The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 110

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Even Joe Pass had a go at it once.

Wow. Nice. I have to admit that clicking on this link was kind of like looking at a car crash. "But I just had to look, having read the book". Pleasantly surprised. I think this is a good example of a well-done arrangement as opposed to a cheesy one. It's very musical, 100% Joe, so far removed from the original that it does not sound gimmicky, and yet still close enough that it is recognizable.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

John Scofield - Bill Frisell

User Info Menu

Even Count Basie did Pop Covers.

I understand the wish to work on Pop Material. People tend to really enjoy that stuff, and I think it can also be a really fun challenge.
    I agree though that it can be gimmicky, and I often think it's difficult to avoid sounding like that. I usually try to produce something that does not feel like a gag. I don't know if i succeed in that.

Paul

User Info Menu

I often wonder where the idea of ??playing pop songs by jazz musicians comes from.
    Is it because pop music has a bigger audience than jazz?

User Info Menu

The sixties made jazz outdated. While jazz cats played their interpretations of show tunes of the thirties, bands from Britain and producers in Detroit were making new music, which young people enjoyed immensely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    The sixties made jazz outdated. While jazz cats played their interpretations of show tunes of the thirties, bands from Britain and producers in Detroit were making new music, which young people enjoyed immensely.
    the guys in Detroit were all jazz cats…. James Jamerson hated pop and wanted to be a jazz bass player but he will always be remembered as the founding father of electric bass. Funny how it goes, eh?

User Info Menu

What about Miles Davis?
    I've read that Miles seems to have made pop stars a bit angry.

User Info Menu

Time after time; why oh why?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    the guys in Detroit were all jazz cats…. James Jamerson hated pop and wanted to be a jazz bass player but he will always be remembered as the founding father of electric bass. Funny how it goes, eh?
    The onscreen text at the end of That Thing You Do reveals that the drummer in the Oneders, Guy, and his girlfriend Faye are now married with four children in Bainbridge Island, Washington, where Guy teaches jazz composition at their own music conservatory. Pop may be fun but jazz is real music.

User Info Menu

The onscreen text at the end of That Thing You Do reveals that the drummer in the Oneders, Guy, and his girlfriend Faye are now married with four children in Bainbridge Island, Washington, where Guy teaches jazz composition at their own music conservatory. Pop may be fun but jazz is real music.
    what about classic music?
    I know some brilliant classical music professors who like good jazz and good pop.
    For them, classical music is real music.

User Info Menu

Time after time; why oh why?
    Because people love pop and Miles too.

User Info Menu

I prefer Miles with Scritti Politti.

User Info Menu

This is pop song with vocal...not instrumental.
    For my test too much electronic.
    Would it be less valuable without Miles?

There is more Miles in another one:

User Info Menu

and of course the classic

User Info Menu

This is probably not helpful, but it may be a good idea to not have a narrow idea of what jazz is.

Rich harmony: So What has two chords. Passion Dance has a solo on one chord.

Melody: One Note Samba

Rhythm: you name it. Jazz has everything.

Frisell's arrangements of pop tunes that I've heard (I haven't heard much) sound very individual and maybe not classically jazzy, if we could define what that means.

So, the first ingredient, I think, is imagination. You have to imagine what you want the tune to sound like.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    This is probably not helpful, but it may be a good idea to not have a narrow idea of what jazz is.
    I was a helpful post, and yes, I do think people get a bit funny about how they define jazz, but that's just MHO.

User Info Menu

I think that the style of the so-called 'smooth jazz' is a good example when jazz performers often reach for pop songs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    I was a helpful post, and yes, I do think people get a bit funny about how they define jazz, but that's just MHO.
    J4zz, they don't get funny, as you put it, it's because there are so many varieties of so-called jazz that a person would have trouble naming them all. All one can say is that it started vaguely in the US about a century ago. And even that's open to question because of myriad other influences whose roots are far more obscure, including the blues. It was definitely a black thing originally, which means Africa. But it's not confined to Africa either. The fact that the whites took it over and it drifted into Europe is neither here nor there. Some say it's defined by improvisation but that's not true either. All music has improvisational factors in it, including classical music.

When you say they 'get funny' about defining it, it's not because they're being difficult, it's because it's practically indefinable to any real degree. Like a virus, it has spread, mutated, and mutated again. Not that jazz is a virus, of course, it's an expressive art form.

Beware the person who says they can define it, they know not of what they speak.

Jazz - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

If you want an exercise, try this.

Play something over these chords:

C - G7 - C - C

Now substitute like this:

C/Am - F/G7 - C/F - C

Now like this:

C/A7 - Dm/G7 - C/Fm - C

Now like this:

CM7/A7b9 - Dm7/G13 - C6/F7 - C6

Now like this:

CM7/C#o - Dm7/Db7b5 - CM7/Bb7-B7 - CM7

This could go on and on... but the last version is the same as the first, it's just mutated, that's all. When does it stop being a few chords and start being 'jazz'?

User Info Menu

look at 3:40....Miles about the word 'jazz':

User Info Menu

I don't have a strong opinion WRT can you play pop songs in a 'jazz style'. But there is a related concept that does interest me and that is 'can you use selected jazz principles to make pop songs more interesting'. To me the answer to that latter question is yes (and I am old so kind of stuck in the classic rock era when it comes to 'pop music').

dave

User Info Menu

Hey, this is simple. Check out macuser2 on YouTube. He’s been at it since 2008. He’s got nearly 400 videos, each a lesson unto itself. Each modern jazz takes on popular music.

Rhythmic changes, chord substitution, superb playing on every one of his tunes.

User Info Menu

Most anything can be done. An example
    Last edited by Average Joe; 04-13-2022 at 03:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Some things should not be done.

User Info Menu

Wes is a pioneer in making pop to jazz: