The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Yeah I’m not trying to come down on books or lessons. I’m trying to say there’s a video you can watch for free and save $25.

It really doesn’t matter how you learn as long as you can play something afterwards.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I wish there were a library comprised of all the books our members had no further use for. Send it to the repository. Post it as available. The sheer volumes we forum members possess in very specialized guitar focus must be staggering (certainly more than my local library).
    In the ideal world, we could digitize our musical resources, make them easily accessible, pay a nominal fee to acknowledge the author and have resource at our fingertips.
    Which reminds me, check the online resources for PDFs of books out of print. Someone may have them to share.
    Which reminds me, the Internet Archive has a substantial collection of guitar books.

These two books may be of interest. Amazon.com

Amazon.com

User Info Menu

Thanks all for new suggests
    Unfortunately where I live there are many libraries with every type of books also about music , but with it’s hard found method for instrument

User Info Menu

About book you have suggest

@frabarmus
    Martin Taylor do you mean this two?
    Book to learn fingerstyle jazz (autodidact/alone)-img_3817-jpegBook to learn fingerstyle jazz (autodidact/alone)-img_3818-jpeg

@Jimmi the blue note
    about Aaron Shearer which series of books between these ?
    https://www.aaronshearerfoundation.org/asf-bookstore/
    Books suggest for Johnny Smith , Howard Morgen and Mike Elliott?

Thanks for your time ???

User Info Menu

@Guido, I mean the on on the right (Mel Bay) which I have. It's very good, I think, and also has nice right hand finger picking exercises.

I don't know the book on the left, but I'm sure it's good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I mean … I think the issue would be that someone maybe doesn’t know what those things mean? And maybe someone doesn’t know what it means to “learn the style.”
    If you have to believe TE all the answers to those questions are in the first (or was it previous) video he made. I didn't watch it but will assume that it contains at least some pointers where to find even more basic info.
    Plus, you'll have to hit rewind and watch it again. And then do that a thousand times more. Because that's what he had to do.

And that's probably the truest and most useful bit of information in the whole video.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido_59
    Unfortunately where I live there are many libraries with every type of books also about music , but with it’s hard found method for instrument
    Are you sure that is what you wanted to say?

BTW, are you the Guido59 who asked about Cordoba guitars on the AGF?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=RJVB;1298264]
    Are you sure that is what you wanted to say?

BTW, are you the Guido59 who asked about Cordoba guitars on the AGF?[/QUOTE

yes it's always me
    Excuse me I would say :
    Unfortunately where I live there are many libraries with every type of books also about music , but with it’s hard found a specific method to learn guitar or other instrument

I’m looking for method because I play alone at home , only for fun

User Info Menu

Beyond Chord Melody by Martin Taylor is a good book for solo fingerstyle guitar especially if you like Martin's playing style.

User Info Menu

The Johnny Smith books to get are the Mel Bay "Johnny Smith approach to the guitar" ones which at least used to be published in two volumes. Johnny was a strict pick player, although to listen to him one would frequently think he was playing fingerstyle. He was able to leverage chord voicings in a way to cover the same ground. But the left-hand approach that he teaches in those books is very powerful. A quirk is that he believed in not transposing the guitar and preferred notating it on piano staff. In his heyday as a studio player in the late 40s and 50s in New York City, he was well known for requesting the piano chart and not wanting the "guitar" chart. He could read anything on sight.

another interesting book is by John Knowles on the Lenny Breau guitar style. It is not comprehensive, by any means, and really is about the specific elements of Lenny's style. Speaking of John Knowles, he is a well-known finger style guitarist from the Nashville area, who publishes the Fingerstyle Quarterly. (I don't know if that's still a current project, or if he has retired from this which for some reason I have thought is the case; it does appear that you can still subscribe).

John Knowles - Guitarist