The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 52

User Info Menu

I’m 37 - grew up playing guitar and was in a band in High school so I “WAS” a “competent” guitar player. On a high school band level. I haven’t picked up and practiced my guitar in 15 years and I’m getting started again. I can strum Chords and remember a major pentatonic scale. But otherwise have forgotten so much.

im determined to learn and get good at jazz guitar. I have a real book. Where should I start? Should I get in person lessons? ( I live in NYC) or is there somewhere else you’d recommend that I start? Please advise

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Charlie Parker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NYC
    I’m 37 - grew up playing guitar and was in a band in High school so I “WAS” a “competent” guitar player. On a high school band level. I haven’t picked up and practiced my guitar in 15 years and I’m getting started again. I can strum Chords and remember a major pentatonic scale. But otherwise have forgotten so much.

im determined to learn and get good at jazz guitar. I have a real book. Where should I start? Should I get in person lessons? ( I live in NYC) or is there somewhere else you’d recommend that I start? Please advise

Teacher is a good idea a lot of the time. I used to live in New York and have some friends up there still teaching. Send me a message and I can send you some names.

Please elaborate re: Charlie Parker!

User Info Menu

Yes, take lessons. Whatever frequency you want, I go every 2 weeks. Pick a few tunes and work them. It's good to work from the tune outward to see what you need. Try to harmonize the melodies to the tunes and work up an arrangement of the melody. Try to solo over the chords. Work on your time. Work with a backing track, drum track, or a metronome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NYC
    Please elaborate re: Charlie Parker!

Listen to his recordings.

Read and play his heads and solo transcriptions.

Listen to his recordings.

Read and play his heads and solo transcriptions.

Repeat.

User Info Menu

Charlie Parker

For instance.

I studied with a master named Barry Harris who taught all around the world.

Barry mentioned these 'two little cats' 12 or 13 years old in Rome around the turn of the century who asked Barry 'what should we learn now'? Barry said 'listen to Charlie Parker'.

The 'two little cats' are the Grasso Brothers, Pasquale and Luigi.

Check them out.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Charlie Parker

For instance.

I studied with a master named Barry Harris who taught all around the world.

Barry mentioned these 'two little cats' 12 or 13 years old in Rome around the turn of the century who asked Barry 'what should we learn now'? Barry said 'listen to Charlie Parker'.

The 'two little cats' are the Grasso Brothers, Pasquale and Luigi.

Check them out.
    I mean … to be fair, Pasquale also studied pretty extensively with Barry, no?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I mean … to be fair, Pasquale also studied pretty extensively with Barry, no?
    Indeed, as did Luigi.

They both (at 12 & 13) took Barry's message to heart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    The forum lessons are surprisingly good. You'd do pretty well for yourself if you followed only those and completed them.

User Info Menu

Oh baby. Yeah I forgot about this!

Alan … maybe a good person to lay down what someone might want to have together when they show up?

User Info Menu

In NYC? Definitely find a teacher. Shouldn't be hard.

Learn tunes, and use your ear as much as humanly possible.

Listen to jazz constantly. It has to be the music that plays in your head. Listen ravenously.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 10-10-2023 at 09:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Start by actually listening to a lot a jazz. Find a few favourite albums and players, become familiar with some standards so you could sing the melodies and even sing a few favourite solos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Charlie Parker
    Not sure I'd start there. Sort of like making Everest your first mountain.

Best advice I can offer is tell us where you live, somebody here can probably recommend a good teacher. It'll save you a lot of headaches compared to trying to figure this stuff out on your own. Although now you can study with practically anybody who's got an Internet connection…

User Info Menu

Hi !

Chords à la Freddie Green on few standards with a simple theme.
    Arpeggios on the first position then the fifth position (if you've got the chance to know where the notes are).
    Kind of walking bass to connect the chords between them.

Scales and shapes are generally traps like pentatonic scales, they are worst than tabs but it's just my opinion.

The few things you can start with.

Blues in a jazz style (be bop blues ? Do you call it like this ?)

Rhythm Changes

But first, Autumn Leaves is the basic standards, it's easy to learn, only to learn.
    Then All The Things You Are.

Avoid tunes that sound too modal it's also a trap.

Cycle of fifths and II V I

Everything you do, you've got to do it with a song even if it's a lonely song you will find a big world.
    Exercices are not music.

User Info Menu

I forgot to say... about scales, the only one you need is the chromatic one.
    It's the most important one in order to connect ideas.
    It sounds stupid but it's the truth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    The only scale you need is the chromatic scale.
    No foo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    I forgot to say... about scales, the only one you need is the chromatic one.
    It's the most important one in order to connect ideas.
    It sounds stupid but it's the truth.
    It is not the truth.

I’d go with Alan’s dominant scales if I were doing it again. Or Allan’s suggestion of the lessons on this site (which is what I actually did in like 2007 when I was in high school jazz band).

A teacher will help separate the good suggestions from the bad.

User Info Menu

Every journey begins with a single step. Below are some standard jazz grips and the tune almost universally recognized as a good starting point and for good reason. A teacher would be great but it is only one piece of the puzzle as you must put in a lot of time on your own. Like psychical exercise consistency will show results.

Learn songs. Learn the chords and melody and even the lyrics if there are any. Learn one song inside out and move on to another. Learn songs YOU like. Don't get bogged down in exercises and scales

If you don't know how already learn how to read music.

jazz chord voicing chart.pdf
    autumn leaves real book.pdf

User Info Menu

Your life will be ruined for the next 10 years or so, that's for sure.

User Info Menu

I would suggest learning the 5 major scale fingerings before you go to dominants. One of the fingerings is the dominant scale(I'm bending music theory here to simplify things, remember everyone this is a thread for a beginner, not a thread for jazz maniacs to discuss theory minutia). I'm hesitant to give more detail because it'll probably overwhelm instead of help.

A great idea is to pick a teacher or system you like and just run with it and be yourself.

A bad idea is to try and follow everyone's advice here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I would suggest learning the 5 major scale fingerings before you go to dominants. One of the fingerings is the dominant scale(I'm bending music theory here to simplify things, remember everyone this is a thread for a beginner, not a thread for jazz maniacs to discuss theory minutia).
    All of them contain the dominant scale.

I agree with your advice probably. Learning fingerings for the major scale first is a good idea, and then finding what you need inside of them.

But this a MASSIVE pet peeve I have. Loads of beginners get confused by internet stuff that calls this fingering this mode and that fingering that mode. Happy Birthday starts on the fifth, but it isn’t in the dominant scale or the Mixolydian or whatever.

User Info Menu

So here is the deal, if you are lucky, sooner or later you'll get to the a stage where every chord will become a familiar old friend to you such that a different set of white keys and black keys will appear on the fretboard as the chords change. Until then, you'll spin your wheels (a few years minimum but perhaps for decades).

But if you manage to get to know the instrument, you'll know what voicings and phrases go with those white keys, how to intermingle them with the black keys, how to move through chords, and be able to use (and hear) them to express higher musical ideas.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 10-10-2023 at 09:45 AM.