you for the reply. I would love to learn how to read standard notation. Do you have any books you recommend to learn? I am an old dog at 53 but I can learn.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the reply. I would love to learn how to read standard notation. Do you have any books you recommend to learn? I am an old dog at 53 but I can learn.
    I worked with the Mel Bay book. It was like $4 used. I only went through about half and then pivoted to reading lead sheets and transcriptions. My goal is to read well enough to play Holiday gigs without having to memorize all the Christmas songs.

https://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bays-Mode.../dp/0871663546

User Info Menu

There are lots of sight reading books but that’s not really necessary.

You just need to be able to translate the dot to a letter name and the letter name to a fret in the guitar. Lots of stuff online for that. For a comprehensive thing, the Berklee methods are still good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    I worked with the Mel Bay book. It was like $4 used. I only went through about half and then pivoted to reading lead sheets and transcriptions. My goal is to read well enough to play Holiday gigs without having to memorize all the Christmas songs.

https://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bays-Mode.../dp/0871663546
    Another good one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post

Which is, what, about 20 pages long by now?
    Shorter than you’d think.

Thanks everyone for the help. I have a lot to look forward to learning. I have been playing music for 39yrs by ear and using tab. It’s high time I learn the language. Thanks for the encouragement, it is appreciated.

User Info Menu

Old dog eh..well kid..AA gave a good start point with the Mel Bay book

and of course lots of info online..

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen View Post
    Old dog eh..well kid..AA gave a good start point with the Mel Bay book

and of course lots of info online..
    Copy that sir. I receive my books next Monday. Give me a few months and I hope to have positive progress.

User Info Menu

Copy that sir. I receive my books next Monday. Give me a few months and I hope to have positive progress.

User Info Menu

Which books?

Mel Bay and Randy Vincent? Or?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    This ones been on my list. And in this case he’s talking about more like small melodic patterns that are strung together into lines in more modern playing. Probably more like what Oz Noy is doing, if I were to guess.

More like what Dave Baker called “digital patterns.”

Thats something different than what Allen’s describing. So if that’s what Jimmy Bruno meant, then it’s a different (and really good) exercise and probably not the one in Oz Noy’s book.
    Yes, mostly basic melodic patterns, each one classified by its initial note - root, 3rd, 5th etc - and recombined with others of the same type in a modular fashion both up a chosen string set and across the neck. They are in a sense 'digital patterns' but all the ones that Vincent employs are common units of jazz vocabulary, not just an abstract operation involving permutations of a note series.

Of course, these can (and should) be practised along with taking any phrase that catches your ear through different octaves, keys, string sets and positions.

Yes. Mel Bay, Vincent, and one more. My hands are full. Ha!

User Info Menu

This Youtube Video about Melodic Cells by a good sax player might or might not be of interest.

Skip the self promotion and start watching the video at 1:50 seconds.