The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scole
    I have to admit that I'm trying to adhere to this in my jazz guitar journey (though no one has ever communicated this to me).
    yeah, don't overdo it but...

Django
    Charlie Christian
    Barney Kessell
    Wes
    Jim Hall
    Kenny Burrell
    Goerge Benson
    Pat Martino
    - and of course the fusion players.

all bent/bend notes.

With the post-bop guys it's frequently a half-step bend or even less. it's a style/attitude thing, sounds great, and is totally appropriate.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Agreed. All guitarists bend notes otherwise we might rather be pianists

I guess I was trying to convey resisting bending notes in lieu of exploring the phrasing more in depth. Kinda of like a comedian that avoids profanity for a cheap laugh.

User Info Menu

listen to wayne shorter

Jazz shouldn't have any mandates. Jazz is not supposed to be something that's required to sound like jazz. For me, the word 'jazz' means, 'I dare you.'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    listen to wayne shorter

Jazz shouldn't have any mandates. Jazz is not supposed to be something that's required to sound like jazz. For me, the word 'jazz' means, 'I dare you.'
    https://www.facebook.com/BrianBlade/...18489/?theater

O_O
    I think Blade took that dare seriously!

User Info Menu

take this video seriously

User Info Menu

Listen to and try to imitate the players you like. Study what interests you. Sure, seek advice from Musicians you admire and follow it (you will overlook things) but Music should be about love, not obligation :-)

User Info Menu

Hey Metal Shredder, where are you??? We didn't scare you off did we?

Thanks for all the advice guys! Been away for a week, hence the late reply. Lots of stuff to listen to/get on with. I'm off now to do some woodshedding. Much appreciated!