The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 98

User Info Menu

I find the food chat to be identical to the music chat. Just search and replace a few nouns.

Edit: actually I think the food chat is a lot more constructive tbf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anyway I can’t think of any better advice than - learn to cook dishes, learn your ingredients, flavours, keep your senses alive to their presence in other poeples work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Anyway I can’t think of any better advice than - learn to cook dishes, learn your ingredients, flavours, keep your senses alive to their presence in other poeples work.

No way, Tristano doesn’t use recipes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    No way, Tristano doesn’t use recipes.
    Probably because he is deceased

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    although most marinating is a waste of time as only salt will penetrate through the meat

so maybe marinating = learning modes
    Ever tried to marinate chicken legs with yoghurt for a few hours? (I learned this from a Pakistani friend who learned it from his mother. I think it is an important part of Pakistani/Northern India cooking -- Tandoori!!!)

The lactobacilli definitely have an effect on the meat (is tender the correct adjective?).

Comparing that with learning modes is almost an insult.

(Haven't seen my friend for a while. He probably does not have much time for cooking leading a YT channel with 145k subscribers.)

Last edited by Bop Head; 01-31-2024 at 08:21 PM.

User Info Menu

When I started guitar at twelve years old I wanted to 'do my own thing', not emulate and certainly not duplicate. Through my crappy prog rock compositions I was drawn to jazz and learned to love the 'here's the frame, the melody, chords, feel and style' now 'do your own thing' with it.

I cook for one and never read a recipe. I have moderate success. I love the process but would love a primer on herbs. My taste and smell is yet not sensitive to herb's effect. I've cooked enough to know that like music, less (generally) is more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    When I started guitar at twelve years old I wanted to 'do my own thing', not emulate and certainly not duplicate. Through my crappy prog rock compositions I was drawn to jazz and learned to love the 'here's the frame, the melody, chords, feel and style' now 'do your own thing' with it.

I cook for one and never read a recipe. I have moderate success. I love the process but would love a primer on herbs. My taste and smell is yet not sensitive to herb's effect. I've cooked enough to know that like music, less (generally) is more.
    Meanwhile I am cooking (which I learned learning-by-doing) professionally in my day job and I have to to say that for certain dishes you need quite a lot of spices, e.g. for Italian food or Indian food.

For 16 portions of a good Indian lentil dhal you need 4 spoons of each of the following: cumin, curcuma, paprika powder, coriander and of garam masala or something similar. Then 8 onions and 16 garlic gloves, 8 teaspoons of ground ginger and salt and pepper.

Regarding the effects of herbs and spices (and generally food ingredients) I am very much interested in their effect on human health, e.g. traditional Indian food is at the same time tasty Ayurvedic medicine. I am not sure how one could translate that for our cooking image of music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Ever tried to marinate chicken legs with yoghurt for a few hours? (I learned this from a Pakistani friend who learned it from his mother. I think it is an important part of Pakistani/Northern India cooking -- Tandoori!!!)

The lactobacilli definitely have an effect on the meat (is tender the correct adjective?).

Comparing that with learning modes is almost an insult.

(Haven't seen my friend for a while. He probably does not have much time for cooking leading a YT channel with 145k subscribers.)

the point is marinades do flavor the outside of meat but don’t penetrate past the surface.

User Info Menu

Meanwhile I am cooking (which I learned learning-by-doing) professionally in my day job and I have to to say that for certain dishes you need quite a lot of spices, e.g. for Italian food or Indian food.

For 16 portions of a good Indian lentil dhal you need 4 spoons of

each of the following: cumin, curcuma, paprika powder, coriander and of garam masala or something similar. Then 8 onions and 16 garlic gloves, 8 teaspoons of ground ginger and salt and pepper.

Regarding the effects of herbs and spices (and generally food ingredients) I am very much interested in their effect on human health, e.g. traditional Indian food is at the same time tasty Ayurvedic medicine. I am not sure how one could translate that for our cooking image of music.
    My 2 cents: fresh ginger root, not powder. Roasted dried Kashmiri or Byadagi chilis, paprika is way too tame, and something aromatic like cinnamon or star anise.

don’t buy the trad medicine as food changes a lot - N Indian food as we know it dates from the late 18th century - no chilis or tomatoes in Asia before 1500 and chilis only made their way into N India in the latter 18th century

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Jazz without blues is like carne asada marinade without fish sauce.

(Really.)
    I gotta take your word on this!

User Info Menu

My 2 cents: fresh ginger root, not powder. Roasted dried Kashmiri or Byadagi chilis, paprika is way too tame, and something aromatic like cinnamon or star anise.

don’t buy the trad medicine as food changes a lot - N Indian food as we know it dates from the late 18th century - no chilis or tomatoes in Asia before 1500 and chilis only made their way into N India in the latter 18th century
    Of course fresh ginger. I never use ginger, onion or garlic powder. Always fresh!

Hot paprika powder of course and a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of chili seed.

A little bit of cinnamon into everything (a tiny bit even into pasta sauce). Cinnamon has a positive effect on the pancreas, highly recommended for folks with beginning diabetes.

Cooked (more than raw according to an alternative practitioner friend) tomatoes are good for your heart BTW.

Hot spices like chili are "fire energy" according to East Indian and Chinese traditional medicine. They stimulate circulation and digestion (and also have a little antibacterial effect in poor countries with low hygiene standards).

EDIT: That alternative practitioner friend is not a charlatan. He has studied TCM including accupunture (which means knowing ca. 300 points and their interrelationships) and is an expert in herbal medicine having written several books. 3rd dan in Okinawa karate apart from that.

User Info Menu

Of course fresh ginger. I never use ginger, onion or garlic powder. Always fresh!

Hot paprika powder of course and a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of chili seed.

A little bit of cinnamon into everything (a tiny bit even into pasta sauce). Cinnamon has a positive effect on the pancreas, highly recommended for folks with beginning diabetes.

Cooked (more than raw according to an alternative practitioner friend) tomatoes are good for your heart BTW.

Hot spices like chili are "fire energy" according to East Indian and Chinese traditional medicine. They stimulate circulation and digestion (and also have a little antibacterial effect in poor countries with low hygiene standards).
    sure but how can India and China have all this traditional wisdom on chilis when they did not exist for most of their history?

User Info Menu

sure but how can India and China have all this traditional wisdom on chilis when they did not exist for most of their history?
    Their were other hot spices. Remember that guy Christopher Columbus who wanted to travel to India to fetch spices?

And I guess a good Ayurvedic healer has enough body awareness to find out effects of a new substance rather quick. He does not take a few thousand years for that.

User Info Menu

Their were other hot spices. Remember that guy Christopher Columbus who wanted to travel to India to fetch spices?

And I guess a good Ayurvedic healer has enough body awareness to find out effects of a new substance rather quick. He does not take a few thousand years for that.
    Only black pepper and it’s relatives until the Portuguese brought dried chilis into Goa in the early 1500s. The only plants with capaicin came from Mexico

User Info Menu

Only black pepper and it’s relatives until the Portuguese brought dried chilis into Goa in the early 1500s. The only plants with capaicin came from Mexico
    300 to 400 years is quite some time for experience based medicine.

And I mentioned body awareness, something that has been quite lost in modern "Western" "civilized" societies. Through things like meditation (that until today play a role in the East, especially in their combination with physical exercises like prana yoga or hatha yoga or chi gong) you can reach states of body awareness that we Westerners with normally everything happening only between our ears can only dream of.

Having a higher state of body awareness means that you better realize what effect on your body something has.

"We" in the West on the other hand eat a lot of industrially produced highly processed shit, too much refined sugar and too much meat which causes all kinds of lifestyle diseases, like obiesity, diabetes, allergies, athritis, cancer, cardiovascular problems, even mental health problems can be a result of bad nutrition. We have totally lost contact to that awareness.

User Info Menu

the point is marinades do flavor the outside of meat but don’t penetrate past the surface.
    Marinades are not solely for flavor...

But if you want them to stick to the meat more, mayo. Really. Your cooked food will NOT taste like mayo, I promise.

For dal, I was taught the magic ingredient is asafoetida. After using it, I have to agree.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Marinades are not solely for flavor...

But if you want them to stick to the meat more, mayo. Really. Your cooked food will NOT taste like mayo, I promise.

For dal, I was taught the magic ingredient is asafoetida. After using it, I have to agree.
    Not sure if I can convince my boss to buy asafoetida although it seems to be affordable (we offer two different lunch meals for EUR 6 resp. 6.50) but I will try it at home. My lady loves dal. Thanks for the tip.

User Info Menu

For 16 portions of a good Indian lentil dhal you need 4 spoons of each of the following: cumin, curcuma, paprika powder, coriander and of garam masala or something similar. Then 8 onions and 16 garlic gloves, 8 teaspoons of ground ginger and salt and pepper.

Indian: You're throwing me in the deep end here. I've recently bought some of those spices. I'll be bold with some cauliflower.

User Info Menu

Indian: You're throwing me in the deep end here. I've recently bought some of those spices. I'll be bold with some cauliflower.
    You say you never use recipes. I think it is worth looking at recipes (trillions of them online) and vary from there. And try the taste a lot. You do not even have to change he spoon if you are cooking for yourself only.

YouTube is a source for tricks also. I learned to how cut a mango from Jamie Oliver.

User Info Menu

Now you’ve told me Indian food is healthy I’ll never enjoy a curry again.

User Info Menu

For real though. Real world cooking hack… Pressure cooker onion masala. Cook up a batch on a Sunday. Stick it in the freezer.

Home cooked curry everyday with basically no effort. Live the dream.

Just add whatever you want to curry and maybe a bit of tomato (I usually have Paneer and Peas but it works as a base for anything.)

it’s an old trick!

User Info Menu

The beauty of learning to cook Indian food is getting to use beef & pork (which are actually eaten in India, but not served at Indian restaurants in the West for obvious reasons)

User Info Menu

The beauty of learning to cook Indian food is getting to use beef & pork (which are actually eaten in India, but not served at Indian restaurants in the West for obvious reasons)
    BWV: You made some interesting historical references. Is there a history of food book you recommend?

User Info Menu

BWV: You made some interesting historical references. Is there a history of food book you recommend?
    Wife got me this for Xmas, about halfway through it

also the book 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created has a more general discussion on the impact the Columbian exchange had on food in Europe and Asia, like how potatoes solved Europe's chronic malnutrition and China's population more than doubled due to the introduction of sweet potatoes and corn

User Info Menu

Thanks so much!