The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslandman
    And what gauges do you use TruthHertz?
    There really is no answer, jameslandman. I change my action and string sets regularly, like some horn players change their reeds. On a solidbody (Chinese semi hollow Les Paul no name) I can go from 12 top to 13 on a 12 gauge string set. On a light hollow (Eastman) I'd go from a 13 on a 12 set or Thomastic swing 13's which are a beast unto themselves.
    But I shouldn't even be saying, because I do believe that string gauge is a very personal thing, and even on the same instrument, I'll change out depending on whether I think it sounds too bright, too dark, or not appropriate for the music I'm going after.
    I'll sometimes go for a lighter gauge with lower action as I'm working on legato lines. And 3 weeks later go for a 13 with higher action when I'm going after a certain quality of tone. On my Westland guitar I use Thomastic because it brings out the woodiness of the 15 inch body. On my thin Eastman I use 12, etc. So you see I'd really recommend you really not take others' advice on something so touch sensitive as strings, and find out what gauge fits YOUR guitar, with the touch, picking choice (I use fingers and a light touch, it's a different guitar for my friends who play heavy pick), pickups, cables, amp and whether you need to cut through or not so much.
    Strings choice... not really sharable useful information. Or that's my feel. The day I find the perfect all 'round string, I'll invest in that company's stock!
    You want to read some entertaining "debate"? Search for any of the threads on the best strings. ...hey aren't we about overdue for another one of those?

David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, Learning 7 after knowing 6 was a real adjustment. I had to reorient myself in a lot of ways. I've never looked back and a six seems like it's missing something to me now. Plus, to play voicings in different ranges and not need to shift to a lower position, it's nice and a different way of playing. But that's just my experience.

User Info Menu

Sorry I understand That it is personal, I use elixers or d'addario phosphor bronze on my flattops.
    I asked because I have no experience what so ever with the Archtops and certainly not for A eventual 7 string, I would have no clue what to get. I know that I would mainly play it acoustic, but that is about it.
    Also there is not as much available here in the Netherlands as in the USA, so I probably would have to order them abroad.

User Info Menu

The biggest thing for a 7 is finding the string that has the right tension for the low A for the scale on your guitar. My teacher prefers a .080 Elixir bass string, and his tailpiece was constructed to accommodate the larger string end. You have to play around and find out what works for you.

User Info Menu

JSanta, thank you and the rest of his set is .013 .056?

User Info Menu

Nope, he plays 12-52 like me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    The biggest thing for a 7 is finding the string that has the right tension for the low A for the scale on your guitar. .. You have to play around and find out what works for you.
    What he said...

No, seriously, I went through a long process to get used to, feel and adjust my string sets. Maybe a good starting point would be to use a gauge you know as a 6 stringer. Take the gauge difference between the 5th and 6th and interpolate a string gauge for the 7. The fatter you go, the tighter the tension, the thinner the gauge the looser a given note will be. For low B it'd tend to be slightly smaller gauge than for an A but who knows?
    Hey have fun and report back on this thread when you're in the 7 world.
    David

User Info Menu

For 7 stringers these might be an option, if I am not mistaken it is what Bucky is using:

http://www.labella.com/products/800-7-black-nylon/

I used a couple set of their 800M (6 strings) for a while on my Epi JP and they gave a smooth tone and were very comfortable to play. They are quite heavy in size but their tension is not so

User Info Menu

I met Bucky a few months ago and he is using a Mapes low A (I have not been able to find exactly what he uses). It looked like a bronze/steel hybrid string, and it sounded wonderful. I believe he was using the tapewounds for the other wound strings though, but with 100% certainty, not the low A. Wonderful and generous man by the way.

User Info Menu

I ran into these, anybody any experience with these?

Results for newtone archtop strings - Search

User Info Menu

I've played 7-string for over 40 years, lessons with Bucky at the beginning, opened for John's Ellington tour last year, now I play 7-string nylon as well as electric. Here's the thing: it's very easy. Well, it's no harder than 6, so it's very hard. Low A is simple, same notes as 5th, an octave lower. Low B is like retuning for a classical piece, a little more involved, not as practical for jazz, but also not impossible. The biggest problem is that very few jazz players have the right-hand chops needed for really effective 7-string performance. So, get some classical or flamenco lessons first, get control over the thumb, arpeggios, scales, block chords, tone, speed. Do it on a 7-string classical if you like, just do it. It will save lots of frustration and wasted time.

Strings? Up to you, but I found a baritone set with low .064 and .057 for 7th and 6th on the electric that are great, for nylon, D'Addario makes .059 and .060, great for 7th. One thing that's interesting is that the 7th will pretty much never wear out, I change mine every few YEARS. If you want to mess around, the little Ibanez solid-body that resembles an SG is easy to play, 25" scale, nice neck and fingerboard, a little narrow for classical players, but still very functional, available online for as little as $200. I put an EMG passive 7-string pickup in one, sounds great. Only a coupe of reasonable nylon 7s around: Giannini, Kremona, Bartolex. Godin recently released a Multiac nylon 7, looks very good, I'm looking to try one, very practical and well-made, perfect for jazz, and synth access. I've converted several 6-string classicals and flamencos to 7, flamenco works best for jazz, quick response, less feedback. easier to amplify and EQ.

Oh, and the real key? A Bose Compact or L1 system, made to order for 7-string. get a good processor (Zoom A1 for nylon, Digitech or Boss for electric), you'll never look back. 90% of my work is on 7, the Bose makes it magical and easy, especially the compact.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    . Low B is like retuning for a classical piece, a little more involved, not as practical for jazz, but also not impossible. .
    I respect you ronjazz, and all those who play low A tuning so don't get me wrong here. Both tunings are more involved and difficult before you know it, and easy and natural after. There's a learning curve for adding another string but playing B-er's advocate, low B is like the relationship of the 6 to the 5th and low A is like when you tune a 6 string to drop D tuning. That's how it feels to a low B player.
    I have no problem playing jazz with it, as a matter of fact, I like having the fifth below the E string on the same fret. It's the same relationship you have between your other lower strings. My bass lines flow without fretboard shape interruption.

I dare say if you asked some people speaking Basque if they thought their language was hard, because they speak it without thinking, and they'd likely say no. Now hand me a guitar with a low A and tell me to play something, I'd be confounded. But maybe that's because I'm getting old here, ha ha! You say potato...

David

User Info Menu

I skimmed over this thread and might have missed if someone else posted this. But John Pizzarelli has a dvd out. I think its Exploring Jazz Guitar.
    very entertaining.

User Info Menu

http://www.amazon.com/John-Pizzarelli-Exploring-Jazz-Guitar/dp/B002CIM8JY

User Info Menu

I don't see pictures?

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys,

Today I ordered some books from amazon about 7 string jazz Guitar

User Info Menu

I decided to go for it and ordered a 7 string with Miss Lora,

Thanks for all the great advice

User Info Menu

Wish you the best. What'd you get? I have an instrument built by former Eastman luthiers; a 15 inch maple with a maho/maple 3 piece neck and I love the sound both acoustic and plugged in. I have a Benedetto s7 floater set pretty low, just off the top.
    Let's hear it as soon as we can!
    David

User Info Menu

I ordered a 18" 7 string, since I will be just playing it at home I want as much acoustic sound as possible, We talked about some custom adjustments, which you will see on the pictures once I get it.

I am really looking forward to be starting with this instrument , Still waiting for the 7 string books from amazon though

User Info Menu

Can I ask you 7 string players what kind of practice amp can handle the low A, I have been checking out a lot of talks on the forum, but I kinda got lost.
    I am looking for something That I can use at home.

Thanks

User Info Menu

A small bass amp is the way to go, along with an inexpensive guitar processor like the cheapest Digitech pedal for reverbs, EQ, tuning, etc.

User Info Menu

I've never had any problem with my regular old 6 string amp, either the Princeton with an Eminence Hemp or even the Champ with the Weber speaker in it. I even perform on the open with a roland battery amp with Weber speakers and have no problem. I do like the clear attack and acoustical transients from a smaller speaker and in my experience, a good quality speaker can handle my 7th just fine. That's why I've always switched out speakers from the onset.
    I've played through bass practice amps but I found that for my taste, the sound I was looking for was in a specific guitar amp (tube, modded for headroom, high quality speaker) and I didn't have problems with the low end. I tune to B, so I can't say with authority that those lower few hertz would make a difference.
    By the way, most of my time is spent above the 5th fret and I do use the 7th string up there a lot. It's just the overall range I'm grateful for. And when you think of it, that's the same range of a 6 string guitar anyway. When I'm down in the very low notes, it's not really that often, and it's always clear with my setup.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    I've never had any problem with my regular old 6 string amp, either the Princeton with an Eminence Hemp or even the Champ with the Weber speaker in it. I even perform on the open with a roland battery amp with Weber speakers and have no problem. I do like the clear attack and acoustical transients from a smaller speaker and in my experience, a good quality speaker can handle my 7th just fine. That's why I've always switched out speakers from the onset.
    I've played through bass practice amps but I found that for my taste, the sound I was looking for was in a specific guitar amp (tube, modded for headroom, high quality speaker) and I didn't have problems with the low end. I tune to B, so I can't say with authority that those lower few hertz would make a difference.
    By the way, most of my time is spent above the 5th fret and I do use the 7th string up there a lot. It's just the overall range I'm grateful for. And when you think of it, that's the same range of a 6 string guitar anyway. When I'm down in the very low notes, it's not really that often, and it's always clear with my setup.

David
    Hi David, is your princeton a 65 reverb?