The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I find that singing helps retain the melody/phrase in my memory.

I've found over the years that the following method works (for me) when learning a new melody/phrase by ear:

Without a guitar, I listen to a recording of a new melody/phrase repeatedly, maybe a few times during the day(s).

Until, I can clearly hear the melody/phrase internally in my head.

Then I Sing the melody/phrase along with the recording.

Then I Sing the melody/phrase without the recording.

Only then, do I find and play the melody/phrase on my guitar.

But, I avoid learning anything too complex for my ears.

Start with something very simple.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just go a bar at a time, usually with youtube slowed down to 75%. Struggle struggle struggle and eventually I get there. It helps that most tunes are AABA so I'm only really learning 14 bars with 2 turarounds.

A - 6 Bars + Turnaround 1
    A2 - repeat of 6 bars + Turnaround 2
    B - 8 bars
    A3 - Usually the same as A2

I also don't learn anything I haven't heard 100 times. I like jazz, I listen to jazz and learn what I like to listen to. I'm not a Dragonforce fan trying to learn jazz to make my shred better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I just go a bar at a time, usually with youtube slowed down to 75%. Struggle struggle struggle and eventually I get there. It helps that most tunes are AABA so I'm only really learning 14 bars with 2 turarounds.

A - 6 Bars + Turnaround 1
    A2 - repeat of 6 bars + Turnaround 2
    B - 8 bars
    A3 - Usually the same as A2

I also don't learn anything I haven't heard 100 times. I like jazz, I listen to jazz and learn what I like to listen to. I'm not a Dragonforce fan trying to learn jazz to make my shred better.
    same here, except YouTube to 50%.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Separate affirmation for this one.

I don’t really transcribe something if I can’t hum probably half of it note for note already. Not consciously, but just … transcribe stuff you like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I don’t really transcribe something if I can’t hum probably half of it note for note already.
    Yes, but, I think I need to hear the music internally in my head, before even trying to sing/hum/whistle it accurately.
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 01-09-2024 at 06:41 AM.