The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Posts 326 to 335 of 335

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i know guys who claim that they've never transcribed anything in their life. you then put a hank mobley record on and they sing along with the whole damn thing...
    Mine is The Quintessence. And I usually do sing the whole thing, which is why I usually listen to it alone.

One of the many reasons I’m obnoxious.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I've ever transcribed an entire solo, George Harrison probably played it.

Bits and pieces for me.

I've learned a lot of tunes from charts. But does that really mean I didn't use my ears?

What about the choices for voicings, voice leading, chord patterns/substitutions, countermelodies, soloing and rhythms for comping? None of that was in the chart.

User Info Menu

ATM I am listening to a podcast series by an Italian saxophonist living in Australia, Mirko Guerrini, called Jazz Transcription Clinic. In each of the ca. one hour long series Guerrini discusses with a fellow musicians their ways of and views of transcribing. I am only at Episode 4 but very interesting insights so far.

https://tinyurl.com/5fk7mtdr

User Info Menu

I like a story my guitar teacher told me a few years ago.

He and one of the local phenoms were sharing a house with some other musicians. My teacher went out just as the phenom sat down to transcribe some music. He returned a couple of hours later. The phenom had transcribed pages and pages of music. In pen.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I think that transcribing is very important as this way you truly know what's happening in the music and you can use this on your own music.

Over the last year or so I've been transcribing a lot of Ben Monder solo guitar stuff. Through transcribing I've come to know some of his 'secrets' and I can use them in my own playing.

Of course, Ben bring Ben, some of his voicings and progressions leave me utterly confused...but I'll get there

User Info Menu

I’m trying to transcribe some Chet Baker solos. Slow going.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I’m trying to transcribe some Chet Baker solos. Slow going.
    It’s slow until it’s not. Just like reading, 5 minutes a day and in a year you’ll be walking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    It’s slow until it’s not. Just like reading, 5 minutes a day and in a year you’ll be walking.
    good reminder

User Info Menu

It’s about the process, not the result