The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

If you could go back and learn jazz/jazz guitar again what would you do differently? What would you spend more time on. Listening, Jamming, Practicing a certain thing, Lessons etc,

I realize everyone will have different answers based on their unique situation but maybe we can find some common things to watch out for.

For me it would be spending more time listening and transcribing in the beginning. Learning basic arps way more in depth. Also I find now it's better to play something simple that grooves vs making things complicated and letting rhythm and the flow of the song to be sacrificed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

---Start reading music sooner
    ---Get my picking squared away sooner
    ---Learn more tunes sooner

User Info Menu

I would do just about everything different. Hindsight is 20/20.

User Info Menu

I would not fear the unknown, jump in with both feet, and give it my all. Get a jazz guitar teacher. Learn to read music right away. Not get married.

User Info Menu

EAR TRAINING! Plus not get too overwhelm with the learning process. Don't believe anyone that tell you jazz is hard. However, to master it will require you to work your behind off.

User Info Menu

Started transcribing right away, instead of thinking i wasn't "ready."

User Info Menu

More emphasis on transcribing and applying everything I work on over an actual tune. Seems so obvious but hindsight is 20/20.

User Info Menu

I would have started targeting tones against a particular chord rather than playing endless scales, modes, and arpeggios. In short, I would have devoted a certain percentage of my time making music instead of strictly playing shapes.

Oh, and I would sing or hum along with the notes I played.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 04-16-2015 at 12:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd have made a big effort to be around people to play with. I think if I'd been at a good jazz school way back, I'd have found my peers a lot sooner, and gosh, paid about 1/10th what it costs today.
    David

User Info Menu

learn to read

User Info Menu

Do basically the same things but work harder on each thing.
    Listen more.

User Info Menu

Perhaps I would have located to an area that had a jazz scene.

User Info Menu

I would go back to before pre-natal and pick some parents who a a scrape of musical talent that they could pass on to me. (I sure can't blame myself for being such a mediocre player.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Perhaps I would have located to an area that had a jazz scene.
    but don't you live in or around NOLA? lol. or maybe i'm mistaken.

User Info Menu

I'm not quite sure I'd have done too much of anything differently than what I did. If I'd have not taken a 12+ year complete hiatus from guitar playing . . and If I'd have devoted more of myself to studying jazz guitar, I'd not be the person I am today. I quite pleased with who I am . . and how much time I've spent with the lady I married in 1969. I'm also very happy I was around to see my children and grand children grow into who and what they are. I'm very happy that I devoted myself and my time to becoming [somewhat] financially stable, allowing me to provide for those I've been responsible for through the years.

If I'd have devoted myself to becoming a very proficient jazz guitar player, that would have wound up being my life. That would have been more than OK for me . . if I wasn't more concerned about those I love . . than I am for myself.

I'm certainly not judging any decisions made by others. I'm just stating what worked for me.

User Info Menu

I should have stayed in Japan.

User Info Menu

What would I have done differently?
    Not a damn thing.....
    35 years of playing and counting........this has been a great ride.

User Info Menu

What would I have done differently?
    Everything, everything, everything, everything.

User Info Menu

Not a thing!....L...

User Info Menu

Frankly... I'd rather ask myself what I can do differently now..

Thinking of this makes somehow concept of 'could be - would be' very realistic.. it's like I imagine I am already 20 years in the future and I am asking myself there: well... what would you do if you could be 20 years back there?

And then I think: hey .. I am here in this pont so what am I going to do? )))))

User Info Menu

Just play your guitar (a lot) there's no magic pill....L...

User Info Menu

I wish that I had been more courageous in following my dream rather than take the 'safer' path in life. But then I wouldn't have my wonderful son. Life is a trade off.

User Info Menu

I mean it's just about choice any moment...
    and choice is existential thing...
    ability to choose is what makes a human will...

When I decide what to do now it's like every moment I decide what I am...

'could be - would be' is more historical concept... it takes a life as a progressive historic process (only with one individual in it)....

But if I look at my life not from that lenear point of you I can that nothing is different... I am here... I am there...
    I can decide right now as well as I could decide those days before... I am still the one who makes choice
    It is now that I make choice even if I do not think about it...

It is much like jazz playing... you can analyze, get prepared, study, practice... but it is really true for you only if you make choice right now
    no next day - just another 'now'

User Info Menu

I started to take Jazz lessons in the late 70's. Unfortunately the needs of my real job forced me to stop the lessons. My mistake was not getting back into it when I could have. Now, 40 years later I'm back into it. So better late than never and happy to still be able to pick up the guitar and play. No great expectations just enjoyment when something new is learned or even more when something learned previously comes into perspective.

Should have pursued it more at the times when I was in one place for any length of time and started back up a few years ago when I finally settled into my current home location. Not much one can do about time lost. What matters now is what is done with the time that lies ahead.

User Info Menu

On the "gear" side, probably would have just stuck with my tele, as I've come full circle and realized it's the perfect guitar for me. But nah...I like having some other fun stuff around the house.

I also would have never sold my twin. Not that I'm playing anywhere big enough for a twin but, iit's nice to know you have the juice...just in case.