User Info Menu

That’s a fantastic point

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    That’s a fantastic point
    Aw, s^^T!

joelf Guest
    You don't get to be of my vintage w/o now and then accidentally stumbling onto the odd insight...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Honestly I don’t really love listening to Joe Pass either......
    Listen to Sounds of Synanon then. That'll change you...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    That's interesting. I think, though, there is difference between what Parker was doing and what Sonny Rollins was describing as inserting a pre-thoughtout lick over a certain chord (and not having much success with it). Parker had his small phrases but I don't think planed where to use them in advance. He could go on and on endlessly playing tasty lines over the same changes. It's possible that the improvisation process at the neurological level isn't that different between players. The differences is mostly is how they think about the process and make sense of it. That's just one thought.
    I don't think Lee meant that Parker 'planned where to use them in advance', but rather that he had a very defined and specific vocab at his fingertips. It was at the ready to be reorganized and called into service anytime. If it was a blues there was a vocab, a collection of relevant motifs, or a ballad.

That's what Konitz meant by calling him a 'composer'. A composer develops and stockpiles an arsenal of stock ideas to be used in various ways, combined in various ways. The Bartok of Concerto for Orchestra is the same composer as of the string quartets. The same modes and quotes from Hungarian folk melodies are present in each, but used differently.

Of course composition is more planned when done right, where jazz is more spontaneous when done right...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Ah I’ve done the whole circuit. Nothing against him. Just not my bag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Ah I’ve done the whole circuit. Nothing against him. Just not my bag.
    Even this one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Not really a JP fan either, but I did like this:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bediles
    Even this one?

Wow actually this one’s not bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    In college, I was asked to write down a short solo every week. Write, play. It didn't only help but made it ok.
    What it did was to become very obsessed about the notes. Although I was very very bad at soloing, it made them passable at times. When I stopped doing that because overwhelming study requirements, my solos started to sound like vomit again.
    Writing down good thoughts - how can this be a bad idea?
    In art school we also did this with drawing. We had to draw a figure in class like ten times then bring one the next class and talk about it. After I started working as a designer I never felt too bad just bringing comps in to show because I had done it so many times before.