The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I'm still struggling through MB book 1 and have a couple of questions about lesson 15. First, I assume the Em7 in bar 3 is chord shape 4 not 2? Second The first exercise seems to be all over the fretboard, from pos 2 & 1 in the first 2 bars, to position 7 for the Em7/Em6 then to pos 12 for the Am7 in bar 5. Most of MB's previous lessons have used chords close to each other, or used a chromatic bass pattern so this lesson seems odd to me. Unless I've misinterpreted or misread the chords.

Any help would be appreciated!

Rob

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, the Em7 is chord 4.

It's an exercise, so you are also learning about shifting these chords around the fretboard. Bars 3 and 4 at the 12th fret actually move closely to bars 5 and 6 at the 12th and 10th frets.

OK that clears that up. Thanks Rob. I never really know with MB, the introductions to the exercises are very succinct.

Incidentally I was substituting what MB would call Eb13b9 for the D13 in bar 5; that is chord shape 9 anchored on fret 11. I don't know why but it seems to work.

Actually I'm just being dumb. The Em7 and Em6 as written, can only be played at the 12th fret, so it makes sense to play the first 4 chords at the 14th & 12th frets, then the progression stays up around frets 10 - 14.

Sorry for the confusion, carry on

User Info Menu

w3stie,

Just a tip for ya having been there not to long ago. Learn lesson 15 well. You will be seeing it again down the road.
    If you have not caught it yet, MB repeats stuff as the lessons progress. Every now and then he'll throw in something to throw you off a bit. Otherwise, what you learn in one lesson will most likely be used again and expanded on in later lessons.

cheers.

Thanks Al. I'm finding I start the 1st and last exercises at position 14. That's the Bm7 with root on the 5th string (shape 18). Is that what you do? I can't see any other way of doing that progression.

cheers

User Info Menu

Yes sir that is correct, if you are talking about lesson 15. Like I said, learn the lesson till it's a second thought. When you see it later the progression will be the same but easier to play because you'll be in the key of G Maj. The different positioning will make the chords easier to negotiate and sound a little better to the ear. Also learn lesson 14 really well for the same reasons.

Have fun.

By the way, when you get to lesson 43 let me know. I'll still most likely be stuck there. ;-P

Thanks again Al. Good to know others are on the same road, if somewhat advanced (I had a peek at 43 ).

Another correction for lesson 15. I believe the chord Am7 in bar 4 of exercise 2 should be Em7? It doesn't make much sense as Am7.

Someone else may want to weigh in here.

User Info Menu

Sorry, it makes perfect sense as Am7. MB very often treats a D7 (or 9, or 13) by adding a ii chord before it, which would be Am7.

There is a mistake in bar 2 of that line. The C13#5b9 should be C7#5b9.

Sorry Rob, I was referring to the second exercise;
    |Bm7 Bm6|Bm7 Bm6|Em7 A13|Am7 A13| ...

That Am7 should be Em7 shouldn't it?

User Info Menu

Ah, I see. I'd agree with you 100% if I didn't wonder why he just didn't write a repeat sign, as in bar 2 of that line and elsewhere. But I'm not too fussed, as he is just giving examples of how to decorate an A7 chord. Em7 - A13 is just a ii-V cadence. Going from A13 to Am7 to A13 could also just be a way of momentarily decorating the A7. So, what is written could be viewed as being entirely correct. Can you see that?

Yes you're probably right, he would have just left in the repeat if that's what he meant. Still it sounded odd to me and I wasn't sure whether it was intentional, what with the other errors here and there. I'm enjoying working these exercises and find I'm starting to pick things up - like how the first and second exercise is basically a cycle of fifths starting in that case on a Bm7 and ending, if you followed on from the G13b5b9 to the Cmaj7.

As Al stated above, there are some challenging changes in Lesson 14 and 15, and I'm slogging through just trying to get them solidly under my fingers, so it's good that part of the brain is firing off occasionally and noticing other things about the chord progressions.

User Info Menu

Yes, the first 8 bars could be seen as the bridge section of Rhythm Changes in the key of C.

User Info Menu

Hi w3stie
    Although happy to accept Rob's assertion that Am7 A13 may work and sound fine, and no disrespect at all to that fine gentleman, that looks all day like an error to me - it should have been a repeat sign to fit in with the rest of the line.

Glad to hear you're feeling those chords - Lesson 15 is about bridges which as Mr wikipedia says --- In music, especially western popular music, a bridge is a contrasting section that prepares for the return of the original material section -----
    What you may want to do (I didn't do this and should have) is find a song with the bridges shown (E7 A7 D7 G7 in your example) and chug through the song replacing the original chords with MB's.

Bye for now

User Info Menu

No disrespect taken, John :-) Notice I said "could", not "should".

User Info Menu

I knew you were a gentleman.

User Info Menu

Takes one to know one...

User Info Menu

Lesson 15 is this week's punishment for me, seems like this one raises the bar a bit from the last 14.
    Trying to remind myself that the journey is the destination (LOL?)

Thanks for the input JPP55. I figure there are a few guys here and in the future working through the MB books, so it helps if others put in their own experience of navigating MB.