The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 58 of 58
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Bob... I'm going to move my practice plan to a new thread... I don't want to get in the way and I'll push more of my BS. I have different views and approaches of how to go about playing etc... Will be easier... sorry to bail.
    I think it probably deserves it's own thread & I look forward to it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For warmup I usually take 30ish minutes and combine some exercises. Maybe 3-note 7th chords with some tricky arp or interval runs. Just toy with them - mix and mingle. With a micro goal to produce 2-4 bar that would be worth writing down or at least to practice until it grooves. Get some hm.. feelings going on with this instead just doing sports. Feelings and meanings being the target always.
    I was always mentally spent after exerctises when just doing athletics.

edit:note to self: should really buy that single button mp3 recorder at last fgs.
    Last edited by emanresu; 07-06-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobheff
    When it comes to picking, I mostly play with what's often called "hybrid picking", but again not slavishly.
    Not that it matters, but I just realised that I meant "economy picking" in my earlier reply quoted above.

While we all eagerly await Reg's technique thread, I've ordered a copy of "Jazz guitar technique" by Andrew Green. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm looking forward to spending some time really doubling down on my technique with Reg's exercises & this book.

User Info Menu

I'm moving over to my old... Techniques for Picking and Fingerings basic and on to the speed of Jazz.. thread.

Start posting tomorrow... thanks Reg

User Info Menu

I always enjoy threads like this because I find it fascinating and informative as to how others learn. And believe me, I've got a lot to learn. But it also makes me wonder: How did Charlie Christian, Wes Montgomery, Grant Green, Joe Pass, George Benson... our heroes in general, learn how to play Jazz? If I were able to sit down with any of the greats that's what I'd want to ask them: how did you learn how to play Jazz?

User Info Menu

Wes learned a lot of Charle Christian solos. Joe was was encouraged by his father to add in a lot of fills to the tunes he played. A lot of what we now consider jazz standards were pop tunes back in the day and jazz was popular music into the early 60s. You probably learned tunes and “jazzed them up”.
    Last edited by Bach5G; 09-06-2021 at 03:28 PM.

User Info Menu

George Benson has an autobiography, it's a great read.

He auditioned for Jack McDuff and impressed him. At the gig Benson didn't know any jazz songs and he bombed, they kept him in the band and Benson worked his butt off learning standards and stealing licks from the Charlie Parker with Strings album.

No magic, just get a gig and steal licks.

User Info Menu

Hello Allen, thank you for the book recommendation, I needed a new book to read, just read Miles Davis autobiography, that was great especially about his younger days when he was learning, he even took inspiration from the great boxer sugar Ray Robinson because of his dedication to his craft. He may well have been the genius we all credit him with but it didn't come without hard work. All the best.