The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

There was a recent thread re a week no guitar. I have crashed my bike in a training incident and broken my collar bone, could be 6 weeks no guitar. 6 weeks????????????

What are peoples suggestions?

I have a mini ipad so was thinking I can work on the keyboard in garage band.

Could use it to write some tunes.
    Maybe work on the Bill Evans minor ii v i lesson from jazz advice (did Jordan Klemons write this it has a triad approach) A Lesson With Pianist Bill Evans: Mastering Minor ii V Progressions | jazzadvice.com
    Some ear training

Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

there's no way around it, your technique will get wonky. if it was me, I'd sing a lot, listen a lot, transcribe a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    There was a recent thread re a week no guitar. I have crashed my bike in a training incident and broken my collar bone, could be 6 weeks no guitar. 6 weeks????????????

What are peoples suggestions?

I have a mini ipad so was thinking I can work on the keyboard in garage band.

Could use it to write some tunes.
    Maybe work on the Bill Evans minor ii v i lesson from jazz advice (did Jordan Klemons write this it has a triad approach) A Lesson With Pianist Bill Evans: Mastering Minor ii V Progressions | jazzadvice.com
    Some ear training

Cheers

About this time last year I broke my shoulder and detached my bicep and also a tendon. My doctor said exactly the same thing "it will take 6 weeks before you can think of playing".

He was exactly spot on. It was too painful to even get my arm over a thin guitar let alone a jazz box.
    However on the 6th week I started to get my arm over a thin line semi. It was painful but I kept at it.....fanatically, day and night.
    In about 2 weeks after starting playing I was almost pain free when playing but still had to be careful.
    One year later and my doctor can't believe the amount of movement I have back and I put that down to all the playing.
    My wasted bicep muscle has also returned and is bigger than my left arm.

I think you will be fine if you don't play for 6 weeks. It will all come back in a short time after you begin playing again.
    I must admit I was a bad boy and didn't really adhere to all the physio I was given (too painful) but the guitar playing seems to have done the trick.
    Good luck!

User Info Menu

Was the fracture on your fretting or picking side? If it's the former, it will be a while all right.

A friend of mine pull a drill bit into his right thumb. That took that hand out of action for over a month. But he was able to practice legato technique and improved his shredding skills.

User Info Menu

Study theory, ear training, sight singing, you'll be fine. Make use of the time. Been there, done that.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear this, ggomez......

Study and listen!

User Info Menu

You have my sympathies. I would hate to receive such news. Great to hear from Philco, who had an ugly injury and is now fit as a fiddle. You will survive. Focus on what you can do, not on what you can't. (I know, that's easy for me to say, but if next year I'm the guy who has to take six weeks off, it's what you'll be telling me! ;o)

Sing. Learn tunes that way. Ear training. Remember, YOU are the musician.

User Info Menu

I've got a wrist issue and will lay off for a while. I addition to all of the above do what Roy Nichols said he did after he couldn't physically play any more. He played in his head.

I've been playing in my head. Working on memorizing tunes, etc.

I've got to be careful that I don't get too over enthusiastic when I start in again. I'll do a serious warm up program.

User Info Menu

That only stops which tool you choose to make and study music with, it's all about music. So guitar in your head, pencil and paper to write lines and compose, do ear training, do serious listening. You can still keep yourself immersed in music that's what matters.

User Info Menu

Several years ago I was down for a couple of weeks. I played around with a cheap keyboard I owned ($45.00 U.S. Dollars) and was able to play around with different scales and chords. It was kind of fun hearing a mode of harmonic minor and "improvising" on it.

User Info Menu

In a lifetime of being a musician, 6 weeks is nothing more than time to help refine your focus.

User Info Menu

I hope you have a speedy recovery. In the meantime, sing (scales, Chord tones, tunes, whatever) and listen to a lot of music. That's good practice. I'm a firm believer that one should be proficient with the ears before touching a musical instrument. You learn your instrument and the music faster that way.
    Last edited by smokinguit; 01-12-2016 at 01:49 AM.

User Info Menu

no point playing or practicing if you don't know the music. listen sing transcribe follow form. its about the music go to the music

User Info Menu

Tanks guys am fired up and look forward to doing. Philco your injury sounds horrific, makes me feel not so bad bones heal, I know from footy soft tissue injuries are the worst. Great you are back playing.

User Info Menu

Read his story:

Jimmy Amadie

User Info Menu

I read this about Howard Roberts. He said one way that he practiced was to place his guitar across the room and sit and look at it. He would play chords/lines looking at the fretboard.
    Visualization can be powerful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dookychase
    Visualization can be powerful.
    Just thought that was worth quoting and repeating.

User Info Menu

Try five years!

I'm only getting back to serious practice after a long long time.

I was unlucky to break my fretting hand and pinky finger playing rugby.

I got kinda depressed about not being able to play for so long, and the limited movement even once healed was demotivating.

To this day, my pinky still has limited movement, and lots of scar tissue on the joint.

Definitely makes playing more challenging, but it's worth putting the time in.

If I can pick things up five years, six weeks ain't nothing

User Info Menu

Oh man well done on never giving up.

some nice HTFU pills for me.

i learnt the head of Moanin' on the Gararge Band piano today, great fun plus also helping my son to learn jazz drumming so was pretty productive.

User Info Menu

And read the Jimmy Amardie storey as well as listened to his smoking trio.

thanks guys this is like a tailored therapy session.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford J17
    Read his story:

Jimmy Amadie
    Wow. Thanks for posting. Got his book a couple of years ago on improv. It really helped my hearing, in terms of melody, far beyond the direct applications from the book. Great to hear his story.

User Info Menu

Learn the lyrics and melody to some jazz standards. Later, learn the bass line.

Try and write it down if you are working on solfege. If not - work on solfege. Practice putting the right scale numbers or solfege syllables to melodies.

Bellson- available on kindle. Tap out or scat the rhythms.

After these two, transcribing straight to paper ought to be easier.

You could also work on solos.

Bruce Arnolds ear training things are cool and you can put them on your iPod and work on your relative pitch training, which will help with the solfege.

Loads more ideas!