The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 116 of 116

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I actually meant the Joe Pass Guitar Style merits a study group
    Oops! My mistake. You're right about that book.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    What's odd is that although I have exchanged many emails with Carol, my screen name on that Forum is not my own, so she doesn't know that person from Adam. She doesn't know if that person started playing guitar last year, last decade, or even longer ago. She doesn't know how well, or poorly, that person plays. Her response seemed over the top---and the sort of thing that might make others think twice before asking her a question.

Let's go with the "having a bad day" theory. (You know, that was name of a Dweezil Zappa solo album, "Having A Bad Day.")
    I get the feeling that she has bad days quite regularly:

Amazon.com: Carol Kaye's review of The Best of Joe Pass: A Step-by-Step Break...

User Info Menu

Let's go with the "having a bad day" theory. (You know, that was name of a Dweezil Zappa solo album, "Having A Bad Day.")
    Lol, yes along with his dad's "Shut up and play..." I was wondering if anyone would catch that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    I get the feeling that she has bad days quite regularly:

Amazon.com: Carol Kaye's review of The Best of Joe Pass: A Step-by-Step Break...
    Ha! That book review sounds just like her. That's not a bad day---that's her every day! And I'm fine with that. She has strong opinions and can back them up. She doesn't just talk the talk: she has long walked the walk. (In fact, i think she played bass on Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'.")

And that is one of her strong opinions: transcription isn't the best way to learn jazz. This is heresy to some, but she's held that view for a long time, both as a professional player and a long-time teacher.

User Info Menu

I sent Carol a 10 dollar money order today and asked her to send me all the picks that would cover...
    I just tried out the sample pick that came with my stuff today and I like it. Might order some in the future.

User Info Menu

Carol Kaye is old enough to be my mom (and a granny to some of you folks). And when mom talks, I STFU.

The grand dame has earnt her place. So, I don't get offended by her bluff manners; it is "mom" talking.

User Info Menu

I notice she follows up with the same topic for a couple of the following threads.

My response would be similar to yours Mark. I would have also been upset at the response. But this is hardly the first time that I have seen a teacher/pro/musician, etc. come off this way. I mean have you seen that poor kid on YouTube who they called "Little Miles?" He had the unfortunate opportunity to get feedback from his hero. Whew......What an #**^€€¥! Good on you though to keep with the message and not the messenger. You're still using the materials, and pretty much continuing this informal study group. And the lines in the book you recommended are great stuff. CK appears to know how to ingrain a lot of different concepts with just a few ideas, and in a very creative fashion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Carol Kaye is old enough to be my mom (and a granny to some of you folks). And when mom talks, I STFU.

The grand dame has earnt her place. So, I don't get offended by her bluff manners; it is "mom" talking.
    Funny you should mention moms here. Carol is a few years younger than my mom but they are of the same era. Mom is a musician too, though strictly an ear player.

I respect Carol's experience and knowledge, and her success as a teacher. But it is perhaps because of having a mother of unyielding opinions who would hear nothing to the contrary that I developed an interest in philosophy.

Here is an actual exchange that took place with my mom:
    She asked me to listen to an Elton John song. "Nikita"
    I listened to it.
    She asked me, "What do you think of it?"
    I hesitated. "Um, I don't like it as well as I like some of his other songs."
    Mom, outraged: "Why do you have to argue about everything!"
    Me, mortified: "I'm not arguing!"
    This is why I love Aristotle.

User Info Menu

Ha. Ha. That sounds exactly like Mom, my Mom. Mothers are the greatest. Thank you for sharing the story about your Mom, Mark. Brings laughter and then tears to me old bleary eyes as I miss mine daily.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, I got some Carol Kaye picks. Bought ten; she sent eleven! Or rather her son did.

The pointy end has the exact same ramp as the Ibanez GB1100 celluloid picks which have the same ramp as the Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black. The CK picks are made of a hard smooth white plastic like a poker chip and about 1.25mm thick, I guess. They are just as long as the Ibanez picks but aren't as wide at the top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Oh yeah, I got some Carol Kaye picks. Bought ten; she sent eleven! Or rather her son did.

The pointy end has the exact same ramp as the Ibanez GB1100 celluloid picks which have the same ramp as the Dunlop Tortex Pitch Black. The CK picks are made of a hard smooth white plastic like a poker chip and about 1.25mm thick, I guess. They are just as long as the Ibanez picks but aren't as wide at the top.

I look forward to getting some! (<<<<<Boy, would that have a different meaning if we were schoolkids.)

User Info Menu

Have been using Carol's pick's for about 4yrs. After playing for many,many years I keep all the picks I've collected in an old tobacco tin. There must be 100/150 plec's. Did not matter which pick I started the session with I always gravitate back to CK's pick. I seem to get a better tone with this pick whether plugged or unplugged.

User Info Menu

I was hoping to pick up a copy of the Jazz Guitar Workshop dvd, but it appears her site is down. I hope this is just temporary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertoart
    I was hoping to pick up a copy of the Jazz Guitar Workshop dvd, but it appears her site is down. I hope this is just temporary.
    I just checked and the site is up. Might have just been down for periodic maintenance.

User Info Menu

I just checked and the site is up. Might have just been down for periodic maintenance.
    Yes I just retried this morning and it was up. So no worries for anyone else that might be interested. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Speaking of Carol's picks, she recently posted about someone selling them on eBay for 22 bucks a pop---she sells them for 65 cents apiece, (cheaper if you buy 'em a batch of 'em.)
    >>>>>
    Hahaha ON EBAY ....."white vintage Carol Kaye Pick", with the quote: "her pick that did all the hits of the 1960s only $22.50" for 1 pick!
    Guess the guy didn't know, we didn't go white with gold lettering until about 1995, my picks were tortoise-shell coloring before that! he's off about 30 years.
    Nancy Sinatra once paid $65.00 for one of my picks, I warned her later "don't do that, they're scavengers", and gave her some of my picks which normally sell around 60 cents each (cheaper when you order a package)....trying hard not to laugh at peoples' gullibility, but there it is! Show-biz....<<<<<

https://www.facebook.com/Carol-Kaye-...66810/?fref=nf