The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I have 3 books that I'm looking for, and hope someone here can help (apologies if this has been asked one million times before!)

I'm looking for a Jazz Method (or series of method) books similar to Blues You Can Use by John Ganapes for Blues. I'm aware of Mickey Baker and Jody Fisher, but looking for other recommendations that cover all bases.

I'm also looking for a book covering Jazz Soloing over common Jazz Progressions - Maj and Min ii-V-I as well as lots of other types of progressions.

Finally, a book on Jazz Comping would be great!

I'm coming from a Rock/Blues Background, and need some help from people who are in the know!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ted Greene has some books that might fit your needs.. search the net

he has a couple of Chord Progression books and a Solo line book ...

User Info Menu

How about Jim Ferguson’s books

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I’ve bought several fundamental changes books over the past few months. I find them practical with a nice learning curve.

User Info Menu

Randy Vincent's "An Introduction to Jazz Guitar".

User Info Menu

Jane Miller's Introduction to Jazz Guitar.

User Info Menu

The free eBook available on this site.

User Info Menu

I also came to Jazz as a Blues-Rock, bar band-weekend warrior, with a bit of theoretical understanding. I'm not aware of any 3 specific books that you are asking about, but I've bought a lot of books and have found Mark Levines "Jazz Theory Book" has been indispensible, as has a good guitar chord dictionary.

I have all the Ted Greene books as well. Chord Chemistry, Modern Chord Progressions, Single Note Soloing 1&2. But tended to get overwhelmed by the shear volume of information. As things slowly fall into place, I refer back to them for confirmation or clarification.

Not so good with 'method' books so didn't get much from Mickey Baker. Bought it because RF is a guitar hero of mine. Also bought Jody Fisher's Chord Melody method, Lenny Breau's Fingerstyle Jazz and 'Teaching Your Guitar to Walk' but only absorbed a bit from each. Took further study to fully digest the material.

Combo of theory study, learning and listening to tunes and a good teacher has helped immensley.

Good luck and enjoy your journey.

User Info Menu

My favourite book (so far) on rhythm guitar, chord substitution, and so on is Rhythm Guitar by Roger Edison. It's probably not a comping manual but I've found nothing better at taking the absolute beginner through the hows and why's of jazz rhythm guitar. As with all these things one's own personal learning style is critical and the slow pace of this book just works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    The free eBook available on this site.
    Yep, this got me playing jazz, after years of playing blues rock. I tried 2 or 3 other books and many youtube videos before this and got nowhere.

I found it excellent. It presented the information required for me to make the transation from rock to jazz in the simplest and most effective way. The penny dropped when I realized I could convert the CAGED minor pentatonic shapes I knew so well into jazz scales, chords and arpeggios.

Its a very simple book, the main premise is to use autumn leaves as a vehicle to explore comping and soloing. Starting off with arpeggio based stuff then bringing in scales and enclosures. As a tune with a major 2 5 1 and a minor 251, which uses all the chords in its key, autumn leaves is good foundation tune. If you can play autumn leaves then you can pick up many other tunes as a result.

Plus the book has embedded solo examples and backing tracks for the exercises. And it has tab alongside score notation.

And it's free.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no jazz guitar master and I've moved on from this book, but it opened my mind and fingers like no other thing I found.
    Last edited by RickyHolden; 12-01-2023 at 08:00 PM.