The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

I'm working my way through book 1 right now. I've been playing the duets using a looper -- I like the added pressure of trying to get a clean 'take' to play over

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCarter
    The chord etudes are not meant to be sight-read, they are meant to be worked out.
    Yes. And I suggest that OP gets Reading Studies Vol. 1 + 2 as well as Melodic Rhythms. 3 more books, I know, but they go hand-in-hand with Leavitt's method. They give you the complete picture.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch_H
    Does anybody knows how long should it takes to finish vol 1 ? 2 month 3 month or more ?
    wanted to put a plan and some goals finishing the book.
    Thank you.
    From my experience there's really no way to predict how long it will take. Some things may really trip you up while other things will be cake. I recommend setting aside a certain amount of time every day (even half an hour is great) and going as slow as you need to. Only move up when you're ready.

I'm not really sure how long it took me to get through Vol. 1, but I know that I'm about halfway through Vol. 3 and I've been going at the full book for probably three years now. The more material that's behind you the more you'll have to review, to the point where you may go weeks before you move onto a new page.

User Info Menu

Try 4 pages per week if you're serious.

Regarding part 1 of volume one, many other beginning methods (both classical and plectrum) spend early lessons in open position. So, "no harm, no foul."

On the other hand, the moveable positions are of paramount importance for electric players. While classical works (from simple studies to masterpieces) use open position extensively, that is not the typical case with jazz guitar.

Regardless, 4 pages per week if you can handle it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by loydb
    I'm working my way through book 1 right now. I've been playing the duets using a looper -- I like the added pressure of trying to get a clean 'take' to play over
    That's a good thing...

/Jokron

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    Try 4 pages per week if you're serious.

Regarding part 1 of volume one, many other beginning methods (both classical and plectrum) spend early lessons in open position. So, "no harm, no foul."

On the other hand, the moveable positions are of paramount importance for electric players. While classical works (from simple studies to masterpieces) use open position extensively, that is not the typical case with jazz guitar.

Regardless, 4 pages per week if you can handle it.
    I use the Frederick M. Noads Solo Guitar Playing also to get the right hand fingers going...

/Jokron