The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hello!

I have been working through Leavitt's A Modern Method for Guitar, and, while it is dry (and rather boring), I have grown to appreciate its gradual approach to teaching. For example, it is not until the 8th page that the upper octave is introduced, and only a handful of chords are given rather than all open-position chords.

Is there a book that has a similar approach for Jazz guitar? The few books I have immediately presentall open-position chords, more uncommon voicings, etc. such that I am overwhelmed as I am the type of person who wants to progress to the next page in the book only after learning all that is on the page.

Thanks muchly for any advice!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are some stylistic things in jazz that make it a little trickier in that way. More chromaticism in the vocabulary, more flat keys that aren’t suited to open position, extensions on chords, etc.

You can certainly learn toward those jazz tools from the get-go, but it takes a bit of getting there. Most books are probably going to assume you’ve got a handful of those basic tools down—some moveable pentatonic fingerings and the ability to modify them, the ability to play barre chords, some very basic note reading.

Honestly, if someone were to ask me about a phase one, basic, graded guitar method geared toward jazz guitar; I would probably point them to the Berklee Bill Leavitt stuff anyway.

Not jazz exactly but it’s certainly geared toward that universe of playing. Just use it until you get to some of those things you see early on in the jazz books and then switch it up.

User Info Menu

Jane Miller's Introduction To Jazz Guitar (Berklee Press/Hal Leonard, 2015) is a gentle start.

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Jane Miller's Introduction To Jazz Guitar (Berklee Press/Hal Leonard, 2015) is a gentle start.
    This book seems interesting, but I am having no luck finding a preview. Any chance (if it's not too much to ask), if you have a copy, you could take a picture of the table of contents, and possibly the first lesson or page.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bornin1992
    This book seems interesting, but I am having no luck finding a preview. Any chance (if it's not too much to ask), if you have a copy, you could take a picture of the table of contents, and possibly the first lesson or page.
    Unfortunately, I do not have a copy. I borrowed it from Auckland City Libraries whenever I needed it. Their one copy is currently unavailable, but I have ordered it. In the meantime, here is an enthusiastic review and demo, which you might find useful. Berklee also has a page about the book.

User Info Menu

Try this:

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Unfortunately, I do not have a copy. I borrowed it from Auckland City Libraries whenever I needed it. Their one copy is currently unavailable, but I have ordered it. In the meantime, here is an enthusiastic review and demo, which you might find useful. Berklee also has a page about the book.

Thanks for the link, though I'm not sure I would classify it as a review. =P

User Info Menu

"Hal Leonard Guitar Method - Jazz Guitar" sounds like what you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Hal-Leonard-G...s%2C132&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    "Hal Leonard Guitar Method - Jazz Guitar" sounds like what you're looking for.

Amazon.com
    Actually, I have this book, and it is a good example of the issue I am experiencing. Within the first 8 pages, I am presented with 82 different voicings, 24 of which occur before the first exercises. My learning style is to 'master' a concept before moving forward. For example, with Leavitt's, I am now at page 28 and have been for several days because I am struggling with understanding cut time. There is no way I am going to memorize 24 voicings such that I struggle to move past the introduction.

User Info Menu

The book you are looking for doesn’t exist, as you have very personal learning requirements that can only be met by a teacher with flexible teaching methods.

User Info Menu

Speaking from my experience, you need to change your learning style. When you get on stage you’re going to forget all those chords anyway and just grab what’s easiest.

User Info Menu

The first exercises show you exactly how to use those chords so you become familiar with them, and you don'6y need to memorize all of those chords before using any of them. For example, most rock songs don't play or use chords where the root note is on the B string. But I get it, not everyone learns the same way. I only pointed this book out because it was a fantastic find for me personally.