The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Targuit - I won't quote your question because it's so long aged very off topic. But you know, I done of a good book. There are a lot of them. I learned through experience. Being a client with great tracking, mixing and mastering engineers and being a pest. Online forums helped a lot too. Doing it helped the most.

I dint care where I Pam for tracking. Wherever it's mist comfortable to listen with the phones or monitors. Comfort is the key. Mixing is the next.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rcpj
    Chromaticism very important - but tends to often get used as a crutch by lots of guitarists to cover up not being able to outline changes well enough, resulting in meandering..the easy visual lay out of playing chromatically on the instrument obviously big factor for this..

Chromaticism best used to color up/ornament a chord tone/diatonic approach, generally IMO..
    This is exactly my sentiment. A long time ago I was very chromatic. It was hip and I could cover a lot of inability to really nail the changes. So now I'm not concerned with it either way. I can play chromatic and out. But I prefer outlining the changes well. If I do that chromatically, cool. If I temporarily ignore the changes altogether, cool. If I play thirds and 7ths the whole time, cool. I don't care to even think about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rcpj
    Chromaticism very important - but tends to often get used as a crutch by lots of guitarists to cover up not being able to outline changes well enough, resulting in meandering..the easy visual lay out of playing chromatically on the instrument obviously big factor for this..

Chromaticism best used to color up/ornament a chord tone/diatonic approach, generally IMO..

Agree I look at chromaticism two ways. One the adding friction on a resolving V7 chord to setup a resolution. Then the other is using chromaticism to lead to a chord tones or to point to a melody note.

User Info Menu

I tend to hear in terms of chord tones, but then I add chromatic notes to fill the gaps between them, like passing notes. I think I largely formulated this from listening to Charlie Parker, so it's nothing new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I tend to hear in terms of chord tones, but then I add chromatic notes to fill the gaps between them, like passing notes. I think I largely formulated this from listening to Charlie Parker, so it's nothing new.
    Yeah. I don't even think of those ornamental tones, like neighbors, as being so much chromatic. They're so tied to the chord tone.