The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Okay I’ve seen this thing pop up before and I have to admit it strikes me as an awful idea … I mean … wouldn’t this be tension city?
    for me it’s very good if you do it carefully, like a gym for hands… I used it more when practiced piano. The hands felt more warmed up, easier to stretch

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a Soloette classical I've traveled with when I knew I had to come back and hit the ground running, so to speak. But I'd ideally prefer a vacation be a vacation, and since the guitar is basically my job that's what I want a break from.

They don't make the Soloettes any more, which is a drag because I really like mine and now I'm afraid of traveling with it and something happening...

User Info Menu

Just got back from 5 days at a lake house. Brought my guitar. Didn’t touch it all week. Too busy fishing, swimming and floating.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Just got back from 5 days at a lake house. Brought my guitar. Didn’t touch it all week. Too busy fishing, swimming and floating.
    Real jazz guys aren't supposed to have any fun that doesn't involve jazz. No doubt you spent your time tubing and fishing while whistling little brown jug and American Patrol, lol.

User Info Menu

Winding up a vacation in NY. Great music everywhere. Sat in Washington Square park with my guitar and met all sorts of people, and went to see the guitars at Rudy's.
    I had a most relaxing time, brought the Benedetto, and nowhere I'd rather have been.
    Books. Music. Good food. Good people. Jazz in the park.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Real jazz guys aren't supposed to have any fun that doesn't involve jazz. No doubt you spent your time tubing and fishing while whistling little brown jug and American Patrol, lol.
    I thought about chords a lot, I’ll also add I’m really rusty today trying to get back into it. Haha. My next gig is the 20th so I’m not worried. It comes back quick.

User Info Menu

Since most of our vacations involve camping with our trailer, and the fact that I get antsy after about two days without a guitar, I usually bring my Dupont MC-30-14. Although I have brought my Pisano 880 with a Fender Champion 20 and my 53 Epi Triumph Regent as well.
    On our last trip to Moss Landing a couple weeks ago I was sitting on the tailgate of the truck about 9am playing the Dupont. A lady peeked around the corner and said"...I thought that was a CD..would you please play for our campfire tonight?" I agreed and played for about 30 people...It was really exceptionally fun!

Practice on vacation?-camping-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    Since most of our vacations involve camping with our trailer, and the fact that I get antsy after about two days without a guitar, I usually bring my Dupont MC-30-14. Although I have brought my Pisano 880 with a Fender Champion 20 and my 53 Epi Triumph Regent as well.

On our last trip to Moss Landing a couple weeks ago I was sitting on the tailgate of the truck about 9am playing the Dupont. A lady peeked around the corner and said"...I thought that was a CD..would you please play for our campfire tonight?" I agreed and played for about 30 people...It was really exceptionally fun!
    After that compliment, how could you you refuse?

And if they run out of firewood, they'll be even more appreciative that you brought your guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    After that compliment, how could you you refuse?

And if they run out of firewood, they'll be even more appreciative that you brought your guitar.
    "Campfire" these days in RV parks usually centers around a couple of Propane fire pits with lava rocks.
    Still a nice atmosphere no choking smoke!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I thought about chords a lot, I’ll also add I’m really rusty today trying to get back into it. Haha. My next gig is the 20th so I’m not worried. It comes back quick.
    I sat in with my friends blues band this afternoon. The rust fell right off.

User Info Menu

I guess I’m an outlier. I usually bring a guitar (unless flying), and when I do I play it. That is the situation right now. I brought a solidbody and a Positive Grid Spark Go with me to an undisclosed location.

Last year I went on a long vacation abroad, and I really missed playing. I managed to borrow a guitar and sit in at a jam session one night and it was great.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure it rises to the formality of actual practice, but I like to play a bit on vacation. Playing a couple of tunes in the evening after a long day of sightseeing or whatnot is relaxing.

I have a steinberger copy that will fit in the luggage.

User Info Menu

Practice on vacation?-camp-lake-jpg

Marc C has strongly hinted that as soon as I get the name of the lake changed to " Campellone Shores ", he'll move up my next build date !! In the meantime this one always makes the trip.

I'll be up there in 3 weeks and yes, I'm counting the days !

User Info Menu

I came thisclose a few years ago to buying one of those Steinberger Spirit guitars to take with me when we went to Ireland, but then I'd have to pull myself away from the craic to practice so I never finalized the deal. I have to agree with the folks who've already responded, and say if its a short vacation and you aren't retired, leave the guitars at home.

User Info Menu

I bring my sinsonido soloette copy with me when I have to travel for meetings and such. Certainly keeps me from drinking in the bar at night, better to practice… don’t think I’d bring it on a family trip or a major vacation trip… too much to think about other than guitar.