The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences on/with the Berklee Modern Guitar Method. I just ordered it the other day (about $18 for all 3) so I figured I should ask if anyone had any good ideas as far as the best way to work through it etc.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

where did you find all three volumes for $18?

User Info Menu

HI! I don't know if some people here realized about this: there's a new supplement to William Leavitt's method with exercises on Jazz standards: check it out!

Amazon.com: Modern Method for Guitar Songbook - Jazz Bk/CD (9780876390733): Larry Baione: Books

Here there is an excerpt of the book:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/look_i...3/image/307054
    Last edited by nomelite; 10-19-2009 at 01:48 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm working through vol. 1 and my reading is going better and better.
    I just work a page (or maybe two) per day and, as the book says, I don't try to do it perfect but also don't rush it.
    I repeat a lesson with the metronome on until I can do it acceptably at just 50bpm.
    Then I continue with the rest of my work for that day: some arpegios, scales, etc.
    It was hard at first and reading chords it's the worst but now I can recognize some and play it without thinking. It's very well planned, at least for me.

User Info Menu

I taught this method for 25 years at Berklee.
    My advice: skip the first 59 pages of Volume 1. Start on page 60, with position playing.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair
    Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences on/with the Berklee Modern Guitar Method. I just ordered it the other day (about $18 for all 3) so I figured I should ask if anyone had any good ideas as far as the best way to work through it etc.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Why skip it ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    Why skip it ?
    The first part of Volume 1 is open position. Learning the fingerings in the open position, and learning to read in the open position does not help you (much) with reading in the other positions. On page 60, Leavitt gives you the fingering for the scale pattern he calls Type 1, Key of C in second position. Once you are familiar with that scale pattern, you can move it up the neck and use it to play and read in other positions.

Steve

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip but don't forget that Leavitt also teaches techniques such as string skipping and progressive chord forms. Leaving all this info would confuse the student if he (she) starts on page 60 as suggested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nomelite
    Thanks for the tip but don't forget that Leavitt also teaches techniques such as string skipping and progressive chord forms. Leaving all this info would confuse the student if he (she) starts on page 60 as suggested.
    Nomelite,

Did you see where Steve said he was a guitar teacher at Berklee (home of Mr. Leavitt), teaching this method for 25 years? I would take his advice. Not to say you can't come back to stuff.

I'm just starting from the beginning so I make sure I have my reading down. I understand why you would start with page 60 but I might just work on reading the basic stuff in multiple positions.

User Info Menu

just received mine too, and also starting from the beginning... I must admit, even if reading notes on the 4 first frets is not really challenging, I struggled a bit with the chords at the beginning !

Got the DVD to get me through book 1, it's usefull, and splits the book in lessons. It's a good play along tool especially for all the duet pieces.

User Info Menu

well, just to say I finished the part 1 yesterday, and next lesson starts with position playing. It took me one month, but I think it was worth it, just for the basic reading, and also chords reading in standard notation.

No technical difficulties if you already play a little, but reading and playing was the challenge for me !

Now I'll start with the position playing, more interesting

User Info Menu

I've tried a few guitar methods. The Berklee set is alright, but I think your best bet is the Mel Bay reading books and "Play What You Hear" by Chris Stranding. That's a one-two knockout punch that develops your reading ability and aural skills.

User Info Menu

I'm at the beginning of volume 3, and this is what I have to say about the book so far: It rules. It seems a lot of people reduce it to nothing more than a good book for learning how to read notation, and the fact that it's entirely notation (and some chord charts) is just an obvious feature that separates it from most other books. However, the book is actually the most comprehensive guitar playing book I've ever seen, and it doesn't push any shortcuts. It simply demands hard work.

One thing that I really like about the book is how many patterns you learn and use as you're playing through it. At the time you start volume 3, you'll know twelve major scale fingering patterns (and eventually as many with melodic and harmonic minor) that can be used all over the neck. This means you can change to any key and you don't even have to move your left hand up or down the neck in order to play in that key. And the book goes even further when it comes to chord construction. This in conjunction with the fact that everything in the book is notation gives you an unparalleled knowledge of the fretboard. There's no CAGED method or anything like that; it's simply pure unmitigated memorization (which you'll find newer methods tend to shy away from). But it's not nearly as tedious as it sounds, since the author created interesting exercises and surprisingly good compositions.

The book leaves you feeling like a well-rounded guitarist with the tools and ear to allow you to pick up quickly on whatever type of music you intend to get into.

User Info Menu

I work on learning to read and write with the Leavitt Books (1-3) and the Real book. I am still within the first 10 excercises of Book 1, but MAN is this great. For the first time in my life I have the impression that I read music, I recognize chords, at least some of them and most of all, I can't stop reading, it's like reading a book, whenever in a magazine I find notation, I start reading it and - the most important - I feel darn good reading notes! Well, to put it in a nutshell, Leavitt's method works. You really learn reading and the book is maybe not the most exciting lecture, but it really teaches you the essence of guitar playing. So do not skip any pages, start from page one, it's an adventurous journey.

User Info Menu

the second part with position playing is ok so far (done C and F scales in position II), but... I notice I don't have real difficulties playing the duets, the 8-notes studies, arpeggios, reading studies and the chords diagrams exercises, but I really struggle with the chords etudes.

How do you approach these etudes ? I don't think I'm able yet to just "read and play" for these, I'll have to study them til I know them, but then I'm not reading anymore...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ftz
    the second part with position playing is ok so far (done C and F scales in position II), but... I notice I don't have real difficulties playing the duets, the 8-notes studies, arpeggios, reading studies and the chords diagrams exercises, but I really struggle with the chords etudes.

How do you approach these etudes ? I don't think I'm able yet to just "read and play" for these, I'll have to study them til I know them, but then I'm not reading anymore...
    The chord etudes are not meant to be sight-read, they are meant to be worked out.

Generally, I suggest reading the notated chords from the bottom up, and analyzing each chord as you go. You can expect, in most cases, the lower chord tones to be on the bottom -- maybe third and seventh, or maybe the fifth -- and the tensions (9,11,13) on top. I've posted analysis of some of these chord etudes on the lessons page on my site, along with some tips on how to apply the voicings to comping and chord-melody playing.

It's not very common for notated voicing to show up on guitar parts in a combo or big band, unless the arranger knows something about the guitar voicings. Often you'll just see a lead note and a chord sybmol and you're expected to come up with a voicing. But if you do see notated voicings, in a sight-reading situation, it's often best to read the voicing from the top down, because the lead note is the most important, and if you can grab one or two supporting notes, that might suffice.

Steve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ftz

The chord etudes are generally more difficult than the other exercises. Don't worry about being able to sight-read them. In fact, I think unless it's specifically a sight-reading exercise, you shouldn't fret over how quickly you're able to translate the notation to your guitar. Take your time with each of the exercises, and move on when you can play through it decent enough and then go back and review it regularly.

User Info Menu

first of all, happy new year to all of you

and thanks SteveCarter and Bifodus for the replies, I'll follow your advices, I'm already a lot more confortable with the first chord etude by doing this chord analysis.

Thanks again !

User Info Menu

Does anybody knows how long should it takes to finish vol 1 ? 2 month 3 month or more ?
    wanted to put a plan and some goals finishing the book.
    Thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch_H
    Does anybody knows how long should it takes to finish vol 1 ? 2 month 3 month or more ?
    Thank you.
    Well that depends on a lot of things; your experience of guitar playing and sight reading, how much time you are able to spend, your personality i e slow or fast learner and so on. Hard to answer that question...it took ftz one month to finish part one...

Don't bother about a plan, grab your axe, open the book and start playing, work your way through it page by page, review if you feel the need to but don't get stuck until perfection...

/Jokron

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch_H
    Thank you.
    At the Atlanta Institute of Music we used it as our reading text for the first two levels of class. It took us roughly 5 months or so to get through book one. Now, it wouldn't be hard to get through it quite a bit faster, but there is no harm in taking your time with it. I graduated three years ago and I am currently going back through book 1 again just to brush up on everything.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCarter
    I taught this method for 25 years at Berklee.
    My advice: skip the first 59 pages of Volume 1. Start on page 60, with position playing.

Steve
    I'm studying with Bob Ferry in New Jersey. He is a Berklee grad. I wonder if you know him?