The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I've been away for a bit but am a Truefire member (yes, I had my membership annually renewed without warning) and am thinking it would be good to use more of it. To do so, I wonder if anyone here fancies picking a relevant Truefire course that we can build a study group around for the summer. No need to set unreasonable targets, I know many of these groups start strong and fade but it a few of us found one worth starting, we could agree to chivy each other along for the next few months. I need to improve my ii-V-I lines, chordal accompaniments, many aspects of playing...well, frankly just about every part of my playing. Just think having a group trying something together might be fun and would make me exploit my Truefire membership more productively. Summer's coming, I want to make progress. Any thoughts welcome.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How about a Barry Greene study group?

not trying to throw shade on Truefire, just think it’s pretty darned good.

User Info Menu

I am currently working on Richie Zellon's Bebop course otherwise I'd love to join something like this. Next time maybe.

Yeah, lots of good options out there but for now I'm sticking with the Truefire to get my money's worth out of this this year if possible.

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of TrueFire lessons. My path lately is a bit away from jazz guitar. At truefire I'm doing bass guitar, blues guitar, jazz blues (Larry Carlton) and even country guitar and oh yeah mandolin.

Jazz blues a la Carlton sounds great.....not seen that one, will check it out. Maybe that's a candidate for a study group

User Info Menu

By the way, I think they have a 30% off the All Access price at the moment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kovacs
    I am currently working on Richie Zellon's Bebop course otherwise I'd love to join something like this. Next time maybe.
    Hey how’s that going for you? I’m working on that too. Got sidetracked with some other stuff but doing some catching up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chrisx1yz
    Hey how’s that going for you? I’m working on that too. Got sidetracked with some other stuff but doing some catching up
    I started a few weeks back, so a bit overwhelmed right now. But the quality of this course seems absolutely stunning for the money. After a week I upgraded to Platinum so I can get 4 lessons with Richie.

I am a classical guitarist so I read notes and know the fretboard quite well. I also have some experience with CAGED and rhythm comping. But I already feel that I am learning very useful stuff. I feel very motivated to keep going.
    Last edited by kovacs; 05-22-2021 at 08:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kovacs
    I started a few weeks back, so a bit overwhelmed right now. But the quality of this course seems absolutely stunning for the money. After a week I upgraded to Platinum so I can get 4 lessons with Richie.

I am a classical guitarist so I read notes and know the fretboard quite well. I also have some experience with CAGED and rhythm comping. But I already feel that I am learning very useful stuff. I feel very motivated to keep going.
    Nice that sounds awesome. I too decided to upgrade so I could get the videos and the lessons. That’s my main focus right now I’m actually trying to finish this one. All the best to you on that journey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by odel
    Yeah, lots of good options out there but for now I'm sticking with the Truefire to get my money's worth out of this this year if possible.
    335 Improv - Larry Carlton Guitar Lessons - TrueFire

User Info Menu

Are you working on this fep and if so how far into it are you?

Looks interesting....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Are you working on this fep and if so how far into it are you?

Looks interesting....
    I gave it a start a while back, then I joined the Garrison study group, still working on that book. I'm guessing I got about a quarter of the way through that course, but I would want to start over since it's been awhile.
    It's a pretty conceptual course, I don't see it as a course where you try to play the lesson note-for-note, rather you try to incorporate the concepts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I gave it a start a while back, then I joined the Garrison study group, still working on that book. I'm guessing I got about a quarter of the way through that course, but I would want to start over since it's been awhile.
    It's a pretty conceptual course, I don't see it as a course where you try to play the lesson note-for-note, rather you try to incorporate the concepts.
    I know it's just another shiny object but if you were to start of a study group on it I'd join in.

I like Larry's playing. Very melodic. So I'd be interested to learn more about his playing.

We really should be transcribing more but any study group with fep is a good study group.