The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27
    As matt says , practice should include a maximum of material from standards , like yesterday i found that all the things you are is an excelent modulation exercise , if you restrain yourself in one position and improvise using scale only, since the tune is a bit challenging to aproach with only arpegios one should be comfortable with all the scales positions in the tune with a minimum of mouvement .

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Practice is a funny one.

I have to keep reminding myself that practice is a means not a goal in itself.

For me it helps if the goals are outside - so a gig with a project with unfamiliar tunes, an exam or audition or a get together with others to play some pre-agreed tunes. Or learn some exercises or tunes for a lesson.

I find YouTube is quite useful - if I can record something in a fit state to put out on YouTube I know that it is done.

Listening to recordings of yourself can help generate ideas of what to practice, as can going to a teacher...

I think it's really important to be pragmatic about practice or you can end up chasing your own tail IMO