The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea... when I was a kid I would take different books and then notate out different possibilities that could be developed from their concepts.... say like the MB books.
    I still do that for my own archives and teaching purposes. For instance, I've been working with a few students on simple polyrhythms and I'm adapting melodic sequences that I first encountered (at least in written form) in books by Jerry Bergonzi, Steve Neff and others.
    Best way to work through books?-polyrhythms-jpg
    Last edited by PMB; 12-01-2023 at 10:06 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yea.. PMB, great material.

I haven't done much in the last few decades..... but have boxes of notated out examples in very much the same approach and organization.... only all hand notated.

Lots of the simple material... with all possibilities and variations using scales, arpeggios, and then with chord patterns etc... standard material.

Most of the practice material could be mentally envisioned or extrapolated from the basic example which opened the door to using and developing technique.... speed etc.

Wolf had brought up Joe Diorio's books on another thread.... which reminded me of his Left and Right brain concepts. Which is somewhat how I use to separate Technical development and Performance development.

Only bringing up because I played a Gig at Google/MTV Thur. evening and during the break was mingling with the tech geeks... (part of job LOL) and was enjoying how many brilliant minds would develop conversations about music etc... I'm very relaxed and loose while performing and engage with audiences... again part of the job... and opens the door for conversations later...anyway was fun to hear where the conversations went with the techs... many of them being amateur musicians.

Again great material... looks like you have the teaching thing together.

User Info Menu

Chorale 1 to the first fermata, then to the second fermata etc.

Definitely a different feel on the 8 string. Step by step and, yes, each phase has to be fairly smooth before moving to the next.

Best way to work through books?-img20231129224736-jpg

User Info Menu

Yea.. PMB, great material.

I haven't done much in the last few decades..... but have boxes of notated out examples in very much the same approach and organization.... only all hand notated.

Lots of the simple material... with all possibilities and variations using scales, arpeggios, and then with chord patterns etc... standard material.

Most of the practice material could be mentally envisioned or extrapolated from the basic example which opened the door to using and developing technique.... speed etc.

Wolf had brought up Joe Diorio's books on another thread.... which reminded me of his Left and Right brain concepts. Which is somewhat how I use to separate Technical development and Performance development.

Only bringing up because I played a Gig at Google/MTV Thur. evening and during the break was mingling with the tech geeks... (part of job LOL) and was enjoying how many brilliant minds would develop conversations about music etc... I'm very relaxed and loose while performing and engage with audiences... again part of the job... and opens the door for conversations later...anyway was fun to hear where the conversations went with the techs... many of them being amateur musicians.

Again great material... looks like you have the teaching thing together.
    Thanks Reg. Yeah, close to 40 years of teaching and gigging. Busier than I've ever been on both fronts and still loving it.

Those corporate gigs can be great fun (and they're usually very well-paid!). There's always someone with deep and wide interests wanting to strike up a chat in the breaks.

Btw, I agree about the David Berkman jazz harmony book. His book for singers and the one on creative practicing are also excellent. I like how he introduces different levels of information in a logical manner along with a bunch of light-hearted yet relevant anecdotes that illuminate the topic or concepts at hand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diode
    In the past I’ve always been bogged down by jazz/music books and sought total understanding/memorization of the material. As a result I rarely finished the books or even progressed very far, not wanting to move on from the first few pages or chapters.

Lately I’ve been trying to just move quickly through a given book and return to concepts over time. I’ve found this to be a lot more helpful.

How do you use books?
    Back in my bar band, weekend warrior days, I finally realized buying another piece of gear wasn't going to improve my playing. So when I needed some retail therapy, I would buy a book or video lesson instead. Over time I collected a decent library of materials. Trying to decipher the information laid out in some of the 'must have' tomes - looking at you Mr Goodrick and you Mr Chord Chemist, I thought I would never get much out of a lot of the material, save for a few basic concepts and ideas that I already understood.

But perserverance has won out. Nowadays, I will often realize a concept has worked it's way into my playing and I will dig out the appropriate section in Chord Chemistry, Single Note Soloing, Modern Chord Progressions, The Advancing Guitarist, The Jazz Theory Book et al and dig deeper into it to cement my understanding.

Though this is probably the slowest way to work with them, I've become intimately familiar with many of these books and continue to enjoy working with them. Though lots of pieces of gear and instruments have come and gone, my library is something that continues to inspire.

It also continues to grow as new books become available. Tim Lerch's Chord Dictionary and Berkley Guitar Theory are two of the latest additions.

User Info Menu

I'm trying to break my addiction of buying jazz guitar books and videos. I admit I have B.A.S. I have actually sold many through the years just like gear. Personally I have gotten very little out of all of them including a bunch of video courses. The exception being Barry Green's videos and the occasional book like Garrison Fewell's Jazz Improvisation for Guitar - A Melodic Jazz approach. And of course the Real Book. As a matter of fact I'm about to list a bunch of them in the for sale section...real cheap

Regarding the concept of focusing...Chris Whiteman's Patreon channel is perfect for that. He offers up concentrated mini video lesson a couple of times a month with an accompanying PDF. It's plenty to chew on without being overwhelming.

And as Pierre said "Time on the instrument"

User Info Menu

Every few years or so, I like to go back to the basics again, learning chord tones, 7th resolving to the 3rd of the next chord, simple stuff, but effective.

User Info Menu

I used to brute force books (I know, lame) with the hope of 'finishing' them but that takes a lot out of me. So instead nowadays I just take a concept(s) that interest me from anywhere (could be a book, whatever) and integrate it somewhat randomly during my practice. I go through different areas in rotation for a short time each like 'technique', 'reading', etc. In any case I end up doing multiple 'cycles'. There are a lot of things that interest me within the areas so I just let the wheel of fate (list randomizer for example) decide for me what to practice. There are times I end up doing multiple things from the list within an area in a single cycle but it depends what I'm doing. Generally maybe not the best way to go about things especially for those short on time but oh well I tried

User Info Menu

Ted Dunbar used to say this about learning from music books, "for every page you read, write 10 of your own". A variant of what you get is deeply intertwined with what you put in.

User Info Menu

Yea bako... that is pretty much the approach.

Most books need a teacher, or someone who understands the material, can play the material and can connect the dots for the one going through the book. Of which there are not that many who can cover. Most of the private teachers are generally teaching because... well the $. Disclaimer.... not all and no one on this forum.
    Which leads to book collecting and looking for the one(s) that will open the door to... where or what one is searching for.

Many books are great for sight reading.... I just sightread through PMB's examples above, mentally etc... they are not what one expects... it takes a sec. to get the patterns. Anyway many books have great sight reading material. The playing of the examples also helps understand concepts and will help with technique... understanding the fretboard and how it works.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diode
    In the past I’ve always been bogged down by jazz/music books and sought total understanding/memorization of the material. As a result I rarely finished the books or even progressed very far, not wanting to move on from the first few pages or chapters.

Lately I’ve been trying to just move quickly through a given book and return to concepts over time. I’ve found this to be a lot more helpful.

How do you use books?
    I have the usual shelf of books. I even bought the same one twice, because there was a new cover and I didn't realize I owned it.

They haven't been useless, but the benefits have been sort of unpredictable.

I've gotten about nothing from lick books, except maybe some reading practice and a general sense of what a lick might be. Years ago, I think I got something from chord books, especially the ones Warren Nunes wrote. I went through the Chord Bible and picked up some ii Vs.

Didn't get much from Ted Greene's books or Joe Pass'. Other people do, so it's not a criticism of the books. Nothing from the thin yellow Van Eps book.

Plenty from Nelson Faria's books on Brazilian styles. A lot from Mark Levine's Jazz Theory. Plenty from the old Cardex fakebook and the Real Book.

User Info Menu

Yea Rick... I'm also old LOL and I have a huge library... old and new set of Groves.... all the theory and compositional books etc... I love them all. Like I've said... I buy many of them to help support artist etc...
    I mean I have C,Bb, Eb and Bass clef copies of all fake books that are printed... that's a section in it's self.

They all have had their moment's. At Ocean this sunday... lets record some tunes to post on forum. entertainment LOL

User Info Menu

I treat instructional guitar books like a box of chocolates; I pick the sections that interest me and ignore the rest.

I’ve spent years writing out various things on paper. I’ll set myself a goal like “CAGED scales/arpeggios in my favourite keys” and write them out and use them for my practice. Another might be “Favourite Jazz chords”, “Quartile chords”, “Diatonic Triads ascending up the neck”; basically anything that piques my interest. I’ve probably amassed enough after all these years to publish! I’ve found this to be an excellent way to learn. Write your very own book! It’s guaranteed to contain all the things that interest you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    Write your very own book! It’s guaranteed to contain all the things that interest you!
    Yes. I have been doing this with little ideas, licks or chords I want to remember. I might make a reference to the YouTube or book where I got it from so I can also go back to the source.

User Info Menu

Reg said...

"...Which leads to book collecting and looking for the one(s) that will open the door to... where or what one is searching for.

Many books are great for sight reading..."

so true..and important to make the exercises yours..play them in different keys and positions..fit them in a blues..

being I tend to explore lines in a fusion framework I will fit them in with lines I already have under my fingers

User Info Menu

Yea Rick... I'm also old LOL and I have a huge library... old and new set of Groves.... all the theory and compositional books etc... I love them all. Like I've said... I buy many of them to help support artist etc...
    I mean I have C,Bb, Eb and Bass clef copies of all fake books that are printed... that's a section in it's self.

They all have had their moment's. At Ocean this sunday... lets record some tunes to post on forum. entertainment LOL
    Hope the weather holds. I took your advice and have upgraded my amplification strategy. For the moment it's Boss ME80 into Bose S1.

User Info Menu

Method books are mostly evil.
    They create a feeling of comfort that making music can be accessable through conventional methods to anyone...
    And in reality you are alone in the desert and no-one is going to help you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Method books are mostly evil.
    They create a feeling of comfort that making music can be accessable through conventional methods to anyone...
    And in reality you are alone in the desert and no-one is going to help you

I knew it! Just waiting for someone to confirm my suspicions!!