The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 115 of 115

User Info Menu

What are the big five personality traits?

Openness

Openness is a characteristic that includes imagination and insight. The world, other people and an eagerness to learn and experience new things is particularly high for this personality trait. It leads to having a broad range of interests and being more adventurous when it comes to decision making.
    Creativity also plays a big part in the openness trait; this leads to a greater comfort zone when it comes to abstract and lateral thinking.
    Think of that person who’s always ordering the most exotic thing on the menu, going to different places and having interests which you would never have thought of… that is someone who has a high openness trait.
    Anyone low in this trait tends to be viewed with more traditional approaches to life and may struggle when it comes to problem solving outside their comfort zone of knowledge.
    Conscientiousness

Conscientiousness is a trait that includes high levels of thoughtfulness, good impulse control, and goal-directed behaviors. This organized and structured approach is often found within people who work in science and even high-retail finance where detail orientation and organization are required as a skill set.
    A highly conscientious person will regularly plan ahead and analyze their own behavior to see how it affects others. Project management teams and HR departments regularly have highly conscientious people working in their teams to help balance out the structural roles within the overall team development.
    A good example of a conscientious person would be someone you know who is always planning ahead for the next time you meet - and in the meantime, regularly staying in contact, checking in on your wellbeing. They like to organize around certain dates and events and are focused on you when you meet.
    People low in conscientiousness tend to dislike structure and schedules, procrastinate on important tasks and fail to complete tasks as well.
    Extroversion

Extroversion is a trait that many will have come across in their own lives. It’s easily identifiable and widely recognizable as “someone who gets energized in the company of others.”
    This, among other traits which include, talkativeness, assertiveness and high amounts of emotional expressiveness, have made extroverted people widely recognizable over many years of social interaction.
    We all have that one friend or family member - or several - who aren’t exactly wall flowers in a social interaction. They thrive on being the center of attention, enjoy meeting new people and somehow tend to have the biggest friends and acquaintance group you have known.
    The opposite is, of course, someone else in our lives we may know, an introvert. They prefer solitude and have less energy in social situations. Being at the center of attention or making small talk can be quite taxing.
    Extroverts tend to have very public facing roles including areas such as sales, marketing, teaching and politics. Seen as leaders, extroverted people will be more likely to lead than stand in the crowd and be seen to not be doing anything.
    Agreeableness

People who exhibit high agreeableness will show signs of trust, altruism, kindness, and affection. Highly agreeable people tend to have high prosocial behaviors which means that they’re more inclined to be helping other people.
    Sharing, comforting and cooperating are traits that lend themselves to highly agreeable personality types. Empathy towards others is commonly understood as another form of agreeableness even if the term doesn’t quite fit.
    The opposite to agreeableness is disagreeableness but it manifests in behavior traits that are socially unpleasant. Manipulation and nastiness towards others, a lack of caring or sympathy, a lack of taking interest in others and their problems are all quite common.
    Agreeable people tend to find careers in areas where they can help the most. Charity workers, medicine, mental health and even those who volunteer in soup kitchens and dedicate time to the third sector (social studies) are high in the agreeableness chart.
    Neuroticism

Neuroticism is characterized by sadness, moodiness, and emotional instability. Often mistaken for anti-social behavior, or worse a greater psychological issue, neuroticism is a physical and emotional response to stress and perceived threats in someone’s daily life.
    Individuals who exhibit high levels of neuroticism will tend to experience mood swings, anxiety and irritability. Some individuals who experience sudden changes in character from a day-to-day perspective could be highly neurotic and respond to high stress levels in their work and personal lives.
    Anxiety, which plays a large part in the makeup of neuroticism, is about an individual's ability to cope with stress and perceived or actual risk. People who suffer with neuroticism will overthink a lot of situations and find difficulty in relaxing even in their own space.
    Of course, those who rank lower on the neurotic level will exhibit a more stable and emotionally resilient attitude to stress and situations. Low neurotic sufferers also rarely feel sad or depressed, taking the time to focus on the present moment and not get involved in mental arithmetic on possible stress-inducing factors.
    Who developed the big 5 personality traits?

Originally developed in 1949, the big 5 personality traits is a theory established by D. W. Fiske and later expanded upon by other researchers including Norman (1967), Smith (1967), Goldberg (1981), and McCrae & Costa (1987).
    It’s suggested that as early the late 19th century social psychologists were trying to gain a more scientific understanding of personality but it wasn’t until the first official study in the 1930s by Gordon Allport and Henry Odbert that personality had some sort of scientific acknowledgment. They took 18,000 words from Webster’s Dictionary to describe personality traits and found adjectives that described nonphysical characteristics creating a 4500 word bank of observable behavior markers.
    Later studies were able to identify many overlaps and specific traits per person which has allowed a more condensed and comprehensive review of personality traits. The big 5 are still widely used today as the basis of global study.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I notice there’s no suggested career opportunities for neurotics.

I’ve got one - Musician

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reg, How does this translate to a teaching approach?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    What are the big five personality traits?

Openness

Openness is a characteristic that includes imagination and insight. The world, other people and an eagerness to learn and experience new things is particularly high for this personality trait. It leads to having a broad range of interests and being more adventurous when it comes to decision making.
    Creativity also plays a big part in the openness trait; this leads to a greater comfort zone when it comes to abstract and lateral thinking.
    Think of that person who’s always ordering the most exotic thing on the menu, going to different places and having interests which you would never have thought of… that is someone who has a high openness trait.
    Anyone low in this trait tends to be viewed with more traditional approaches to life and may struggle when it comes to problem solving outside their comfort zone of knowledge.
    Conscientiousness

Conscientiousness is a trait that includes high levels of thoughtfulness, good impulse control, and goal-directed behaviors. This organized and structured approach is often found within people who work in science and even high-retail finance where detail orientation and organization are required as a skill set.
    A highly conscientious person will regularly plan ahead and analyze their own behavior to see how it affects others. Project management teams and HR departments regularly have highly conscientious people working in their teams to help balance out the structural roles within the overall team development.
    A good example of a conscientious person would be someone you know who is always planning ahead for the next time you meet - and in the meantime, regularly staying in contact, checking in on your wellbeing. They like to organize around certain dates and events and are focused on you when you meet.
    People low in conscientiousness tend to dislike structure and schedules, procrastinate on important tasks and fail to complete tasks as well.
    Extroversion

Extroversion is a trait that many will have come across in their own lives. It’s easily identifiable and widely recognizable as “someone who gets energized in the company of others.”
    This, among other traits which include, talkativeness, assertiveness and high amounts of emotional expressiveness, have made extroverted people widely recognizable over many years of social interaction.
    We all have that one friend or family member - or several - who aren’t exactly wall flowers in a social interaction. They thrive on being the center of attention, enjoy meeting new people and somehow tend to have the biggest friends and acquaintance group you have known.
    The opposite is, of course, someone else in our lives we may know, an introvert. They prefer solitude and have less energy in social situations. Being at the center of attention or making small talk can be quite taxing.
    Extroverts tend to have very public facing roles including areas such as sales, marketing, teaching and politics. Seen as leaders, extroverted people will be more likely to lead than stand in the crowd and be seen to not be doing anything.
    Agreeableness

People who exhibit high agreeableness will show signs of trust, altruism, kindness, and affection. Highly agreeable people tend to have high prosocial behaviors which means that they’re more inclined to be helping other people.
    Sharing, comforting and cooperating are traits that lend themselves to highly agreeable personality types. Empathy towards others is commonly understood as another form of agreeableness even if the term doesn’t quite fit.
    The opposite to agreeableness is disagreeableness but it manifests in behavior traits that are socially unpleasant. Manipulation and nastiness towards others, a lack of caring or sympathy, a lack of taking interest in others and their problems are all quite common.
    Agreeable people tend to find careers in areas where they can help the most. Charity workers, medicine, mental health and even those who volunteer in soup kitchens and dedicate time to the third sector (social studies) are high in the agreeableness chart.
    Neuroticism

Neuroticism is characterized by sadness, moodiness, and emotional instability. Often mistaken for anti-social behavior, or worse a greater psychological issue, neuroticism is a physical and emotional response to stress and perceived threats in someone’s daily life.
    Individuals who exhibit high levels of neuroticism will tend to experience mood swings, anxiety and irritability. Some individuals who experience sudden changes in character from a day-to-day perspective could be highly neurotic and respond to high stress levels in their work and personal lives.
    Anxiety, which plays a large part in the makeup of neuroticism, is about an individual's ability to cope with stress and perceived or actual risk. People who suffer with neuroticism will overthink a lot of situations and find difficulty in relaxing even in their own space.
    Of course, those who rank lower on the neurotic level will exhibit a more stable and emotionally resilient attitude to stress and situations. Low neurotic sufferers also rarely feel sad or depressed, taking the time to focus on the present moment and not get involved in mental arithmetic on possible stress-inducing factors.
    Who developed the big 5 personality traits?

Originally developed in 1949, the big 5 personality traits is a theory established by D. W. Fiske and later expanded upon by other researchers including Norman (1967), Smith (1967), Goldberg (1981), and McCrae & Costa (1987).
    It’s suggested that as early the late 19th century social psychologists were trying to gain a more scientific understanding of personality but it wasn’t until the first official study in the 1930s by Gordon Allport and Henry Odbert that personality had some sort of scientific acknowledgment. They took 18,000 words from Webster’s Dictionary to describe personality traits and found adjectives that described nonphysical characteristics creating a 4500 word bank of observable behavior markers.
    Later studies were able to identify many overlaps and specific traits per person which has allowed a more condensed and comprehensive review of personality traits. The big 5 are still widely used today as the basis of global study.
    I think "human resources" is a very dehumanizing term. It was coined BTW in the US a few years before the German Third Reich and its slave labor.

( I am refering to the site where this information was copied from.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Krinky
    At least you aren't playing the instrument upside down. Some lefties didn't have anyone to tell them to do otherwise.
    No, but most of us lefties can play that way at least to some degree. Last time I was in NY, fellow lefty Avi Rothbard and I jammed with a bunch of ‘normal’ jazz guitarists and had them scratching their heads when we borrowed their instruments on a challenge and launched into whatever standard was called.

I’m a weird case anyway - left handed for creative pursuits and right handed/footed for all sports and functional/mechanical actions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I notice there’s no suggested career opportunities for neurotics.

I’ve got one - Musician

Yeah I’m definitely a “disagreeable neurotic”

User Info Menu

Without hearing yet how Reg would apply this in teaching, I tend to think that stuff like this (Myers Briggs, enneagram) is probably way more useful to a teacher in understanding their own tendencies as teacher than in understanding a students tendencies as a learner.

For example … Is a teacher open to new ideas and approaches, to learning new things and modifying their philosophy.

Is a teacher replenished or drained by their interaction with students.

Etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Yeah I’m definitely a “disagreeable neurotic”
    Me too. And anyone who disagrees is masking!

;-)

User Info Menu

The Big Five personality inventory is WEIRD — it works for members of societies that are Western, Educated, Industrialised, Rich and Democratic. When it was tested on members of a small tribe of hunter-gatherers in the Bolivian lowlands, results differed.

User Info Menu

Yeah not sure about that either way but I wouldn’t be surprised. Most of the search results are sort of corporate Human Resources applications, for which it is probably medium useful at least.

I tend to object to personality inventory tests on broader grounds. For example … “neuroticism” seems to be referring to traits and behaviors generally associated with a pretty wide variety of extremely common diagnosable (and frequently undiagnosed) problems that would manifest in very very different ways in different people and situations. So I’m not sure how that could be a useful descriptor of much of anything .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Krinky
    Reg, How does this translate to a teaching approach?
    I would think it's obvious. They are just a tool to help make choices of how to teach someone whatever they are after. No relationship to young kids... or students with no experience. (with music or life LOL)

Again... I'm talking about music, guitarist. And I would think any teacher is well aware of the concepts... I just posted a random example.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    I would think it's obvious. They are just a tool to help make choices of how to teach someone whatever they are after. No relationship to young kids... or students with no experience. (with music or life LOL)

Again... I'm talking about music, guitarist. And I would think any teacher is well aware of the concepts... I just posted a random example.
    I can see how it might be obvious how you’d teach someone with some of these characteristics (though I’m not sure I’d agree). What isn’t obvious though is how—as a teacher—you would assess a student and make a judgment about what kind of character traits make up the core of their personality.

User Info Menu

Peter... you probable know more that me. I was simply asked a question and answered.

This is not a question or answer about "LIFE". I'm just talking about playing jazz guitar.

Maybe asked the right questions.

User Info Menu

I've been constraining myself to the arpeggio of the changes. If the changes are fast I use the home chord of the section, and sometimes a dominant arp up a minor third when my brain can handle that, usually to see how it sounds, sometimes it sounds good.

Once I get a handle on a tune my improv is usually led with "What will this sound like?" it turns out the home key minor 6th sounds bad a lot. I keep trying to shove it in there though... am I constraining myself to the minor 6th?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I've been constraining myself to the arpeggio of the changes. If the changes are fast I use the home chord of the section, and sometimes a dominant arp up a minor third when my brain can handle that, usually to see how it sounds, sometimes it sounds good.
    This one is evergreen. May you never leave it. May it never leave you.

Fun addition … go to a cool lyrical solo (or melody statement) and steal a rhythm from it. Repeat your chord-tones-only exercise using the rhythm (and articulation etc) you stole from the solo.