The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 68

User Info Menu

Hi all, as the thread title states. I am looking to buy my first jazz guitar. Ive been playing and gigging for a long time, pretty much Texas swing, old country, and some 40s music. Im NOT a pro player, I cant read, and 80% self taught learning as I go along. Dad was a telecaster player so I followed his footsteps. Teles for 30 plus yrs. is all ive used. Im 67 yrs old and ive never really felt the need to buy a true jazz guitar. A few nites ago I went to see a friend of mine play. He called me on stage to sit in for a couple of songs. I used his Gibson ES 175 and I really enjoyed playing it and enjoyed myself as well. So here I am on the hunt for my first jazz guitar. At my age I don't feel the need to buy a high end guitar. Something middle of the road or a good beginners jazz guitar that might get me the joy of the 175. I know I haven't much time left so spending 2k on up really doesn't make much sense. Thank you all so much for your time and input!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

theres plenty of good cheap jazz guitars
    out there .....

I like the Ibanez AF models ....but hey
    you'll get lots of suggestions
    where you located ? it would be best to find
    a good outlet and spend a bit of time trying
    a few guitars out .....
    budget for a proper setup with fat strings

User Info Menu

Hi and welcome.Sweetwater is sealing Epiphone 175 premiums for 700.00.Never played one but it might be close to the Gibson.I am sure you will get some much wiser and more experienced responses.

User Info Menu

I am thinking of selling my fully pro (I am a 50-year veteran of the jazz wars) Phillips Nouveau 16, similar to a 175 but with an ebony fingerboard and a single mini-humbucker. Price will be $600, in perfect condition, with case. I will put it in the For Sale section soon, but send me a personal message if interested.

User Info Menu

I think there are some very decent Eastman models that one could consider as well.

Thanks for your reply pingu! I live in a very small town pop 2,000 or so in Ariz. No guitar stores to speak of around here. Phx is about 3 hrs. out. I know I shouldn't, but I was thinking mail order? Again, not the right to do, but take the chance.

Can anyone tell me about a Washburn J600?

User Info Menu

Not sure exactly where in AZ you are, but if you are at all close to Wickenburg, I have an Ibanez AFJ95 that you can play, and possibly talk me out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Artpulis
    Not sure exactly where in AZ you are, but if you are at all close to Wickenburg, I have an Ibanez AFJ95 that you can play, and possibly talk me out of.
    Im in Ajo! That may work. Thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cnote
    Thanks for your reply pingu! I live in a very small town pop 2,000 or so in Ariz. No guitar stores to speak of around here. Phx is about 3 hrs. out. I know I shouldn't, but I was thinking mail order? Again, not the right to do, but take the chance.
    Mail order is OK provided that the seller has a no-questions-asked return policy. I bought my Ibanez that way, and am very happy with it.

I would suggest, however, that you take that 3hr trip to Phoenix and spend a day rummaging around the music stores. You might discover that you really like something other than the 175. You might prefer the Epi Joe Pass or a Godin. I can think of worse ways to spend a day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe

I would suggest, however, that you take that 3hr trip to Phoenix and spend a day rummaging around the music stores. You might discover that you really like something other than the 175. You might prefer the Epi Joe Pass or a Godin.
    Or a Tele

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Or a Tele
    Let's not open that can of worms. :P

User Info Menu

That ronjazz offer looks great.Hey CNOTE this place only gets better!The Washburn never gets to much mention as far as i know.that might a red flag.A few years ago i was in a music store and saw a hollow body WB but another model and i was so dissappointed with it that i never looked at another.Id spend some time with that before buying.

I have enough teles, thanks for your suggestion anyway BigDaddy!

User Info Menu

You might want to look at what Godin has to offer. Also, not totally comparable to Godin, but Peerless also makes some nice guitars for that amount of money. Or buy the Furch that someone is offering in the classifieds here. That looks like it would be a great guitar for the money.

Yes! I will look into ronjazz! A tip to Phx is in order, once the temp comes down a few degrees! Its dang hot outside!

Thanks for the goodin tip 200, didn't know they even made a jazz guitar!

User Info Menu

I'd consider the ronjazz offer. He has a great rep here as well so you know you're getting a fair deal.

User Info Menu

There are two guitars that I feel like I should never have sold; one was a 1951 Martin D18 (the year I was born) and the other was an Eastman 805CE. Now I own several higher end archtops, but that Eastman was a very nice guitar, considering the cost. I'd take a serious look at Eastman - there are quite a few used ones around, and I'd wager you could find a nice one that wouldn't break the bank.

Whichever guitar you end up with, I hope you have a lot of fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by mercosound
    There are two guitars that I feel like I should never have sold; one was a 1951 Martin D18 (the year I was born) and the other was an Eastman 805CE. Now I own several higher end archtops, but that Eastman was a very nice guitar, considering the cost. I'd take a serious look at Eastman - there are quite a few used ones around, and I'd wager you could find a nice one that wouldn't break the bank.

Whichever guitar you end up with, I hope you have a lot of fun with it!
    Thank you for the tip mercosound! I will look them up. You guys fantastic!

User Info Menu

After owning several high end Gibsons (335, L4, L5, SGs), all I play now are my Epiphone Sheraton lls. Put George Benson flat wound 12s on one of the new "Pro" models and it's a great jazz guitar. Inexpensive, and far better made than the Gibsons (go figure!).

User Info Menu

Telecaster is an excellent jazz guitar.

I string one with .13 flatwounds (TI's.)

User Info Menu

Tele, PRS 22, Ibanez RG, etc... sure they all can be Jazz guitars. Great fun too. But I understand wanting a jazz box to play jazz. After all, it's a perfectly acceptable excuse for getting a new guitar .

Get yourself a full hollow-body jazz box. If for no other reason than they are beautiful and not just another electric guitar. RonJazz's offer is not to be missed. Otherwise you can't go wrong with the Ibanez AF/AFJ, the Eastman 800 series, Peerless Imperial, Epiphone 175, etc. All these guitars are made in Asia, have good build quality, and can be had for reasonable prices.

Heck, there is a thread over in the gear sub-forum talking about the new Epiphone Masterbuilt De Luxe Classic and its siblings. They sure are head turners. Don't know about the sound or playability, but excellent marketing! If I was in the market for a sub- $1000 guitar, I would sure want to at least check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Telecaster is an excellent jazz guitar.

I string one with .13 flatwounds (TI's.)
    Ill give this a try, but with 12 gauge strings. I did try an Eastman AR371CE and liked it a lot. What do you guys think of this model?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cnote
    Ill give this a try, but with 12 gauge strings. I did try an Eastman AR371CE and liked it a lot. What do you guys think of this model?
    I like this guitar.

TI gauges string tension is less than standard. .13's feel like less than they do for D'addarios...