The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

What was the first tune you learned/transcribed when starting out as a jazz player ?? Is it okay to start with Charlie Christian ? Miles Davis ? ................... Im thinking of Charlie's I got rhythm. Wondering if thats the right tune to transcribe as a jazz guitar beginner . Thank you

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A common one in Jazz improv classes I've been around is Cannonball Adderley's Autumn Leaves.

User Info Menu

First: Two choruses of Giant Steps and the progression (weird place to start, but I was determined).

Second: Chord-Melody arrangement for The Way You Look Tonight (Played at an outdoor wedding as the bride walked down the isle).

Working on now: More Chord-Melody arrangements and some Grant Green, Charlie Christian, Kenny Burrell and Wes Montgomery. And I have a big focus on singing what I play, and being able to play what I sing.

User Info Menu

Thank you acoustictones and docbop ...... Yes some suggested Adderley's autumn leaves . Haven't started yet but ive been listening to it a lot ...........

User Info Menu

Personally, I'm pretty sure I didn't start in the right place But it was still fun!!!

I'd been listening to jazz all of my life, and found some tab to Giant Step and just said "why not". I think it was just about the challenge. And now it's all about the tunes and communicating with others.

User Info Menu

@ docbop , acoutictones ........ Have you transcribed Connan Adderley's Autumn Leaves ? Listening to it number of times i have a feeling its not gonna be easy on a guitar .Lol

User Info Menu

Road song, by wes.

User Info Menu

Thank you Marvin Moody ........ Ill look it up in Youtube

User Info Menu

I don't think theres a wrong place to start. Do a tune that you love like crazy. One that you can sing from memory. One you can hear in your memory when doing other things.

User Info Menu

Thank you Eddy B

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, if you're talking about starting out, I'd take a look at Blue Bossa, I view that one as a milestone in my jazz playing, when I finally started understanding 'how to solo'

User Info Menu

Did I miss the memo that said you could learn something different than Sweet Georgia Brown as their first tune?

User Info Menu

Thank you marwin moody and cosmic gumbo for your replies ......... much appreciated

User Info Menu

My first was Wes' West Coast Blues... The single line stuff is pretty easy.

Grant Green is usually the recommendation I make to students...green dolphin streets a good one

User Info Menu

Thank you stringsalive ...... That goes to my list of tunes to learn

User Info Menu

I hope that this adds to the discussion, but what does the team think about really digging into the jazz-blues before attempting the standards? You can practice running the changes with short and long II-Vs or you can use pentatonics, bebop dominant scales etc. In other words, quite a cpmprehensive toolkit that can later be used on standards. I think this is where I'll concentrate my efforts over the next year.

User Info Menu

Green Dolphin Street or maybe Maiden Voyage.

User Info Menu

No problem, a tip: try your hand at transcribing the harmony as well .... A step a lot of people skip/take for granted. good luck transcribing, and have fun!

User Info Menu

Thank you Henry robinett . That goes to my list too and Thank you Stu Foleyand and Stringsalive. Very helpful advice .Really appreciate it

User Info Menu

Those were just probably MY first tunes. But Autumn Leaves is a great one. Killer Joe are Both cool starter tunes. Summertime was another of my first jazz tunes and a great starter.

User Info Menu

There is probably a jazz tune that made you want to learn jazz - I would say to learn that one, as long as it is not ridiculously difficult. For me, it was Gee Baby Ain't I Good to You.

I would say to learn what you like, not what you are supposed to like. I've talked to some pros who encourage this approach too. I learned Confirmation before Green Dolphin Street...

(of course, one should keep one eye on the list of common standards and chip away at those...I just learned Stella as my 70th tune or something...most people learn it much sooner. Also Bird Blues and Rhythm Changes should be tackled)

User Info Menu

Thank you henryrobinett and coolvinny Definitely taking all advices ....