The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30
    I'll keep that in my mind. Thanks alot Matt.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was educated as classical guitarist and for a long time considered the classical technique as more appropriate, healthy for hands etc.

if you play straight-ahead jazz then in my mind it is more close to what is called historically informed performance - like playing lute or cembalo for early music. Piano technique does not work on cembalo.
    Classical guitar technique does not work for lute.

So what I mean is that all the 'wrong', 'non-orthodxal' techniques used in old days by mostly self-taught jazz guitarists mostly on steel stringed archtops effected much on the intonation articulation phrasing etc.

Some people say jazz is a style of music, not instrument... well, for me jazz music is strictly connected with instruments and certain technical issues very much, sound/timbre also matters much more in jazz than in traditional classics.
    I really started to get points much better when I tried to imitate old techniques on archtop guitars...

As per health - well, jazz never was about making body more healthy, it is for the health of the soul)))

User Info Menu

I think classical technique is just fine for playing jazz. The player and his or her level of musicianship are the main issue. I cite as a case in point the arrangements and playing of jazz standards by Roland Dyens. If you check out his version of My Funny Valentine or Minor Swing on YT, you will be hard pressed to find fault with his playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    I think classical technique is just fine for playing jazz. The player and his or her level of musicianship are the main issue. I cite as a case in point the arrangements and playing of jazz standards by Roland Dyens. If you check out his version of My Funny Valentine or Minor Swing on YT, you will be hard pressed to find fault with his playing.
    What faults? It is not about fault.. it is just belonging to certain style or not. Understanding of what jazz is..

Dyens is no jazz for me - some kind of mixture of French chansons/cabaret and gipsy/flamenco...

If I put on one side Charlie Christian, Lester Yound, Duke, Parker and on the other Deyns - for me they will belong absolutely different musical worlds.

I would add that jazz guitarists are not quite guitarists to me, they are way too special, too different from others (rock, classical etc), they are more like pianists or singers. I do not like guitar. I like only jazz guitar... this is just my feel. I do not press on anybody to take it up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    If you haven't already done so, check out Gene Bertoncini to listen to and his book "Approaching the Guitar." He's also got a good instructional DVD which is a master class format rather than a step by step approach. Gene is the foremost proponent of nylon string jazz guitar to me. Also check out Romero Lubambo.
    http://lubambomethod.openstudionetwork.com/

Romero has online lessons now.