The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 155

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Picking Etude No 1 :

And in all the wonderful glory of making mistakes here is Etude. I had a brain fart or something. Not sure exactly what happened. I just went with it.
    Etude:

User Info Menu

Good for you, I'm skipping that page. I've played it before and learned it well but it took some work. It's tricky, and I just don't like playing it with a pick, in the open position, on a 1 11/16" nut width guitar. I don't see much utility in it either, TBH. There are similar things to play on the classical guitar and I prefer them to this particular study. That's not much to complain about given the worthwhile lessons in the rest of the book.

Onward and upward!

User Info Menu

Leavitt introduces the key of G Major. It will be followed by F Major, A Minor and E Minor.

I will try to keep a pace of one key per week.

F Major

Key of A Minor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    Here are mine clips.
    Doing good!

User Info Menu

Well this one was fun. Cut time threw me for a bit. I kept wanting to hold the notes for their full 4/4/ time value. Talk about rewiring the circuits.

Two, two guitar 1:

Two, two guitar 2:

Two, two duet:

User Info Menu

Key of G Major :

Rhythm Accompaniment 1 :

Rhythm Accompaniment 2 :

Rhythm Accompaniment 3 :

User Info Menu

Pg 31 sixteenth notes exercise

User Info Menu

Page 32 - Duet in G, plus another attempt at St. Thomas with timing still off.

Leavitt Volume 1 - Jazz Song 1 - St Thomas - At 160 by Jazzstdnt | Free Listening on SoundCloud

User Info Menu

Here is my shot on Duet in G. I have started to realize that I am just playing the pieces and not really taking in what they are trying to teach. So I have started to slow down. Studying the piece a bit more plus slowing down on the bpm. I am trying to count along with the piece as well. Tapping foot is ok but sometimes I will get lost in the count. So I am mouthing the count. Trying to add another part of the body into the mix so I know where I am in the measure.

Duet in G : Guitar 1

Duet in G : Guitar 2

Duet in G

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Jazzstdnt;979645]Yeah, I struggle with time, and also struggle with playing legato. I redid page 32 Duet in G to address those shortcomings. I did a little bit better (maybe)./QUOTE]

Both sound good to me. I know what it is like to be on the "not liking what I play" side. You know where the mistakes are and they are just blaring sounds of ugliness when you listen to them.

Picking Etude No 2:

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed this piece. Something about it just really clicked with me.

Another Duet in G Guitar 1:

Another Duet in G Guitar 2:

Another Duet in G:

User Info Menu

Way behind.. here is my Excercise page 21 and duet No. 2:

MMFG Vol 1 - Etude No. 2 (duet) by Jhu | Free Listening on SoundCloud

User Info Menu

Hey all, I'm a bit new to the game. I've already dabbled with part 1 of this book around a year ago, but am really grateful for the opportunity to learn it in a more structured way. I'll be doing 2 of the defined weeks here per week (the current one, and one that I missed). Here are my recordings for week 1's lessons:

P. 4 Exercise 1 - 29.09.19, 16.02 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

P. 5 Exercise 2 - 29.09.19, 16.02 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

P. 5 Exercise 3 - 29.09.19, 16.03 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

P. 5 Exercise 4 - 29.09.19, 16.03 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

https://soundcloud.com/sam-phillips-...-duet-29-09-19

https://soundcloud.com/sam-phillips-...29-09-19-16-03

https://soundcloud.com/sam-phillips-...29-09-19-16-03

Sorry for the background noise, and some feedback on lower notes!

I have to say, I've been playing guitar over 15 years, and have some basic familiarity with the first lessons of this book, so I thought this week would be a walk in the park. Actually playing the lessons wasn't really difficult, but I did observe some things. This my first time recording myself, and it was a bit shocking. I attack notes way too hard (though the 'harshness' may be in part because I'm recording from a laptop beside my guitar, while the amp itself is a few meters away, so the sound of the pick is relatively loud compared to the amp output in the recording). Also, playing the duet parts in sync proved a bit of a challenge!

Will upload the most recent week (Key of F) now.

User Info Menu

As I just posted in week 1, I'm doing two 'weeks' per week, the current one and a catch up. As I mentioned there, this is my first time really recording my playing, and I notice some things. In particular, my attack is way too strong and the duet got out of sync at times. That'll give me something to work on in the coming weeks! I think I'll try to be more consistent about practicing with a metronome, and make multiple recordings throughout the week instead of just recording at the end of the week. I found playing with the recording going somehow was much more difficult than without.

Sorry for background noise and feedback on low notes. I also stupidly recorded the metronome in some of the tracks.

P. 35 Rhythm Accompaniment - 29.09.19, 16.04 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

P. 36 Duet In F - 29.09.19, 16.04 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

P. 37 The Triplet - 29.09.19, 16.04 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

P. 38 Waltz In F (solo) - 29.09.19, 16.04 by Sam Phillips | Free Listening on SoundCloud

User Info Menu

Key of F major in first position:

User Info Menu

Here are the two rhythm accompaniment exercises.

Exercise 1:

Exercise 2:

User Info Menu

Duet in F Guitar 1:

Duet in F Guitar 2:

Duet in F:

User Info Menu

The triplet exercise:

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I had a question about the Waltz in F (solo). If you look at the 2nd measure (1st actual measure?) it's a F(Dotted Half Note), A(Dotted Half Note), C Quarter note. So the F & A should ring out 3 beats for the full measure. However, the second beat gets another A Quarter note. Does this cancel out the A from ringing out on the 3rd beat? Why didn't they do a F(Dotted Half Note), A Quarter Note, & C Quarter Note?

User Info Menu

I have not looked at it that closely in a long time. The way it's written makes the melody line stand as a "voice" on its own (stems up), and the the lower notes as lower "voices" (stems down). As such, there is some independence in the way that duration/note value is marked. And to answer your question - the A note sounds for all 3 beats.The point about independent voices has additional implications too. It indicates that they can/should be played with some independence/individual distinction. It's all played by a solo guitar of course, but you could have two guitarists play it if you really wanted to.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 10-11-2019 at 12:14 PM.

User Info Menu

This piece is kicking my butt My fingers are getting tangled up. I have a brain disconnect when going from measure 13 to 14, this is not counting the anacrusis. The Bb-D-F in 13 to the Bb-C-E in 14 is murder for me. I can not get my fingers to work right. LOL. I keep moving the wrong fingers. Grrrrrr.