The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I'm currently working through a book called Beyond Pentatonic Blues Guitar by Ross Campbell. It's pitched at exactly the right level for where I am now.
    It is basically a book of Lick/Line ideas to play over the I Chord, the Transition to the IV Chord, What to play over the IV Chord and What to Play Over the Turnaround. It has lots of examples (at least 20 for each section) covering different areas of the neck and different rhythms etc.

What I'm wondering is, is there a similar book to what I've described above for Jazz?
    What I'm really looking for is a book that shows me what to play over common progressions (ii-V-I major and minor as well as other common Jazz chords). I'm sure there are lots of books that fit this description, but what I'm looking for are books that people have used that they would recommend.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm a Mickey Baker fan. There are criticisms that it's dated, but the music I like is from that time so it works for me. First half is chords, second half is single note.

Amazon.com

User Info Menu

Warren Nunes wrote a series of books, most of which would probably be helpful. They are mostly slim volumes (the Chord Bible is an exception), but they have good information, well presented. Iirc, you have to be able to read at least basic material. I'd suggest starting with the Blues book, which will introduce you to jazz blues.

User Info Menu

Also this website(jazzguitar.be) has a bunch of lessons.

25 Easy II V I Jazz Guitar Licks

User Info Menu

I would recommend Garrison Fewell's book:
    Jazz Improvisation for Guitar - A Melodic Approach

Then APPLY the concepts to songs you like.

User Info Menu

There all good.... I went through the M.B books as a kid.... you need to be able to read and write music. And you need to expand the studies on your own as he suggests. For such old simple and small books... the results are as good as any.

They will create a more that ample level of playing technically to actually be able to perform and understand how to play jazz and be able to incorporate the more modern technical understandings.

They were guitar books. If your just looking for melodic or soloing with single lines..... you need to get your technical skills really up there, and then start working with melodic instrument studies.... there are lots of them.
    But you need to be able to sight read and have chops. Jazz soloing isn't in slow motion...LOL.

User Info Menu

Take a look at Fundamental Changes in Jazz Guitar by Joseph Alexander. It sounds similar to your Blues book - step by step how to build lines over each part of the II-V-I with lots of examples. It's methodical, and if you take your time to assimilate the material as he suggests rather than rushing ahead to the next bit, it will give you a lot of the building blocks for solid soloing. His Jazz Blues Soloing for Guitar book takes the same approach and could be a good transition for you.

User Info Menu

... I got's to say... one of Joseph's latest books is... 'Self-Published Millionaire.'

But still may be good. He's part of the new wave of how musicians can make a living.... a good living and not really bother to actually play jazz. Check out playing and examples of books on youtube... and see which ones sound right. You kind of need a goal, know yourself and where you would like to get. It's takes a few years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    I would recommend Garrison Fewell's book:
    Jazz Improvisation for Guitar - A Melodic Approach
    Thanks alltunes - following your recommendation, my copy arrived today. It's bloody brilliant.

Chapters 1 and 2 are the most clear and concise - yet comprehensive - explanation of diatonic harmony I've ever read, and in Chapter 3 we're off into examples and practice.

Exactly what I needed to unlock the next level - so thank you so much for that recommendation.

User Info Menu

There was a study group on that book. Might be interesting looking up the posts. I don't think I was ready for it myself then, but one of these days I'll revisit it.

User Info Menu

Thanks Digger, I'll check that out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Simon1234
    Thanks alltunes - following your recommendation, my copy arrived today. It's bloody brilliant.

Chapters 1 and 2 are the most clear and concise - yet comprehensive - explanation of diatonic harmony I've ever read, and in Chapter 3 we're off into examples and practice.

Exactly what I needed to unlock the next level - so thank you so much for that recommendation.
    Excellent! It is the book I personally got the most out of and keep going back to. He really covers everything you need. Major and minor ii-Vs, playing over dominant chords, guide tones, comping…..it’s all in there.

Here is thread index:

Garrison Fewell's Melodic Approach - Index Thread

User Info Menu

cant beat you tube transcriptions....all the Stars...Green,Wes,Raney,love Dougs work...etc...but books ok if your into theory...im not...scales etc Ugh..

User Info Menu

Would be cool if any of "you"... guitarist who go or have gone through any of the books mentioned, would actually .....post and talk about some examples of your improvement.

I'm only bringing this up because.... there are just very players who have used any of the books and actually learned how to play. Usually they memorize some simple licks, patterns even an example of a solo.... usually more in the classical tradition for kids or beginners. Which is not bad or wrong etc....

But generally leaning to play in slow motion teaches one to play, think and hear in slow motion. Which is usually what most complain about years later when they have trouble playing jazz.

Where as... I know many players who have changed direction and worked on their technical skills, chops... and depending on their age etc... can begin to play in a year or two. And at that point any book they go through becomes usable... because you can actually play, hear and understand the book's concepts in real time.

User Info Menu

I agree Reg, the more I work on technical skills the easier everything else gets. I think it's good to learn the major scale up the neck before you worry about navigating ii V I's.