The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

You know you're working on the good early stuff when it has tuba handling the bass parts.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    You know you're working on the good early stuff when it has tuba handling the bass parts.
    Or bass sax
    Or no bass at all and just piano

User Info Menu

Should we mention jug bands?

User Info Menu

Our bass player actually plays tuba..... Or played in college. Not sure if I should encourage him.

User Info Menu

Yeah, and it has banjo handling the guitar parts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Crikey, you're lucky you made it out of there alive..... A headless Klein would probably not be my first choice of period axe ;-)

Acoustic is the only way to get the right rhythm sound. Electric always sounds a bit wrong for this type of stuff. You can use a standard electro to start off with.

Dark Eyes is weirdly difficult. It always gives me trouble for some reason.

Thanks for that...
    I agree, acoustic is the best. I use my Guild laminate archtop with p90 for everything jazz these days, simply because it's so comfortable to play, but I don't get the exactly right sound either. Well, looking at this Klein, I ain't doing too bad , hahaha

Dark Eyes is fun to play rhythm on, but soloing is pain! Dunno why either, but I hate playing solos on this one. I can get away with it though, because incidentally it's the only tune from the list that I can sing well, and authentic! Helps to be Russian sometimes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I agree, acoustic is the best. I use my Guild laminate archtop with p90 for everything jazz these days, simply because it's so comfortable to play, but I don't get the exactly right sound either. Well, looking at this Klein, I ain't doing too bad , hahaha

Dark Eyes is fun to play rhythm on, but soloing is pain! Dunno why either, but I hate playing solos on this one. I can get away with it though, because incidentally it's the only tune from the list that I can sing well, and authentic! Helps to be Russian sometimes!
    Had a chance to try Guild A-150 today. Liked that guitar a lot. Great workmanship - nice retro look. I only played unamplified but I think it it has right vibe for the job - acoustic sound was quite decent too - you could easily practice w/o amp. Small neck - short scale - all pluses. And friendly price. Need to sell some pedals and grab it.