The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Greg Fishman: Jazz Phrasing for Beginners

Greg Fishman: Jazz Phrasing for Beginners-51peaxnxlgl-jpg

You could learn them all by ear?

All tracks here on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...uxNoTrmsQKNr80
    Are you using this? Or what do you mean learning them by ear?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Are you using this? Or what do you mean learning them by ear?
    I've started learning them by ear.

It makes it more fun and then you don't need the book.

Edit: Maybe a [Study Group] is needed?
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 03-11-2024 at 09:11 AM.

User Info Menu

What's the end goal? I think it's better to learn to read exercises and pull real jazz (heads and solos) by ear. Though I guess you need to start ear training somewhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    What's the end goal? I think it's better to learn to read exercises and pull real jazz (heads and solos) by ear. Though I guess you need to start ear training somewhere.
    This could be used for beginners to transcribe a recording.

If you listen to the tracks for 'Jazz Phrasing For Beginners' they incorporate some good phrasing and seem to be easier to learn by ear than a lot of recordings.

The end goal, is that learning the phrases by ear will be beneficial to getting better articulation and detailed nuances.

The tracks seem to have chord progressions from well known Jazz standards.

Greg Fishman is a good player, that can be heard from listening to the tracks

Maybe a [Study Group]?

User Info Menu

Yeah, I read the book description. I think it'll be useful, but not something I can take on right now. I'll probably get the book and use it for reading after I'm through Mel Bay. If I'm going to play in a big band, I need to get more confident at reading.

User Info Menu

Jazz Phrasing for Beginners-- learn 5 tunes as sung by Ella Fitzgerald. Just the melody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Jazz Phrasing for Beginners-- learn 5 tunes as sung by Ella Fitzgerald. Just the melody.
    HA!

So I have this notebook where I have four quarter notes written at the top, then I went through and listened to songs that have that rhythm written in places (All the Things and Another You, in particular) and transcribed the actual rhythms Ella sings on those phrases. Along with some Sinatra and Sarah Vaughan.

User Info Menu

This is about beginners learning by ear the 'Greg Fishman: Jazz Phrasing for Beginners' tracks.

They're easy to learn by ear and the articulation is very beneficial.

User Info Menu

I missed that there were YouTube tracks.

These aren't bad...some are a little stiff, but I think that's probably from trying to make the rhythms relatively easy to write down if someone were learning them by ear... and I do think that definitely someone just starting out could probably learn them by ear. And they're all named after streets in Chicago, so that's cool. They definitely sound like "heads" and not solos, if that makes sense...and I do think that's a better place for a beginner to begin ear training...I see a lot of folks try to jump into stuff that's over their head and they spend hours and hours getting good at slowing down tracks and looping sections...maybe less good at actually ear training.

Probably a good second step is to figure out what tunes these are contrafacts of?

User Info Menu

If anyone is interested in starting a learn by ear 'Greg Fishman: Jazz Phrasing for Beginners' tracks [Workgroup] let me know.

The first 'Milwaukee Avenue' is obviously a 12bar Jazz blues.

I think it will be part of the fun to find out what Jazz Standards they are based on, after repeated listening it will probably be obvious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    If anyone is interested in starting a learn by ear 'Greg Fishman: Jazz Phrasing for Beginners' tracks [Workgroup] let me know.

The first 'Milwaukee Avenue' is obviously a 12bar Jazz blues.

I think it will be part of the fun to find out what Jazz Standards they are based on, after repeated listening it will probably be obvious.

I'd be down for the workgroup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Abandoneur
    Well done, let's see if we can get anymore people joining before we start.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Abandoneur
    I've started the Study Group here:
    [Study Group] BY EAR: Jazz Phrasing for Beginners