The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Yea, this is fun thread.

So maybe another aspect or just a question... do you need to watch your fret hand while playing?

I was watching some of the other players.... and generally most are looking at their fretboard and without much movement.

Much of where my preference is from.... I don't watch what I'm playing or my fretting hand, (left). I do sometime for effect LOL. But generally I'm watching everything else, other players, music, audience. And I generally have lots of movement which somewhat reflects what I'm playing. Good or Bad... ? but generally other musicians tend to like it... it's another cue as to what's going on with the music, LOL. And I'm having Fun... which translated to to audience. I think I'm somewhat normal for working musicians ...

Disclaimer... studio etc... sometimes, the goal isn't to be live etc...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK... I just looked at old vid of gig I was subbing at.... and the strap looks more like a safety net... I have terrible looking posture etc.... so maybe I'm more of a freak. So OP... maybe watch and listen to other guitarist.

This was 1st gig I played with this band... and I think the drummer was also sub... the mando player was and still is great Blue Grass player in a few bands....(I still perform with them, I have some great working musicians sitting in at many of the gigs... He also gets great big $ gigs at Google etc... along with the normal shit).

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with being a freak, lol. At a jam last night my "sitting position" (atop a little combo amp) was predetermined by the close proximity of two horn players, who were kind enough to step to one side when I took a solo on a borrowed 1960s ES335. Cramped, but fun. Nice guitar, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Nothing wrong with being a freak, lol. At a jam last night my "sitting position" (atop a little combo amp) was predetermined by the close proximity of two horn players, who were kind enough to step to one side when I took a solo on a borrowed 1960s ES335. Cramped, but fun. Nice guitar, too.

Yea thanks Peter.... I'm pretty use to label, LOL. I'm way to loose and love being on he edge. A 60s ES... yea very cool... Those were great working guitars for louder music. They were so easy to play... I miss Jams.

User Info Menu

^ It was fun, long time without jamming, too. I'm a jazz impostor, but they let me loose on Impressions and The Sidewinder and of course, I didn't stick to the script. It seemed to go down well judging by the smiles and handshakes, so will be going back.

User Info Menu

The 335 body shape is inherently uncomfortable to play. I had one for years and played it as I did, but then I got a stratocaster and my playing took off, partly because it is so comfortable to sit on a sofa with, I ended up playing a hell of a lot more, no red marks on lower ribs!

Sound is harsh for Jazz compared to semi hollows, this is well known, but no different when it comes to putting the time in practicing and working things out. For doing that comfort has to be a priority for me.

User Info Menu

I have a sofa tele: although I don’t find the 335 to be that bad?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I have a sofa tele: although I don’t find the 335 to be that bad?
    Yeh everyone's got a tele in front of their sofa, this forum is about guitars!

User Info Menu

You DO get used to it, playing a semi or solid body seated. A tele was my only guitar for many years, so used to it I got. I do use a strap now when sitting, but I never used to.

Of course, I've also been on a long kick of only wanting to play acoustic, so...I get that too.

User Info Menu

Having been used to my Godin Fifth Avenue Kingpin, it took some adjustment when I first got my Fender Mustang, but the latter is now my favourite guitar in terms of comfort. I generally play sitting down with the strap on, but during the hourly intervals in which I practice, by around the 40-45 minute mark I often feel the need to take the strap off and rest the guitar on my right leg, which frees up my right arm and the general change in posture feels better, and this is easier to do with the Mustang owing to its more slender shape compared with the Godin (although the Godin in many respects is a better guitar, and I feel I should play it more often).

User Info Menu

I had the same problem with a 335-style guitar. I tried using classical foot rests, balancing on different legs, using one of those supports, different width straps, and on and on. My eventual solution was to sell the 335-style guitar and get a different one. After several years of experimentation, I have found that a 17-inch bout, 3-inch depth archtop fits best for me. I use a 2-inch strap most of the time and almost always play seated in a firm chair so that my knees are bent at 90 degrees. It used to occupy a lot of my thought, but now that I've found what works, thankfully I can play without any discomfort without having to think about these things.

When I see many jazz greats playing a 335-style guitar, I feel tempted to buy one again. But then I remind myself of all the time I spent (i.e. wasted) trying to make it feel comfortable to play with. It may work well for some, but it doesn't for me. And that's ok.

Good luck on your quest.

User Info Menu

I have an Ibanez AS73 that is very comfortable to play and it is a 335 style. That said, I have an Epiphone 335 that I struggle to get comfortable with for the reasons the OP mentions. My sense is the bout on the 335 is cut too far forward making it intrinsically unbalanced and the weight of the guitar is high compared to most instruments. Unfortunate because the guitar sounds great and plays great. I use a strap to deal with the issue but after a long gig you feel it.

User Info Menu

I also place my right foot on a footstool. Raising the guitar a couple of inches makes all the difference for my comfort. I do this for acoustics, electrics, even my classical. The only guitar that it doesn’t work for me is my dreadnaught sized acoustic.