Posts 76 to 98 of 98

User Info Menu

You'll need to buy this book to cook anything remotely unauthentic:

Taking up jazz guitar-curry-book-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Wife got me this for Xmas, about halfway through it

also the book 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created has a more general discussion on the impact the Columbian exchange had on food in Europe and Asia, like how potatoes solved Europe's chronic malnutrition and China's population more than doubled due to the introduction of sweet potatoes and corn
    I am very much interested in that book as well, especially as you were talking about pork. A good friend of mine who is from Sri Lanka and was raised as a Hindu told me that in Southern India the food is the more vegan the higher the caste. Beef is more a thing of Northern India according to him where more muslims are living who do not consider cattle as holy. But pork would be haram for a muslim. I know that pork is eaten in Vietnam and Korea, so Buddhists maybe? I will see, the book is in the lending library of Internet Archive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    You'll need to buy this book to cook anything remotely unauthentic:

Taking up jazz guitar-curry-book-jpg
    Better get this one

ColoBk : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    I am very much interested in that book as well, especially as you were talking about pork. A good friend of mine who is from Sri Lanka and was raised as a Hindu told me that in Southern India the food is the more vegan the higher the caste. Beef is more a thing of Northern India according to him where more muslims are living who do not consider cattle as holy. But pork would be haram for a muslim. I know that pork is eaten in Vietnam and Korea, so Buddhists maybe? I will see, the book is in the lending library of Internet Archive.
    The traditional meat for vindaloo is pork, as the dish has Portuguese origin:

Vindaloo" is derived from the Portuguese word "Vinha De Alhos," which refers to the dish's two key ingredients, "Vinho" and "Alhos". Initially, it was a watery stew in Portugal cooked with pork or beef and vinegar and garlic. However, after the Portuguese moved to India, it was entirely transformed with the inclusion of spices and chillies, and it has since become one of the world's spiciest and most popular curry meals.

https://www.currytraders.com.au/blogs/quick-easy-curry-recipes/the-history-of-the-vindaloo-curry

not sure about the history prior to that, but seems that tropical Southern India would be as conducive to pork-raising as SE Asia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    The traditional meat for vindaloo is pork, as the dish has Portuguese origin:

Vindaloo" is derived from the Portuguese word "Vinha De Alhos," which refers to the dish's two key ingredients, "Vinho" and "Alhos". Initially, it was a watery stew in Portugal cooked with pork or beef and vinegar and garlic. However, after the Portuguese moved to India, it was entirely transformed with the inclusion of spices and chillies, and it has since become one of the world's spiciest and most popular curry meals.

https://www.currytraders.com.au/blogs/quick-easy-curry-recipes/the-history-of-the-vindaloo-curry

not sure about the history prior to that, but seems that tropical Southern India would be as conducive to pork-raising as SE Asia
    And I always thought that vindaloo was Sanskrit or Hindi or Tamil LOL.

User Info Menu

Pork is eaten everywhere in the world except by Muslims and Jews. One of the things that makes swine a more economical source of meat is that they will eat anything. Absolutely anything. There are descriptions of pigs in France eating the bodies of dead soldiers during WWI. Strict Buddhists eat no meat, AFAIK, but they aren't a significant percentage of the world population.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Pork is eaten everywhere in the world except by Muslims and Jews. One of the things that makes swine a more economical source of meat is that they will eat anything. Absolutely anything. There are descriptions of pigs in France eating the bodies of dead soldiers during WWI. Strict Buddhists eat no meat, AFAIK, but they aren't a significant percentage of the world population.
    Yes very efficient, apparently pig toilets are still relatively common in S India

User Info Menu

Hindus do not eat meat, nor do Seventh Day Adventists and secular vegetarians. Buddhists will not kill; but in some traditions it is acceptable, even obligatory, to eat meat if it is a gift. The Buddha himself died by eating contaminated pork.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick

Hindus do not eat meat.
    some do, its hardly a monolithic religion

User Info Menu

Wow. The humble, brief fish sauce comment completely fire bombed the OP thread. Respect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    Wow. The humble, brief fish sauce comment completely fire bombed the OP thread. Respect.
    This is not Mr Beaumont’s first rodeo. His powers are considerable.
    Last edited by pamosmusic; 02-03-2024 at 01:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I was reading this thread and was compelled to immediately make myself some delicious mutter paneer, which was easy thanks to my frozen cubes of onion masala.

I have become the masala bore. The mastering engineer on my last two albums is also a member of team pressure cooker masala. It’s a bit like Dorico. We will not shut up about it.

Instant curry on demand, boys. Think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I was reading this thread and was compelled to immediately make myself some delicious mutter paneer, which was easy thanks to my frozen cubes of onion masala.

I have become the masala bore. The mastering engineer on my last two albums is also a member of team pressure cooker masala. It’s a bit like Dorico. We will not shut up about it.

Instant curry on demand, boys. Think about it.

Haven't you got some Paganini or something to drone on about?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Haven't you got some Paganini or something to drone on about?
    Through my use of pre prepared onion masala I can afford myself many more hours of boring on about dead Europeans on JGO.

Truly, Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.

User Info Menu

To be honest it sounds truly delicious.

User Info Menu

I just got inspired to look up pressure cooker time for lentils.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

IME lentils don't need a pressure cooker. They cook quickly, and if you let the pressure cooker go just a little too long, you get mush. If that's what you're going for in the end, it works though.

User Info Menu

Deleted. Too off topic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Deleted. Too off topic.
    How could that possibly be true? This thread already went from beginning jazz guitar to lentils.

User Info Menu

If anyone ever finds a thread on an internet forum that doesn't go off topic, please alert me. That's something I've never seen.

User Info Menu

Just make sure you wash them properly, or there'll be plenty of trumpet licks.

User Info Menu

IME lentils don't need a pressure cooker. They cook quickly, and if you let the pressure cooker go just a little too long, you get mush. If that's what you're going for in the end, it works though.
    Nothing NEEDS a pressure cooker. Pressure cookers are just a time saver for things like braised meats and soups. For lentils, they save maybe half an hour of cook time, which is not a big deal compared to, say, the hours you save with brisket, but it's something.