The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Classical guitarist here looking to get into Jazz guitar, wanting to switch things up and enjoy music again. I asked one of my old university professors who I, sadly, did not take from cause he was the Jazz Guitar teacher there, what's a good starting point and he sent me a couple of volumes of the Aebersold books. He's no longer teaching, but always wants to help so I'm thankful he gave me them for free. Just wondering what y'all's thoughts are on them!

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScottBoy95
    Classical guitarist here looking to get into Jazz guitar, wanting to switch things up and enjoy music again. I asked one of my old university professors who I, sadly, did not take from cause he was the Jazz Guitar teacher there, what's a good starting point and he sent me a couple of volumes of the Aebersold books. He's no longer teaching, but always wants to help so I'm thankful he gave me them for free. Just wondering what y'all's thoughts are on them!

Thanks
    They are great if you can separate the stereo channels.
    Better if you read what Jamey Aebersold writes.
    I learnt a lot of things with.
    About the guitar there is quite nothing or not so much but if you've got some background you can positively explote his books.

User Info Menu

They’re great books. There’s this basic foundation we all need, scales arpeggios and chords. You can get these from a bunch of sources, Aebersold being one of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScottBoy95

Thanks
    Theyre cool!

I play classical and jazz both and I might also suggest some guitar specific stuff because the approach to some things like scales and arpeggios can be very different between jazz and classical.

Stuff by Randy Vincent jumps to mind. The Advancing Guitarist is really weird but also really good for sort of orienting your mind to the improvising sort of deal.

User Info Menu

I agree with all the positive comments. I have about 10 of the books\CD. Half just feature songs and the other half are more about musical concepts; e.g. turnarounds.

30 years ago I used these around 10 hours a week. Today I only use them to practice up on a song that isn't that common in my weekly jam with the guys.